don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I honestly didn't expect this to get the reaction it did :V .I wrote it in ten minutes when I was lying in bed. Lol!

@Flare's post rubbed me the wrong way because I interpreted it as taking boss fight footage which is clearly very janky and using a small aspect of it it to argue that the scene has great presentation. Which I thought was disingenuous because if there's one thing I really don't think the game has done well, it's good presentation. But upon re-reading the post, I can see that @Flare was just using that scene to illustrate some attention to detail put into the whole game. So yeah, my bad :ssh:

That said, I don't agree with the idea that we need to be sensitive to people liking the game and therefore be careful over what we are saying. It's a discussion forum. As long as we aren't attacking people personally and are criticising ideas I don't see what the problem is. There's a difference between just being doom and gloom and saying Frontiers is going to be awful without any thought put into it because of extreme cynicism, and criticising the points of posts.

When I was talking about how we shouldn't complain about people liking games earlier in the thread, I was thinking more along the lines of being angry that people even like games that are bad. I like loads of games which are poorly made (certain Dynasty Warriors titles, Shenmue for example). But i think that's clearly different than criticising points which are positive about a given game. Like if someone said Shenmue has terrible voice acting, yeah, can't argue with that :V . But I would have a problem with someone saying I shouldn't like Shenmue, if you know what I mean?

On the topic of tone, which I think is an interesting one, just assume that I'm not intensely invested in what I'm saying. My posts probably come across differently than how I am in real life, because you can't hear my voice and see me facial expressions. I usually assume the same for other people on the forum too. I don't assume most of us here really are intensely invested in our posts. Not to say I haven't done embarrassing things in the Sonic fandom which I'm not ashamed of, because I absolutely have. Lol. But I'm in my early thirties and a teacher. I worry about the kids giving me grief in form time, not whether Sonic Frontiers is going to be bad :V

2. Flare

Flare

No harm done, thank you @Laura for your explanation! :thumbsup:
    I also know it's really hard to understand tone behind text, so I am glad we could clear up any misunderstanding.

I did see a comparison they are improving his falling animation but there still is more I'd like to be done. I DO like the impact of the homing attack, but there something feels really off with how it snaps to the homing attack ball animation. Feels like maybe the size of the ball is too small and the positioning is off when going from his back flip to ball.

Slowed gif of homing attack animation

But I like that there is screen shake when you do hit an enemy. Adds some impact that is missing from the homing attack.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  3. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    As a point of positivity, while Sage makes me laugh because it does bring a bit of 2000s Sonic to me, I do like her design to be honest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    These days, I'm actually more like those three last lines: I throw in stuff I feel like saying, but I'm not really willing to discuss anything about the game, I'd only have to convince someone of coming to my side if that would mean something to me (finding a partner for multiplayer, or getting the game for free :V). Each one has to decide if they like the game or not, we're not flatmates who have to bear with each others' tastes in gaming, so, if I know I want to play the game, opinions here won't change my mind, only the actual release of the game. My first videogame ever was a Game & Watch Mario Bros. import, and then an Atari 2600, jankness and shoddity are my realms.

But, see, the good thing about the dramatic levels people's passionate comments reach is that, actual passion. I can be more leveled about the good and the bad of this now because I'm interested but not giving too much of a damn about it, I'm even tired of so much classic sonic and I'm more eager to try some cool 3D game after playing Mania (Forces wasn't cool), and, as I said before, I'm liking this more for being my kind of general game than being a Sonic game, so it's not like Sonic is very important for me right now as a consumer.

But I support the idea of giving actual backup to positive and negative comments rather than "This looks fantastic!" or "This looks awful!", because is important to notice details, not to have shared opinions. I'm more ready to change side if I that's a possibility when people give me actual arguments and not just a "How can it be you don't see it the same way as I do?". That's useless and boring.

5. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    At this point in my life, I have learned to expect nothing. Especially not from a game company / developers that constantly failed to impress me at least from 2013 (I'm looking at You, Lost World).

It's perfectly fine to be excited for the game, and it's okay to be sceptical. I'm sceptical.

At the end of the day, I suppose, we all are just afraid of the Sonic Cycle™ :colbert:

6. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    New video interview with Iizuka:

Noteworthy stuff
    -Sonic "resolves the issues" on Kronos before going to Ares (he intentionally doesn't go into detail)
    -Ares seems to focus on Knuckles: Knuckles is imprisoned on Ares, and Sonic's objective on Ares is to figure out how to help him
    -The animated short explains how Knuckles got to the islands
    -Kocos are very important to the story
    Everything else is stuff we've pretty much heard before, right down to his opinion on reactions to the early June footage.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    By the trailer I thought the AI girl (SAGE?) is trying to capture the Kocos and Sonic is saving them. Was it not confirmed yet?

9. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    I'm starting to wonder if this game isn't reusing concepts from the rumored cancelled third Storybook game, themed around Greek mythology. Ares being Knuckles seems like something that game would do.

10. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member

I think these guys are doing the vocal theme for the game. The description says they worked on the ending song called "Vandalise"

11. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    They've dropped a preview of the vocal theme:

It's alright, I'm sure it'll grow on me like Infinite did.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Holy shit, that's a banger tbh.

13. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    i am the opposite of disappointed

14. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Holy shit, it actually sounds good. I'm impressed.

And it's by a J-rock band? That's a first for the series, isn't it? I wonder if there will be a version with Japanese vocals.

EDIT: There actually is a Japanese version. Wow.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
  15. netscapenow

netscapenow

Damn, that sounds like a song that'd be in a late 2000s skateboarding game, and I love it. Can't wait for the full thing.

Edit: And here is said full thing, courtesy of Tails' Channel on Twitter

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  16. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    this definitely seems like an end credits song, rather than a main theme
    gonna be funny when the kids who heard this song in Frontiers find this version and hear the line "Fuck the pain away"

17. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    It is the ending theme of the game, it says so in the description of the preview ;)

• List
  18. OH GOD, A ROCK SONG. IT FEELS LIKE FOREVER. NEVER LEAVE US AGAIN.

19. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Holy shit I love this. I was not expecting this today but what a welcome surprise.

20. Today is a huge win for weaboo trash Sonic fans. I am weaboo trash Sonic fan