don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Also "You're fucking crazy". And we thought it was a big deal when Zebrahead said "Kickin' ass fast". I wonder how the hell Sega allowed this.
    #ShonenSweep

2. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    tbf they've gotten away with worse lol
    [​IMG]

3. RikohZX

RikohZX

I'm wondering if this is actually made for Sonic Frontiers, or just them collaborating with the band to release it as a thing for Frontiers while being its own song.

4. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    FYI there is a separate version that is censored with the Fucks gone.

Wow. Listened to it again, this REALLY does not sound like something I'd associate with Sonic. It definitely seems like they wrote this song first and were later approached to collaborate with SEGA. I don't mind though, because this song fucking slaps.

5. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    I don't know, I mean "Vandalize my heart"? "My bed is in ruins"? Jesus. I know the English one is censored, but what are the chances kids aren't going to find this?

According to the official tweet, it's the ending theme to the game, so...I dunno. If it's not actually made for Frontiers, it'll be the first time since ShTH that a Sonic game has licensed a song.

6. "We decided to make an emo rock song, but not put the most emo character in the franchise inside the game. Please understand"

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Vandalize is such a banger. I'm genuinely loving this song.

The lyrics are a little strange for a Sonic vocal theme though, especially considering that ending themes such as Sweet Dream 06, Dear My Friend, and Speak Your Heart all related to the content of the games' stories, it kinda makes me wonder wtf will be going down in this game.

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Vandalise is one of the best vocal tracks in the entire series history. It's thrown me right back to my secondary school years, and it's incredible. I love it, and I wouldn't be embarrassed in the slightest for anyone to hear me listening to it.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. It makes me wonder if Sonic Frontiers will end with a cliffhanger.

10. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I think Vandalize might just be a licensed track instead of something actually created specifically for Frontiers. It was also released as a single for One OK Rock's upcoming album. (not that there's anything wrong with a licensed song being used, maybe the lyrics actually do fit the story thematically)

The song we heard in that TV Tokyo ad might actually be a unique new song that One OK Rock made for Frontiers though.

11. MH MD

MH MD

This band is incredible, they also did an exclusive japanese theme for DmC in the past, it's incredible

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  12. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Yeah, I'm just gonna say it: Vandalize is a top-tier Sonic song. Only a select few Sonic vocal themes are genuinely great outside the context of the series (or just being in a "Sonic" mood in general), like This Machine, but I'm honestly willing to put this up there. I don't think it's hype bias either, because I was hyped for Forces and I hated Fist Bump. I don't even care if it's technically licensed. The last time I liked a vocal theme this much was With Me.

13. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

An ending theme reveal? Interesting. I wonder what the main theme has in store for us.

I appreciate the tone this trailer manages to pull off. I really hope the game manages to do the same.

14. RikohZX

RikohZX

The whole game exhumes a solemn, regretful kinda energy or something, and this theme feels like the cap off where things probably won't end all happy-go-lucky like most of the rest of the series.

15. Taylor

Taylor

It would be hilarious if this had thematic relevance but it's probably just a song they licensed cuz they thought it sounded cool. Shadow did the same thing for most of its vocal songs :V

16. Well a lot of those songs in Shadow did actually have thematic relevance given the "arc" Shadow undergoes in that game.

17. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Eh, I'm not really feeling this one, but it made more sense once I noticed it was an ending theme. It just doesn't strike me as Sonic music. xD It's no Open Your Heart OR Cosmic Eternity, if that makes sense.

18. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    What even makes a Sonic song a Sonic song? From Pumpkin Hill to Infinite's theme the franchise has had so many genres of music over the years.

19. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Haha, that's a good point! I don't know! I'm just not feeling this one.

20. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Eh, not really. The only vocal song we know wasn't written specifically for the game was Almost Dead. There was also Broken, but that doesn't count since it was never released. I Am, Never Turn Back, Chosen One, All Hail Shadow, all those were definitely made for the game. Not sure about Waking Up, but I think it was too.

This.

The series has gone from J-pop to 80s house music to ska to hard rock to industrial rock to rap to jazz to electronica to piano love ballads. So now we're doing J-rock emo. Hell, I'm down. Fuck it.

I think part of what makes it feel "off" though for some people is that Sonic music is rarely this...well, edgy. Even with the censored lyrics, this song is heavier with its themes than anything in Shadow. The lyrics go beyond mere death and violence, they're about an abusive relationship and also, if I'm interpreting it right, stockholm syndrome. I know "emo" is used in a derogatory way by some, and has been for 15 years, but speaking purely in musical terms, this IS emo music, and One Ok Rock is an emo band. Now, I happen to LIKE emo music, and I think it's a damn good song, but even I have to admit this is a huge tonal whiplash from what we've come to expect from Sonic. If they can make it work in the story, though? It might be the best writing the series has had in over 10 years, or at the very least, the most interesting.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List