don't click here

Let's talk Sega Saturn controllers

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by SpiderInStockings, May 31, 2022.

1. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Has an SLS pad ever been tested on the Switch?

2. Kobz

Kobz

Down on the Upside Member
    FLA
    Not a Switch owner, but it's worth noting the PC Virtua Stick I mentioned was released by SLS roughly alongside their Saturn pads, so they might share some common internals. The SLS stick works on PS4 via a Brook PS3-to-PS4 converter, so it's quite possible the pads would work on Switch via their PS3/4-to-Switch converter. They're not listed among the compatible devices, but neither was the stick in my case -- and the stick's default button mapping suggests the converter was intentionally programmed to support it.

3. wonder-inc

wonder-inc

I have only officially played on the Model 2 controller, and the 3D Controller. And I think both are great and very comfortable to hold. I do think the Model 2 one though size wise is a bit small for me, but I can manage with it.
    I also played a 3rd party Model 1 styled controller, and I didn't feel that one was anywhere near as comfortable.

4. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I've got a model 2 controller. I got a chance to hold a model 1 and didn't like it as much.

I also have a Sega Saturn wheel. Far and away from the best wheel I've ever used, but playing F1 Challenge with it is fun. I need to see if there are any Saturn wheels with pedals as well...

5. aria

aria

growl from the digital haze Member
    i saw soned2 supports chaotix five minutes ago
    Never used a model 1 controller, but I love the retro-bit wired Saturn controller it’s my go to for fighting games and feels prefect in my hands size wise but I also have small hands lol

6. GoldeMan

GoldeMan

Texas
    If the RetroBit recreations are anything similar to the original Model 2 controllers then it's my goto for any game that isn't 3D. Everything about it just feels so right. I also got a USB version for my PC to play PC games and it made games like Pizza Tower and other platformers feel like second nature. The clear plastic version also just looks so cool to me. I really want to use one of the 3D Pads someday.

I also own 2 third party controllers, one from Performance and one from Nakitek. The Nakitek one feels just clumsy. It isn't terrible but it just feels off, the buttons feel too stiff and the Dpad is just terrible. The Performance pad was better and felt nice in the hand but the buttons were a bit too flimsy. It's a shame because I actually like Performance's stuff usually. I keep them both just for the novelty of it but I would never choose to use them.

7. aria

aria

growl from the digital haze Member
    i saw soned2 supports chaotix five minutes ago
    This is a reminder that I should pick up a second retro-bit usb controller in case they go out of print.

8. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    The most I know about Saturn controllers is that Nintendo used modified Saturn/MD controllers while making Super Mario 64 [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    The 3D pad is great stuff, like a proto Dreamcast controller. My go to is always the model 2 controller but if any game has the option to use the 3D pad I always take it out. It’s a bit too sensitive on some games though, like the special stages in 3D blast a small twitch sends sonic across the half pipe.

10. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    The 3D pad has my favourite control "stick" of any controller, hands down. Would spooge everywhere if a company were ever brave enough to replicate it for a modern fully-featured twin-stick controller. Preferably with six face buttons. Maybe an unlikely dream, but 8bitdo is resurrecting the microswitch "d-pad" for their new NEO-GEO controllers, so anything's possible.

11. Kobz

Kobz

Down on the Upside Member
    FLA
    That would be awesome. Considering the issues modern analog controllers have with stick drift, particularly Nintendo's Joy-Cons, it's disappointing that Sega remains the only major console manufacturer to use magnetic, contactless Hall sensors in their own controllers AFAIK.

I'd settle for a modernized version of the stock 3D pad at this point. I know Retro-Bit has issues getting its designs off the pages and into the market, but I wish they'd opted to pursue a 3D pad remake instead of their Dreamcast pad that's in the works. The original molds and production equipment for the 3D pad were scrapped long ago per the controller's designer, so any attempt at that would have to start from scratch.

Fortunately, there's some neat work being done by the community to realize the potential of the 3D pad's expansion module, including a pair of promising wireless mods.

12. Did anyone here ever have the Mission stick? I really wished more games supported it. I felt like Rambo using it in Soviet Strike and Black Dawn LOL

[​IMG]

13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
  14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  15. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    No wired option?

16. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Looks like it might happen in the future, according to their twitter.

I'm more surprised by the lack of a Bluetooth option, but I imagine that they didn't sell enough of the Bluetooth controllers to warrant making them.

17. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    A wild guess of that with a chip shortage is what caused the drop of bluetooth. I can not reliably use 2.4GHz devices so no bluetooth is no buy from me unless there's wired.

18. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Does bluetooth have worse input lag? Is it a quality control thing?