don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. RikohZX

RikohZX

After almost a decade of segregating Parkour and Boost, despite Lost World all but being built upon and mangled from what came before it, it's surreal to see Sonic air boost into a wall run.

2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    It’s great, honestly. I feel like it does vindicate Lost World as an experiment. Doesn’t make it a good game but at least something more has come of it here.

3. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    3 things I'm curious about if you get the chance / find them worth testing:

1. How drastically can the sliders change your controls? Like minimum vs. maximum values?

2. Can you actually just hold parry? Or do you have to time it?

3. How long can you continue rolling after a dropdash? And I'd like to know what it's like rolling up/down hills and other terrain.

Also, have fun!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  4. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    2022-08-26 12.33.34.jpg Let's go

Just played the demo, here's my feedback:
    • It's Forces but in good. The controls are super responsive.
    • AI voice =/= Sage, in case you were wondering.
    • Speaking of voices, Sonic sounds way different.
    • The music in Sky Sanctuary is very reminiscent of Forces, but imo not as catchy.
    • If you ask me, Cyber Space is NOT where the meat and bones are, but an easy way to earn Vault Keys.
    That's all. Stood in line for 2 hours, no regrets.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 15
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Figures they'd give Roger some new voice direction to adjust to the new tone and script

6. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    How did the combat feel? Did it feel floaty and janky or surprisingly satisfying?

You've said the controls are responsive which is great. Does it still feel like a Boost game or somewhat different?

7. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    No, but the lock on felt a bit janky and will definitely take some practice to master.

It's like a Mario game, but with the invincibility power-up permanently turned on.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  8. Flare

Flare

YES! I love that! Hold down the B button and run that's how I play games and that's how I hope this plays! Haha.

9. Sounds good, can't wait for November

10. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
  11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Could you elaborate on what you mean by the tap bolded points, especially the music one? Forces used a ton of synths for the modern Sonic levels and weird electro/dance music for the avatar stages. Do you mean it's like one of those? I'm guessing it's not the knock-off Mega Drive music of Classic Forces. Lol

12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    People are saying that the Cyber Space music comprises vocal themes like that of the Avatar levels in Forces. Apparently the music is pretty good, and I enjoyed Forces’ soundtrack (outside the classic stuff) so I’m looking forward to hearing it.

13. RikohZX

RikohZX

Judging by what I'm hearing of other people's impressions, people compare the Cyberspace songs to Buddy's from Forces, right down to being vocal tracks.

agh ninja'd

14. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Honestly, I’ve never been a fan of the Forces OST with the exception of Virtual Enemies so I am a little disappointed personally. Hopefully Jun Senoue and Tee Lopes have made their own contributions.

15. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
  16. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Holy shit this looks so fucking COOL

And I'm beyond happy to learn that Sonic apparently controls very well.
    That truly was my main issue with the boost games, although it does make the actual boost levels feel pretty weird according to some people lol. I'd say it's probably because we're used to the games using scripts to make Sonic run in a straight line and turn automatically, but smoother controls can never be a bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

I'm pretty satisfied with what we've gotten out of this public demo.
    The only thing I want now is some ost uploads on the youtube channel (one of the few highlights of the dreadful marketing they've been doing in recent years), but otherwise I'm good with all the stuff we know about the game.
    An easy pre-order and day one playthrough for me.

17. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    It's clearly RCS, but his voice doesn't sound as upbeat as it usually does.

Song reminded me of this:

Welp, that's not how it works. What I meant was that Sonic almost feels OP.

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

So it was a vocal track? That's interesting. Thanks!

I'm not a huge fan of the Forces vocal tracks, to be honest. Some are alright, some are downright dreadful. But none are particularly remarkable. I wish Jun Senoue would return to direct the sound in a mainline Sonic game again. He's largely stepped away from the role since Shadow and Black Knight, and Ohtani's work just isn't the of the same calibre. TSR was the first time Jun took the reigns foran all-new game that wasn't Sonic 4 and it ended up as one of the series' finest. And if not Senoue, then Kenichi Tokoi, Naofumi Hataya or someone new. Ohtani moves more and more into his DJ/electronic/dance style with every entry and I just don't care for it. I don't think he'll ever match his work from 06 and Unleashed.

19. Flare

Flare

Uuuuuhhhhhh... I hated those tracks. But, hey ho.

Oh no that's perfect! Haha. I assume if I am running around like a lunatic, I want to not be punished for it. So yeah make him OP.

20. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

• Informative Informative x 5
    • List