don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Increased speed and agility are comparable to the invincibility power-up from Mario games. In case that wasn't super clear: Of course you're still vulnerable to enemies lol

2. Flare

Flare

Oh I know, I am in some way joking and enjoying the idea of Sonic just being OP Mario :P Maybe insanity of this game being shown off the public has got to my brain. I still hope my it is somewhat the feeling I am imagining playing this.

Like... could you remove the boost completely and still have fun (and sense of speed)?

3. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I guess? The boost is actually not that strong ^^

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I loved the vocal themes in Forces, so I'm all for it.

Infinite is still a legit banger, by the way.

5. Some Forces theme were hit or miss, but I never them too obnoxious so I'm not opposed to them returning.

6. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I tried to skim the last 7 pages of dialogue, so I apologize if this has already been stated.

I just wanted to say that my opinion on the reuse of level designs is different from the general consensus I have been hearing...

On the one hand, of course, it bothers me that SEGA continuously reuses the same stages, especially since long-long ago, the varied zones was one of Sonic's strongest attributes. New themes, new colour palettes, accompanying melodies, themed badniks and bosses - it heavily influenced my development as an artistic person. However - I feel like I can be more forgiving in this instance, because, to turn over this BOTW comparison once more, BOTW had a large overworld also, but then all the dungeons and shrines were literally identical aesthetically. It's true that they had unique and original puzzles, and I also realize Zelda is on another tier and 5 years old now - but regardless, at least we are getting varied aesthetics instead of a single uniform design, like Zelda. In light of that, it's not hard to imagine a situation in which SEGA used a singular "cyber" aesthetic for each level with no variation, like BOTW. It's also lame that Frontiers is reusing layouts, but let's be honest - for 90% of the gaming audience this probably won't even be noticed. This game is also 25% cheaper than BOTW, which is something... We need to stop pretending that Sonic ought to have the budget of Zelda and Mario, when it doesn't have the sales to do so. You could make the argument that it is because of these decisions that Sonic doesn't have these sales, but it's a reality that Sonic's format is simply not as accessible to the general population as those other franchises.

Tldr: If we think of the cyber zones as we do the shrines in BOTW, at least we are getting varied aesthetics, unlike BOTW.

Also, did anyone notice that Robotnik looked shorter? Maybe I am wrong...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Venom Snake

Venom Snake

USA
    The marketing behind this game is so incredibly bizarre.
    The more we see, the better the game actually looks. Those cutscenes look like some of the best we've ever seen in a Sonic game, the open world looks fun to explore, and I guess the cyberspace levels are a nice addition for variety (although reused assets and level design is a bit of a letdown).
    But SEGA barely wants to show anything. If Sonic had an established degree of high quality, I'd actually understand this because I'd prefer to go in blind, but unfortunately Sonic Team still hasn't really established anything consistent of themselves.
    I think if people playing are generally saying its good, I think it'll end up being better than most people expected. The fact alone that Sonic controls much better and has an actual open world to properly utilize his moveset already has me more hyped to play than pretty much anything else Sonic Team has made since like 2008.

8. Kyro

Kyro

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. RikohZX

RikohZX

Is it bad that with all the info about combat, it feels like "What if we took Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, and tried to de-turdify it while still giving Sonic access to his speed?"

10. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  11. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    ...Has that ever happened before? I don't know how many were in supply, but unless it's a comically-tiny amount, that'd be kind of surprising for the Japanese version (though I suppose a lot of it may be western imports).

12. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Sonic games have been mixing combat with the speed since Heroes. It just got deemphasized during the Boost era but it's nothing new.

13. xbloodywhalex

xbloodywhalex

team dark enthusaist Member
    antarctica
    re-reading one piece, probably
    DeepL translates it as follows, for anybody curious:

14. Linkabel

Linkabel

The special editions always sell out on Amazon (and usually get at least one restock).

I am guessing it's because of the imports, since it's probably the easiest way for people outside of Japan to do it and cutting out import services.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    About those "speed" sliders: what happens if you set "initial boost speed" to the lowest point and put "top speed" at the highest? Does that mean that Sonic's speed FINALLY isn't completely binary between top speed and a dead stop? And he accelerates like it's a racing game? I know the game probably isn't designed with that in mind, but if that's the case then that's VERY interesting and could even be more enjoyable as an experience.

16. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

I'm delighted by interpreting this as "Knuckles appeared on the show floor and announced to everyone that filming was forbidden".

17. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

When Knuckles tells you to cut it you better cut it out. :colbert:

18. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Bullshit, Knuckles would never warn you.

19. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    You guys are misunderstanding it. Knuckles wandered onto the show floor and the Sega reps made people cut the cameras so nobody finds out he’s real

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Really hope this doesn't slow the game down as much as the Werehog battle sections did in Unleashed. I hate long button attack combos like this, an entirely separate issue to the open world thing - it's why I've never got on with God of War, Devil May Cry, and the like.

Man, this game seems determined to just stick up bigger and bigger middle fingers to those of us that just wanted a traditional Sonic game, huh?