don't click here

SA2 Crashing Immediatley on startup

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Hexinator, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Hexinator

Hexinator

Hex Member
    Hey there! I finished SADX (its vanilla) this game is great!, moving on to SA2B, it does not launch, it crashes right after launching it, no logs, just your standard old "has stopped working", here is a screenshot so you can examine :
    WerFault_83k83fMxPY.png
    Everything i've tried on the internet crashes it, my pc is quite old, it has an integrated graphics card (GMA 3600), SADX did launch on this pc, but it crashed on mystic ruins, so i tried another pc and it works, thats how i beat it, sa2 does not work on both pcs

2. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

Try changing the setup to run the game in windowed mode instead of Fullscreen

3. Hexinator

Hexinator

Hex Member
    I've tried, didn't work

4. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

5. Hexinator

Hexinator

Hex Member
    I need to run it on an emulator, nulldc is very laggy, demul only uses dx11, so i need to set up demul 0.52, anybody know how to do that? i have dc_boot & dc_flash

6. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I'm getting the full screen crash myself, BTW. Very annoying. No clue why, and would really love to know a solution for this.

Playing with a 3080 TI, which was my only recent hardware change that should affect this. Windowed doesn't crash.

7. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    IIRC you can fix the game crashing in full screen mode by just using the mod loader to start the game in borderless windowed. Not technically true full screen but most people consider borderless windowed to be superior to true full screen anyway.

In fact, you can make the game always launch the mod loader instead of the regular configurator by using steam's launch options feature.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  8. Hexinator

Hexinator

Hex Member
    Hmm, maybe that faulty dll needs to be replaced (its in the screenshot)

9. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Definitely the best solution, given how extensive of a mod scene many Sonic games have. I've yet to experiment with SA2 mods, but will be sure to do so now. And borderless is a better solution anyway.

10. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    So yeah, they made the port wrong, and sometimes it just crashes/hangs during loading screens for reasons that are not entirely clear to us, even 10 years later. Sometimes it works if you just keep trying.

11. E107- Theta

E107- Theta

Texas
    oh i think i have the same problem. does yours say that it "makes a mini dump" in your file or something?

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    The mod loader does that automatically. You can give it to a developer and they might be able to help you figure out what's wrong.

It might be worth noting that I recently updated the mod loader with an option to turn off the loading screens entirely, so that may have an effect on crashes/hangs during loading.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022