don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Snowbound

Snowbound

I don’t want to further derail the thread but is there proof of this pay dispute or is this speculation? I’m Legit asking.

2. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I don't think there is any. It just never happened. The only person who talked about why it never happened was Zippo, make with that what you will.

3. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I don't think that's it; the "amnesia" thing feels like a bunch of crock. There's been nothing yet from anything shown that implies he's forgotten anything. He remembers Amy and Tails as soon as he's woke up, for instance.

What I do think it might be is one of two things:

1. Somehow slipped up and put two different ones in the same level
    or
    2. They have different function now.

People are noticing in other footage yesterday that when Sonic contacted dash panels his spead actually increased and stayed there, rather than it temporarily setting him to a set speed. Now it could easily just be the first one, but I wonder if they separated how it works between the two.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
  4. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I never said there was proof or that it was fhe defenitive resaon. I said there were internal politics going on, which I'm pretty sure has been mentioned before as a reason why a lot of weird Sonic decisions at SEGA have been made in the past decade.

I also mentioned one example I heard before but I never once said it's been proven or validated.

5. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    I wasn't trying to be rude, so, um...sorry? All I'm trying to say is that taking what Iizuka says at face value seems...very optimistic. It was meant as a question, not an attack.
    That's what he said in 2017. As I said. The comments about him thinking SA3 would be interesting were made this year:
    And then, when clarifying what he meant and responding to the rumors circulating that he was saying SA3 was actively in development:
    So yes, he would personally like to explore the possibility of Sonic Adventure 3 in the future. That's just not what he's doing at the moment and Sega has no plans or ideas to pursue it.
    Other than the Mania devs not being treated fairly and being underpaid, I've heard nothing about legal or contractual disputes, and if that were the case then they wouldn't have been working on Origins. While there might be a roadblock in getting the original Mania devs to make a Mania 2, there's no evidence to suggest there's anything stopping Sega from making it themselves or commissioning it from another developer. That's what basically any other publisher would do.

If there is a legal dispute I'm unaware of, then that's my bad, but I shouldn't know that simply because I post here. I'm just here to discuss Sonic.

6. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    You should know about what's going on with this franchise because you post here and want to discuss Sonic. This entire thing literally started because you weren't up to date with current statements Iizuka said on things you came to me wanting to debate about.

I also never mentioned anything about contractual disputes or any type of legal disputes either. I said I heard there was a rumor of a pay dispute but I never said it was definitive fact.

But we're derailing the thread with this and it isn't fair to anyone else here to continue with this.

I'm expecting a Frontiers sequel if this game does well, that's in the same style but improved. If you aren't that's fine but I have my reasons like you have yours.

7. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    To be honest I don't know what to expect after this. Everyone expected another Boost follow-up after Generations was received so well, and then Lost World came around and shook it up AGAIN. Then they did another Boost game after that, and now this.

8. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I feel this lol. I really am looking forward to playing this game and I'm gonna give it its fair shake but like at the same time I don't exactly disagree with some of the negative responses some people have been having.

It's a monkey's paw situation where you get the things you wanted but not executed in the way you expected.

9. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I sort of agree and disagree with this statement. 3D Sonic IS a different beast, but not similar to Sonic Mania. Classic Sonic is much more user friendly, which is why it was once as popular as Mario with consumers. Modern Mario is still very accessible, and that’s why Mario games are STILL extremely popular and blockbuster titles. Whereas Modern Sonic has chosen to stick with a style of gameplay which, thus far, is not accessible to most people in the way the classics were. Skilled or not, most people can get the hang of classic Sonic, classic Mario, and 3D Mario easily enough. Whereas 3D Sonic has always been very niche. Modern Sonic will never be as accessible as these other titles, we’ve had over 2 decades to understand this. If “we” want to keep defending this style of Sonic game, then we cannot also continue to ask that these games have the furnishings and quality of games which more popular and accessible games have. We can’t have our cake and eat it too.

10. lopinjop

lopinjop

Sonic 25th Anniversary Party Enthusiast Member
    We've got old level themes, stiff boost mechanics, the complete absence of momentum physics, and gimmicky combat on top of a drip feed of increasingly more bewildering and frustrating game footage. Aside from Ian Flynn potentially bringing the story quality up, this is the same slop served cold.

11. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Forces has some of the most accessible gameplay I've seen in a 3d platformer, with how dumbed down and automated it was, and these cyberspace levels look to be in a similar vein.

12. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    random question but do we know if the PS4 version of Frontiers includes a free upgrade for PS5? cause if it does I might as well buy the PS4 version since it's cheaper lol

13. MH MD

MH MD

The PS4 Boxart in the official latest trailer did include the PS5 upgrade ….blue box/sticker thing….that you usually find in games that allows upgrades

so yes

14. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    It's funny, because I think I was about where you were at the equivalent point before Forces' release. Aside from the SRS BSNS plot, and being ambivalent on the avatar, it seemed on the surface like everything I'd been hoping for: A follow-up on Unleashed/Colors/Gens. But there had been so many red flags by then that I couldn't muster anything more than cautious optimism.

Frontiers feels like the opposite to me: It's a bunch of stuff I didn't want, but I still think it's gonna have enough for me to sink my teeth into, the people who actually play it seem to generally like it, AND there are comparatively fewer red flags so far, so I've wound up in the same "cautiously optimistic" place I was with Forces, but via a totally different path. :yousay:

15. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Perhaps a bit of a tangent, but I wonder what the reception would've been like had we gotten Lost World after Forces. Maybe people would've been a little kinder to it had their hopes for more Boost games already been shattered. :V

16. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    In the same vein, I'm sure Heroes would've had a much rosier reception if it had followed 06, rather than the other way around.

17. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Thinking along a similar tack, I wonder how this would be received had Forces simply not existed at all. Remove that from the equation, and the sequence of games goes like Generations (Boost game) -> Lost World (game with parkour elements) -> Frontiers (Boost game with parkour elements). Without Forces muddying things, this appears like an overall natural progression.

18. At this point, we should probably accept that Sonic Team are just gonna do what they want regardless of what we or critics think. They are impossible to predict as they tend to swerve pretty hard even off successful examples.

Generations is the most well received 3D game since SA2? Here's Lost World.

Mania is the highest rated Sonic game ever? Nope, we ain't touching that.

We get what we get basically lol.

19. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I'm always confused when I get through a Sonic news day and I'm generally pretty happy with what I've seen, then I check this forum and it's just... never the reaction I expect. Tbh most of what I've seen today - the new footage of the city level, positive impressions from Dreed, 2D rolling, details on the emerald vault, think that's mostly it - has been stuff I really liked.

And to be clear, doesn't always mean it's a negative reaction. Just kind of unpredictable sometimes. But then again, a lot of ongoing conversations are still about news from 2-3 days ago.

Edit: Cig the Bat
    https://twitter.com/whyyydreed/status/1563977061353623553?t=MuyD82Nw-hSDLDpSLgN7yQ&s=19

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  20. Took the words out of my mouth. I think I've had this feeling since 2017, when I started to follow the games thread, lol.