don't click here

Space Channel 5 and Comix Zone Films in Development

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Aug 20, 2022.

1. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

Who will play Michael Jackson though?

2. Chris Tucker of course!

3. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    His holograms. Genuinely wouldn't be surprised if those did feature, if the film ever does end up a reality anyway.

4. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Sure.

I don't want ideology rammed down my throat every time I watch a movie, go shopping, read a book, or any number of other things. It has gotten to fever pitch over the past several years, and it's completely unnecessary.

I like how Hivebrain put it, explaining how the writer is basically being inserted into the movie. And frankly, the writer is kind of nuts. Not because of identity, but because of the obsession over identity. And that obsession is precisely the kind of thing that turns people off, myself included.

So when I read that summary of what I can expect from this movie (assuming it gets the green light), I have no interest whatsoever. They're ruining it right out of the gate. And when they try to assess what went wrong after it bombs, they'll come up with every reason except for the one that's most obvious.

If that's your thing, great. But it's not my thing.

Exactly what I was thinking. Justin Timberlake did this, and it worked quite well. I think it's only fitting for something that has a space/futuristic theme to it.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Star Wars has ghoulishly demonstrated it's now possible to bring the deceased back to life as horrifying reanimated CGI corpses, so I regrettably wouldn't be surprised if the filmmakers decided to piss on a dead man's grave for money and resurrect him via CGI.

6. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Are all white straight dude characters self inserts too?

7. Honestly, I'd love to have an Comix Zone movie in the same animation style of Spider-Verse. Imagine how awesome that would be?

8. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Can we talk about these potential movies without commentating on what we know to be inflammatory topics? You can just say "this isn't for me" you know. I don't understand how this topic went so awful so quickly.

9. Yuzu

Yuzu

Comix Zone seems like it has the potential to be a fantastic adaptation based off the premise posted. Would be cool if they went with an Enter to the Spiderverse style for animation like Crimson Neo suggested.

A little more ambivalent on Space Channel 5 due to mentioning viral dances, but still seems like it has the potential to be a good film.

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Why is he jaded though? Sketch Turner loves comics and the plot was about him making his debut issue (and hoping it does great) before getting sucked in. In the end his comic does great and then "something" happens leading into the non-exsistant sequel.

Now he hates comics and makes a super popular comic before getting sucked in, to which I assume he won't stop bitching about how he hates comics.

Sounds pretty different and shit to me.

11. Yuzu

Yuzu

I imagine Sketch being jaded is a way for him to have differences with the queer young writer of color character. The synopsis mentions both of them having to put aside their differences. Sketch is probably just an older version of the character who's burned out with his job I imagine. Would be cool if this was outright a sequel to the original game with a pretty large timeskip, like Ace Attorney 4 or Streets of Rage 4. Probably expecting too much from a film adaptation to the reference the original, but him having gone through his own comic before would be a cool nod to the original game. It does mention this being the final issue of his comic, and I don't think the original game did?

Might have, it's been far too long since I played Comix Zone. Love the soundtrack but it's probably one of the most difficult games on the system.

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    For me the central conceit of Comix Zone is "Comic artist gets sucked into his comic book". How he feels about comics specifically doesn't make much of a difference to me. Though I will say that, given the absolute dominance of comic book stories in media today, having a "struggling artist waiting for his big break" is a bit less relatable than "comic artist that's had his success and is kind of jaded with the current state of the industry".

13. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Not to raise the temperature, but you do realize it's in the original post citing the Hollywood Reporter, right? Might be uncomfortable, I agree. But frankly, so is the description for one of the movies being discussed here.

And that's where I'm deciding to leave it.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Are you suggesting that a queer person of color existing is inflammatory? Because all the Hollywood Reporter says is that such a person may exist in the story. Is that what you're saying? Am *I* inflammatory?

Let me make it simpler for the people in the back: if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. Christ.

15. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    What is the point of a discussion forum if we are only allowed to say things that agree with you?

Blade is a fantastic film. The back of the box and marketing doesn't mention race once, because it's not about a black guy, it's about a half-vampire who can survive in daylight going around killing vampires.

The Comix Zone movie appears to be about a queer writer of colour, which is very different from what the original game was about. The synopsis focuses on the race and sexuality of the main character because it's written for racist and heterophobic bigots who think these aspects of the character are more important than any personality traits they have.

That's why I have a problem with it, and why many other people have a problem with it.

I look forward to you nuking this post like you did my last.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    There is such a wide gulf between "something I agree with" and "being an asshole".

You can just say "the apparent direction they want to take the plot is not for me" without being a dick. I'd disagree with you and that'd be the end of it. Besides, you only show up around here to comment on stuff that pisses you off in a manner I can only describe as "plausible deniability troll".

But there's apparently nothing to talk about but how scary queer people are and how they're ruining all media, so.

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    But I have something to talk about!

Eurogamer says the two projects are going to be called "Channel 5" and "Zone" repectively - is that actually a thing, or is it bizarre news reporting? Wiki pages will need to be made.

I was looking for the original press release last night, but Sega doesn't have much, Picturestart's website is horrendously awful and their Twitter seems more concerned with posting clips from the cartoon show, Arthur.

The only thing Arthur inspired me to do was turn off the television.

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    So can we talk about the *projects* now, while refraining from dragging this back into a sociopolitical commentary about "queers being forced down our throats"? We have a "no politics" rule for a reason.

19. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I think Eurogamer is mistaking THR’s abbreviations for Space Channel 5 and Comix Zone as the adaptation titles.

20. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    If you ask me, a comic artist being jaded and bitter after pining for his shot and being shafted by shitty practices is a pretty apt sum-up of the comics industry! So I don't necessarily think the original description of Sketch vs that as the new angle go against each other. If anything, they overlap.

I can even see that becoming a story about relearning to love his craft. IDK, sounds good to me!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022