don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Omega and Cream buddy cop game where they set off on a road trip to rescue Gemerl

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Ok I know this is a joke but that actually sounds like it'd be great if the writing was good.

3. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Honestly this is like 20% of the Treasure Team Tango arc from Sonic Universe

4. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Game where Cream accidentally stops one of Robotnik's terrorist schemes

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Alright, stop.

6. Linkabel

Linkabel

So reading the Press Start preview there's another mention about how to obtain Chaos Emeralds.

Kind of wish they would ask how many emeralds are there for island. Unless I missed that?

Might be something that they're keeping secret due to story reasons, but I guess there might be artificial or virtual emeralds along with the original 7?

Maybe those Super Sonic fights against titans are true, after gathering enough emeralds you get a "Cyber Super Sonic" form to fight an island's final titan that's gone after you complete the fight.

Then once you collect the real Chaos Emeralds you can challenge the final boss with your true Super Sonic form.

Idk, maybe I'm way off but hopefully we get more details on that.

7. charcoal

charcoal

This one's definitely a stretch and probably wrong but it'd be cool if we saw the return of all the macguffins from past games for each island (Time Stones, Chaos Rings, Super Emeralds, World Rings, etc etc)

8. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Could also even be a return to the concept from Sonic 3's original plan, where oh shit, there's actually more than 7 Chaos Emeralds somehow.

9. To Laura and Zephyr's points. Sonic development tends to be one broken up by a smaller team starting work on a specific project and a larger group joining after. I'll see if i can find links tomorrow. The Colors team moved right on to Lost World, getting more help after Generations was done. The gameplay mechanics were likely done before getting a larger team working on finishing it. Frontiers apparently had a great deal of question in one Iizuka interview if it would even be completed. Between internal turmoil and definitely a lot of movement of internal developers prior to now, all of it was to keep multiple projects running and its often been to the series detriment. Between that and different teams broken up for projects like the Storybook Games I can understand why so much would turn out mediocre.

10. charcoal

charcoal

About the lack of music in the trailers, something's been on my mind about that for a while, and that's that Sonic 06 also had previews that lacked any music.

Start at 7:25, there's an extended bit of IGN gameplay snippets that feature absolutely no music, just sound effects.

I'm not comparing Frontiers to 06 in terms of game quality or anything, but I just though it was interesting to note that Frontiers' silence in the trailers isn't unique to this game.

Plus 06 turned out to have one of the best soundtracks in the series so I don't think the silence in either of the games' trailers means they have anything to hide or something conspiratorial like that.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  11. Trippled

Trippled

Well now it's just one team that worked on Lost World, Forces and Frontiers. Hence Kishimoto working as director on all of them.

There used to be so many lines for Sonic games at SoJ, it was kinda crazy and a detriment most likely

Sonic Riders > Zero Gravity > Free Riders

06 > Unleashed (the Wii version team actually was completely in house and seperate, so 2 games really) > Generations

Secret Rings > Black Knight > Colors

The supervisors and directors that worked with Dimps also had a Sonic game every few years, Sonic 4, handheld versions...

After Lost World, it changed really. Kishimoto's team likely always worked on Forces and Frontiers this whole time, but other people worked on Sonic Runners (30 people worked on that!), Project 575 (JP only thing, shared alot of staff with Riders folks), Mario & Sonic, Sakura Wars... Personally I think it's not unlikely there is another Sonic games in development concurrently. Another 2D one by Sonic Team, like rumored...not far fetched imo. We'll see.

12. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    The thread I posted never states at any point that it is anyone's first Sonic heartbreak, or anything along that line. It's a comparison of the demo footage for Forces vs. Frontiers and an explanation of why they feel the optimism for Frontiers is more justified compared to Forces, given that we have a LOT more context surrounding what we're seeing for Frontiers, whereas (according to him) press played only 2 stages with no context and they had no idea where they occured in the game, or if maybe it was the first 2 levels, how many stages there were going to be, if all the stages would be original like Sunset Heights, etc.

"Finding them hidden in the world"? Okay, now this has really piqued my interest.

Also re: number of emeralds per island, that article about Ares from the other day (if I wasn't falling asleep maybe I'd remember the name of the publisher...) mentioned only 3 emeralds being on Kronos. Apparently someone at their press demo session asked the SEGA rep why there were only 3... it's unclear if there are actually only 3, or if they only found 3 on the section of the island that was playable for them.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I don’t think I’ve heard anyone mention this yet, but according to Iizuka in this Japanese interview, the reason for Knuckles being captured won’t be introduced in the game itself but rather the prologue animated short. I think a lot of people were assuming that’s what it would be about but it’s nice to have confirmation.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  14. JW.

JW.

The whole being able to find emeralds in different ways sounds interesting, I wonder how that'll work in regards to progression/completion?

15. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Somebody else mentioned there being 4 emeralds on Kronos so it might be the latter.
    As for finding them in the world I think that’s just awkward phrasing and the article meant you can find vault keys hidden around them, not the emeralds themselves.

16. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    As far as I've seen, impressions have stated that people were able to find 4 Emeralds on Kronos, not necessarily that there are only 4 Emeralds there. I.e., when asking SEGA reps why 4 Emeralds can be found on Kronos, my reading of that is "why can I find so many here?". I'm still very much behind the idea that Sonic will turn super to face off with each of the island's biggest titans before the emeralds scatter to the next island, hence why journalists have been able to find the same Emerald more than once.

17. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I hope that's how it is in the game. One problem I've always had with SuperSonic boss fights is that they almost always throw a new playstyle on you right at the climax of the game. It kinda takes away from the moment if you're also trying to figure out what the new controls are.

If going supersonic is something that's done throughout the whole game I think that'd be a neat way to gradually increase the intensity.

18. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    Didn't the early leaks suggest something along the lines of going Super Sonic and fighting some sort of large "tree boss"? I'm not sure if those leaks have been deconfirmed in their entirety yet, but it did get a lot of details right such as open-world, a "ghost-girl" character, more traditional cyberspace stages, makes sense the Super Sonic boss fights against titans is a thing if so.

19. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    So, this is the first 3D Sonic game I've been interested in playing in a very long time. I have a Switch, but I know it's going to suffer greatly from it's limitations. Therefore, I was considering buying a PS5 to play it. I figured I could just sell it when I'm finished. Is anyone else motivated to purchase a better console for this game? Also, does this seem like a bad idea, or is there a better option here?

20. charcoal

charcoal

Not trying to sound like a PC master race jackass nerd but I’d just get a decent PC with the money you’d spend on a PS5 if I were you. It’ll probably be a little less powerful than the PS5 but a PC can run about 90% of all Sonic games ever made, making it a better value just as a Sonic fan. Plus the majority of Playstation exclusives have been coming over to PC in the past year or so.

And if you’re dead set on getting a console, I’d recommend the Xbox Series X purely because it has a much deeper library with it’s 360 backwards compatibility, and because 360 games aren’t quite retro yet and they’re just considered “old” you can get a sizable library of those games for extremely cheap even though you would miss out on a couple high profile games like Spider-Man or The Last of Us.