don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. corneliab

corneliab

Insta-shield can be activated through the level select menus for both Sonic 1 and 2. In Sonic 1 you go to the level select menu and choose the Sonic 3 shields, while in 2 you go to the level select menu, press 00 in soundtest three times, and select the Sonic 3 shields from a submenu. The Super Peel-Out is also in Sonic CD, because uh... well you know.

edit: I might have misread the "either the Insta-Shield or Super Peel-Out" part and if I did, it kinda makes my post pointless. If that did happen I'm sorry lol.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  2. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Now imagine what would have happened if we had opened this earlier (or later) prototype at the time, with music from origins..
    The reputation of the early tracks would have been destroyed completely, or for lack of a better one, would we still consider them good?
    :eng101:

And yes. Max control from game start, in save game mode- it's a really useful thing. Sad, that you can't get it legally

3. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    So I don’t know if this is legitimate or not, but it has been alleged that fans have taken part in some sort of survey regarding the future of Sonic Origins, specifically talking about DLC.

The main questions revolve around whether or not we would be interested in seeing more games added to the collection, more playable characters, some behind the scenes material, and more animations.

If this ends up being legitimate, I can definitely see more games, specifically Spinball, 3D Blast, and Knuckles Chaotix making the cut since those games are currently featured in the collection via the main menu islands and/or music tracks.

Also, I’d be totally fine with playable characters, perhaps Amy making the cut since she was heavily featured in the story mode animations to begin with (this would be the chance to add Knuckles in CD as well)

Extra behind the scenes material and new animations would also be a treat so here’s hoping this survey gets the ball rolling for a much more fine tuned/polished up collection and an eventual physical release.

Also will SEGA update the prototype tracks to their 11/3 versions?? (We will never know but as always, a man can dream)

As far as I know, SEGA hasn’t laid out any plans post-Frontiers so let’s see if this turns out to be true

EDIT: I know premy is considered clickbait so he might not be the most reliable, but there are screenshots of some survey questions on Twitter (thanks to McAlee for the link) and in his video, so there is definitely something brewing behind the scenes

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I REALLY hope that's true and not a lie. I'm satisfied with Origins and haven't run into nearly as many issues as some of you guys but I'd be really excited to see more games be added with more behind the scenes material. Even if they just added a couple more games I'd probably double dip for the switch version lmao.

5. Immediately, I doubt this: If the Frontiers demo was hacked, wouldn't we have seen it on pirate sites already?

6. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Premy is pure clickbait, all the time. I wouldn't take anything unsubstantiated too seriously coming from him.

Actually, I've heard WORSE things about the guy, but I don't want to run my mouth on things I can't verify personally. The point is, the youtube rumor mill should not be a prime source of discussion for us. It was bad enough with the gigantic piles of Frontiers leaks now proven completely bunk.

7. I want it to be accurate, badly. However, if these alleged fans actually have been provided with this survey then why haven't we heard of anyone here who has taken it?

Obligatory give us Amy please in any potential dlc.

8. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Didn't realise this was being discussed here - for what it's worth, I've dug up a Twitter thread I saw yesterday which included some actual screenshots of the survey.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  9. Snowbound

Snowbound

IF this is true then there is something I want to make clear: I’m interested but Headcanon better be involved and Sega better treat them with the respect they deserve. Especially if they are planning to add extra characters to the retro engine games.

If they are adding emulated games then I would really appreciate Sega Sonic (arcade) and Knuckles Chaotix. Now THIS is unrealistic but it would be awesome if they got Jon Burton to port his 3D Blast DX upgrades to the saturn version of the game.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
  10. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I’m glad that Sega at least seems to be considering supporting the game more, but these kinds of surveys don’t always lead to something substantial so I’m not getting my hopes up.

11. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I think it's very possible the survey happened but it doesn't necessarily mean anything's happening. Development teams do surveys and focus testing all the time for all kinds of things.

12. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I hope they're considering a similar track to the one they took with Mania Plus - A physical release that bundles in DLC. Knock on wood!

13. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Wouldn't mind a DRM-FREE VERSION if we're copying Mania.

14. Snowbound

Snowbound

Remember when Iizuka was asked if he knew what the next Sonic game was and Iizuka couldn’t answer… I wonder if this was planned all along. I mean we’re still waay off from a confirmation. This might not even happen. I’m Just rasin’ a possibility.

15. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I so hope this is true. Origins has a lot of squandered potential, which DLC could rectify.

Wish list:
    • 2P VS split-screen for Sonic CD & Sonic 1. In fact, it would be nice if every level in every game could have a 2P VS split screen option (save for those levels that have transitions, but maybe the transitions could be reworked).
    • Sonic 3 style save selection screen for all games.
    • Mania mode that lets you play all games with Mania features, such as Elemental shields, Combi Ring, Buddy Mode, Max Control and bonus stages to get power ups.
    • Custom mode that lets you toggle all options. So you could have lives in Anniversary mode. Or Mania options in Mirror mode.
    • Prototypes museum. One of the Disney collections let you play the prototypes of the games. Something like that for Sonic would be neat.
    • Playable Amy in all games and Knuckles in Sonic CD.
    If those survey are true, it looks like Sega is going more down the route of more games, animations and extra characters. But those would still be awesome additions.

16. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Plot twist:
    In DLC we'll get a two concept arts, that was in internet since early 2000s, three new missions, and +400 coins, that you can't use in special stages.
    And all it on physical realesse for $60 per disc.

:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yes please!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    I think SEGA will definitely want to do an "Origins Plus" physical release due to the success of Mania Plus.

In order for a physical release to be a success I think they will need to add a lot more content than we got with Mania Plus (since Mania was a new game and Origins is a disappointing collection of four old games). The most I could see Sonic Team/M2 adding is an emulator to be able to play 3D Blast, Spinball and maybe even Chaotix. I certainly don't think ST would have enough time needed (or the necessary skill) to be able to create a good full 16:9 remaster of these games. Evening Star probably won't be available as they are busy working on their new 3D game and it also sounds like Stealth and his team are working on new projects, which likely means anything added will probably have to be done by Sonic Team which doesn't fill me with confidence.

I gladly bought several copies of Mania/Mania Plus including the physical version, but I won't buy a physical release of Origins unless Sonic Team really knock it out of the park with dlc.

19. I remember Sonic Mega Collection also literally got another version called "Sonic Mega Collection Plus". Guess something similar would happens to Origins then.

20. corneliab

corneliab

I thought I heard that Origins didn't seem to sell very well? If that's the case, I'm not going to expect a "Plus" version. Would like to be wrong, though.