don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Probably want to put that into the headcanon thread.

2. Considering all of the variants of similar events with differing stories, logically multiple universe timelines still likely exist. Three different versions of Unleashed. Two of Generations. The animated Mania conflicting with the events of Encore. I was actually trying to map out all of the little variations. It all adds up really quick if you try and make sense of things, so it wouldn't be out of the question. Let alone things we know are their own seperate canon like Mario & Sonic as well as the mobile titles. I kinda get the feeling all of the Java games sort of form their own little universe.

3. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    So... what's up with Boom Knuckles?
    I recall from one episode, that Tail's mentions Knuckles is from Angel Island. Do we know anything more than that?

Also, regarding the Sonic Multiverse theories, I'm pretty sure that if Boom had been a success, the Avatar in Forces wouldn't exist. The three Sonic's facing off the Eggman Empire...

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    He also reveals he's still the last of the Echidna one episode. It was actually quite sad.

5. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    Is Chaos dead in the current canon?

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I like the use of current canon, since everyone knows it's subject to change.

Chaos turns up after Sonic Adventure in Sonic Battle, so he does otherwise seem to be active at present, just away from things.

7. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    is all of sonic battle even canon? it seemingly ignores heroes outright

8. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I think it still is, and it should happen after Shadow the Hedgehog in the chronology.

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Not really: Shadow kind of died at the end of Sonic Adventure 2, so Sonic Heroes is needed, and E-123 Omega is referenced. Looks like he was built in Gimme Shelter:
    [​IMG]
    Best logic is that Sonic Battle takes place after Shadow the Hedgehog, where he gets some semblance of his memories back. Though that's currently headcanon, awaiting confirmation from SEGA.

10. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Gemerl is canonically based on Emerl, so...

That would be because Battle and Heroes were developed around the same time, and by different Sonic Team divisions IIRC. Battle's plot was written as a Heroes sequel, but many of Heroes' concepts changed during development, such as Gamma being replaced by Omega, or Chaos being dumped from the cast. So Battle has remnants of early Heroes plans, like appearances of Gamma and Chaos. Some script changes were made to accommodate Heroes' final version, such as Battle!Gamma being stated to be a separate copy of the original called Chaos Gamma, and a minor Omega mention, but other things like non-amnesiac Shadow remained.

It still works for the most part as long as you place it after Shadow the Hedgehog.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  11. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Is this still on in the Encyclo-speed-ia?

12. To Forte. Besides mentioning Angel Island, the writers did a q&a saying there was no Master or Chaos Emeralds. Just the Chaos Crystal's. So while Knuckles may be the last of his kind Angel Island wasn't airborne supposedly. So that timeline was drastically different.

And to your other point, the avatar was the original pitch for Forces. The fact it was cut back from what was the original concept to fit more Sonic in. I could see them toying with a Boom Sonic, considering all of the artwork released around that time, but the fact that it just ended as some Avatar parts is probably as far as they went with it.

Handy edit feature
    https://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/02/new-sonic-boom-details-no-chaos-emeralds/
    Of course. The youtube video is broken about the Chaos Emeralds. Not sure if an alternate of the video was available somewhere.

13. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Chaos is dead (or more correctly in whatever that heaven-like thing is we see at the end of Adventure, with Tikal). This has been stated multiple times and only contradicted by Battle, which has a dozen other contradictions (hey, remember how the Chaos Emeralds are indestructible and unshatterable? That's an issue).

Battle's the one who's not actually canon (not in its entirety), not Chaos being around.

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Sonic Blast, Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 all would like to know your location.

If the Master Emerald can be shattered, I'm sure the Chaos Emeralds are not going to be stronger than it. Do you have anything evidencing that the Chaos Emeralds are indestructible and unshatterable?

15. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Yes, Sega said so.

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    SEGA also said the Master Emerald was a green rock with no additional powers or relation to the Chaos Emeralds.

Can you at least provide the quote in question?

17. Kyro

Kyro

I dont recall this, can you share that quote with me? Im really curious about them saying that about the master emerald

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining

1:04:51

"Any good stories about SEGA being reminded of something that is canon that they just forgot?"

"Well, as alluded to earlier in the episode, I had to remind them that the Master Emerald does stuff...

...it can neutralise Chaos Emeralds, I got a note back saying 'No it doesn't', that it keeps the island afloat, it gave Knuckles a vision that one time..."

I'm slightly paraphrasing, admittedly, but from what he says SEGA appears to have honestly thought the Master Emerald was a shiny rock Knuckles randomly guards, and didn't really do anything.

This is one of the many, many reasons I despair for the series, to the point I'm on Junko's hitlist next.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  19. Kyro

Kyro

...wow, thats a bit, dumb on their part. Would explain why they just, stopped mentioning it for several games beyond adventure 2

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Indeed. It's also why I'm so agitated with the Sonic Origins revcons, since now they can simply remove those elements from the canon for 'streamlining'.

And again, before people say they won't do so for the Adventure Era, if the Bible Leak was accurate Sonic X replaced the Adventure Era and removed at least Team Dark's story in Sonic Heroes from canon, if not that whole game, since it was incompatible with Sonic X's third season. If accurate, revcons to the Adventure Era have already happened in the series.

Also, the Tails flashback cutscene in Sonic Adventure doesn't mesh with Sonic Origins.