don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    upload_2022-8-23_19-21-3.png
    I hope these minimum requirements are BS, I wanna be able to run the game on my shitbox, lol.

2. EDIT: Sorry, I got it 100% straightened out after viewing the original Japanese product page: https://sonic.sega.jp/SonicFrontiers/products/

The Limited Edition comes with:
    • Art book
    • Koco figure thing (?)
    The Acrylic diorama edition comes with:
    • Diorama
    BOTH "DX" versions of each (e.g. Limited Edition DX / Acrylic Diorama Edition DX) come with their respective noted items above, plus:
    • Ink Painting Supersonic Hedgehog “New Frontier” Hanging Scroll Style Tapestry
    • Postcard book
    • Coco's stuffed toy pouch
    • Set of 3 types of magnet art
    • Sticker sheet
    Limited Edition DX links:
    Acrylic Diorama Edition DX links:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  3. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Guess it's time to upgrade lol, my GTX 600 series is absolutely not gonna cut it here. Kinda surprising the minimum spec for a Sonic game is an i7 and a 1060, but one look at the game and I kinda figured that might be the case. :-|

4. Snowbound

Snowbound

Why rewrite the script in Japan? The passage from the game informer article answers your question. Sonic has a smaller fanbase in japan so they want a script to appeal to general Japanese audience. That said they hired Ian Flynn to help flesh out the story and dialogue to help it appeal to the Sonic fanbase in the US. As someone who has always enjoyed the multiple different continuities of sonic I’m fine with this. Good localizations can drastically improve a product’s success and quality in different regions. The 90s success of Sonic in the US and UK is proof of this. It can create long term issues but at this point I really don’t care. That said I can see why this is off putting to others.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  5. lupinsmask

lupinsmask

Unless the returning stages for cyberspace are a small part of the available stages I'll wait for a discount.

6. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

lol I was just about to come and post something very similar. I've put together a very rough 'absolute beginners' buyers guide for ordering from there, complete with screenshots and what to look for, however your links should cover it, but the visuals are here if anyone is still a bit nervous.

https://twitter.com/DaveLuty/status/1562274651979583489

Because I can still remember how scared I was when ordering from Japan for the first time.

There is also... Let's call it an 'Ultimate' Edition on Ebten, it includes both the artbook and Diorama, however, it's very pricy and you will need a middle man service, all said and done you are looking at well over 20,000 YEN for this edition.

https://ebten.jp/sega/p/7015022110801

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Going off of what we've seen so far, there should be like a minimum of 35 Cyberspace "acts" (7 minimum on each of the 5 islands) I'm guessing each island will have a few different stages with multiple acts spread out across the island.... but also some of the hands-on opinions from SGF claimed there were acts for Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Sky Sanctuary, and several new stages all on the first island... so I honestly have no idea what to expect from islands 2-5.

8. charcoal

charcoal

The more I learn about this game's scope the less I care about the reused assets. It's better than the same generic Matrix-esque computery theme for every level that I initially expected. As long as the levels themselves are fun and engaging I don't mind.

I feel like everyone is expecting a little too much from Sonic Team to have a unique theme for every single cyberspace stage. Obviously they don't have nearly as much funding or development staff as BOTW or Elden Ring. You could argue that they should've made a game with a lesser scope and wholly original assets but that ship has sailed and I think this is a good compromise.

Also, I think the stages will have multiple acts as foXcollr said. We've seen Green Hill with both dawn-ish lighting and daytime lighting and I doubt it'll change mid act so these are probably separate stages.

9. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Also apparently a Korone from Hololive Collab. Replace all sound effects with her voice?

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Kyro

Kyro

Adding to this, korone themed gloves and shoes.

It appears to be japan only, atm

https://twitter.com/TheChaosSpirit/status/1562252465633992704?t=r4VpZ56PXc-R9HIJ6qXeSw&s=19

11. charcoal

charcoal

moving to japan just for korone cosmetics

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I just saw the trailer. So Infinite’s daughter wants revenge and gets it by tricking Sonic into thinking he messed up the world. Got it.

:colbert:

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

14. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I should hope so. Spider-Man Remastered has GTX1060 as its recommended graphics card, and that game looks far more intensive than Frontiers. At the end of the day, I suppose the Switch version looks pretty solid for what it is if that ends up being my only option.

15. I bet we'll get a LE at some point too, not doubt with the likes of GAME. We have a rather good LE with Sonic Gen after all.

[​IMG]

16. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Exactly! Sonic's always been cast in various lenses, meant to cater to the varying tastes of different regions. This sort of thing is just standard procedure for the series. Just last game, for Team Sonic Racing, the script (originally written by westerners) was changed quite a bit in Japan, sanding off a lot of Sonic's attitude and making him a bit less cocky and directly competitive. From what I understand, things that would be seen as endearing, playful, and confident in the west would be taken as more rude or obnoxious over there. I'd expect they'll take the same approach with Frontiers.

17. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    when I saw the name Dave Mitchell for some reason I thought it was the comedian David Mitchell...
    upload_2022-8-24_9-39-42.jpeg
    I kind of want to play the game in Japanese so I just hope it comes with a more accurate subtitle option that actually matches the Japanese audio

18. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I’m not sure why you’re surprised, they’ve been doing that for over a decade. And just like the past 4 or 5 games, I’m sure fans will still look to the Japanese script as the one true infallible one and decry any differences as being the evil localizers taking too many liberties.

19. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    The problem people had with the English scripts was that they were just generally shit compared to the Japanese versions, not that they were changed at all.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. RikohZX

RikohZX

I'll be entirely fair on Forces, at least; Pontac localizing the whole missing Sonic and Tails plot point as "one's clearly dead and the other has gone insane" is really, really stupid on top of other oddities.