don't click here

Mega Drive Mini 2 Announced (Includes Mega CD Games)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Ashura96, May 27, 2022.

1. Yeah I get it's just a novelty product and I get the issues with Lunar and Popfulmail for the west, I suspect it's not all down to Vic, but I don't understand why there is no SoulStar on the Pal or Western Sega Mini 2. That game was a true showcase for the hardware and really showed what the ASIC chip could do.

Still I'm looking forward to the Mini 2 and no doubt one will be able to mod it too.

2. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

People in the U.K should keep an eye out today and tomorrow for news on when and where you can pre-order, they’re meant to be providing details this week; presumably tomorrow, as it is Monday.

3. Xhojn

Xhojn

Thanks! I’ve been wondering when it would be announced!

4. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

It’s up! Amazon exclusive, pre-orders now open :)

5. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Tried to order but it says it won't deliver to my address in the UK. So I can't order one. Fuck :argh:

EDIT: I added a new alternative address to my AmazonUK account (basically the same address but with a few tweaks) and now I've been able to order a Mini 2.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    £105, that's not cheap. Dang.

Bought, however, I suspect this might be the only simple chance to get one.

7. Xhojn

Xhojn

Thanks, saw the email notification of you responding and jumped straight on to Amazon!

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    For those wondering whether Sega has the original... uh... "templates" for Mega Drive game boxes:

[​IMG]

Nope! They just stitch things together and hope for the best, just like the rest of us. The image resolution probably won't be high enough for you to see this in the product itself.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  9. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Sold out already, or does it just say it's unavailable because I'm not in the UK?

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    It would be sold out then. Amazon isn't going to lock you out of seeing prices even if they can't ship to you.

11. MastaSys

MastaSys

Was there any European MD2 with that power button?
    Or is this classic king of unpolised Sega just recycling the JP shell? :rolleyes:

12. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    Pretty sure it's just recycling the JP shell. Shame about the lack of authenticity, but understandable given this seems to have only been planned to be a JP exclusive.

I'm a bit bummed out that I missed out on the Euro version. I don't get the same nostalgia buzz from the JP or Genesis versions, I really wanted that Euro style box. Looks like I might have had trouble securing one without a UK address though anyway. Where's my amazon.com.au exclusive Sega?

I know this sounds a bit stupid, but the appeal of these things to me is mostly in the packaging and the miniature shell that I can put on display. I don't really care much about the games on it or the electronics inside, as I have plenty of other devices and other ways to play mega drive games. Since they seem to be claiming that the small production run is due to supply chain issues, and I'm guessing that's mostly to do with the electronics, would it be stupid to suggest that they could have produced and sold an empty shell? I would have bought one, just so I could have it on display and It's not much different in concept to their empty mega cd add-ons. I'm assuming that producing extra plastic shells and cardboard boxes wouldn't have been that costly. And I'm sure some industrious individuals would be able to squeeze in a custom raspberry pi or something if you really wanted it to be functional. It's kind of a missed opportunity for extra sales (but I guess it could have also cheapened the whole idea).

13. MastaSys

MastaSys

You probably already checked, but just to make sure, did you try other European amazon storefronts such as amazon.de or amazon.es?
    They also have it there.

14. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    I hadn't checked the other Euro storefronts, thanks for the tip. I just pre-ordered one from Deutschland :)

15. synchronizer

synchronizer

Any word on which version of Sonic CD is being released? Is it the JPN soundtrack version?
    Ristar, I assume, will be the North American port with the altered story and sprites, is that right?

I'm sad those Lunar games are JPN-exclusive. They'd be neat to try.

16. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    The US trailer showed Sonic CD with the US soundtrack, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't get the other soundtrack by changing the language on the system.

17. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I'm pretty sure they said you could switch between both.

18. synchronizer

synchronizer

I wonder if you can get the Japanese Ristar?

19. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    The email Sega sent me about the console a few days ago looked pretty radical.

20. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Amazon just charged me for this, so I guess it's shipping out soon!