don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Pengi

Pengi

"Original Story" is Sonic Retro's misnomer. The page you linked is (apparently) an internal document translated by STI. Knuckles has a profile in it, so it was put together sometime during or after Sonic 3's development. A section of that document contains a translation of the test pilot story, but it is not where that story originated.

The 3-part air force test pilot story segment dates back to the development of Sonic 1. Part 1 of that story is included in the birthday pack booklet. The birthday pack booklet does not contain parts 2 or 3 of the story. It also does not include the additional Sonic, Tails, Eggman or Knuckles character profiles from the STI document, which weren't in the original 3-part test pilot story.

2. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I knew about the Mary Garnet story from the S1 days, but for some reason I've always been under the impressions that the profiles were from the birthday pack version of the tale. Possibly because that's where I originally knew it from. Thanks for the clarification.

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Might be a good idea to actually go through and gather all the ages when they appear, see how consistent they are. I might do that at some point...

I'm also curious: most things, including the Sonic Bible, mention a seventh Chaos Emerald as far back as 1991. Was there always meant to be a seventh Chaos Emerald or did the US localisers get lucky?

4. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Luckily there's an easy solution to that- having the same actor from the start, at least the start of regular voice acting in this series.

Oh what luck- Jun'ichi Kanemaru exists!
    Maybe we should be interpreting characters according to that and not localisation and dubs.

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Not sure why that had to be said so sarcastic and hostile.

Random thought: SEGA was saying the Master Emerald was a useless green rock at one point to Ian Flynn. Was that one of the Sonic X synergy attempts with the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (2022) movie, where the Master Emerald is pretty much treated like a container for the seven Chaos Emeralds and doesn't appear to have any power of it's own?

6. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I think Tyson Hesse said the Master Emerald after the end of the movie became the same Master Emerald as the games. And it should have some power, since Knuckles repaired it and is still guarding it in the movie.

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I still have no idea of the logic of the Master Emerald in that movie.

If they collect and forge the seven Chaos Emeralds into one again, does it make another Master Emerald?
    Why does it have it's own power when it was only a shell for the seven Chaos?
    Why does it have power over the seven Chaos when it was born of them?

But this isn't the Sonic the Hedgehog (2022) movie thread, so I'll let that be.

8. RDNexus

RDNexus

Maybe it was created for those precise purposes?
    I don't see why this logic can't be applied to it ^^"

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    All that's said is, quote:
    As far as I can see, it was only a weapon designed to harness the Chaos Emeralds.

I would assume that, while the movie shows the seven coming together and the Master Emerald forming around it, the use of 'forged' infers the Master Emerald was more 'built' around them, but that still doesn't answer how the Master Emerald would have power of it's own, greater than the Chaos Emeralds it held.

It also doesn't answer why the Echidna didn't remove the Chaos Emeralds from the first one, since it was infused with their power without needing them any more, and make more so more of their warriors could use a Master Emerald...

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they retcon the Master Emerald we see into a limited-time Super Emerald, with everyone mistaking it for the genuine article, and the actual Master Emerald is still elsewhere in the universe...

But again, this isn't the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (2022) thread, let's leave the topic there.

So about that seventh Chaos Emerald being mentioned since even before the first game's release...

Actually, that also infers the Chaos Emeralds were only supposed to be a set of seven from the start, not a set per island... this may require looking into, if SEGA of Japan were telling them specific things, or if the US Bible Writers were just getting really lucky...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  10. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    What I gathered is that they managed to merge the chaos emeralds and the master emerald to basically make a "Super Master Emerald". When the power was misused/overused, the energy was drained and they separated because they were probably keeping themselves together. No creating a new crystal with just the emeralds etc, just a simple plot convenient procedure to make 8 things into 1 thing.

11. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    Since we're talking about it, I figure I'd share the relevant post from Tyson from the Cinematic Universe thread:

What I gathered from this is that the Master Emerald was built around the emeralds and had it's own powers that amplified/controlled the chaos emeralds within. While this is no longer the case at the end of the film, it still retains those powers.

12. RDNexus

RDNexus

Funny thing, this whole talk about the emeralds.

+ - With the final episodes of the fangame Sonic Omens, came the interesting take on the emeralds and Master Emerald being destroyed. The game being placed after Unleashed, connecting to Sonic X and trying to explain why the emeralds lost relevance since Colors...  

I wonder if Sonic Team were ever capable of doing such a thing...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Eeeeh, I don't plan on touching that game to find out, what with the for-profit thing.

Could I get a recap or anything so I know what's going on, please?

14. RDNexus

RDNexus

Sorry, I can't explain. It gets a bit complex for me to be capable of recapping it ^^"
    Maybe someone else here is capable of doing so...

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Eh, no worries, it's a fangame anyway.

I'm trying to otherwise look into the whole Seventh Chaos Emerald in 1991 thing, but there's not much in the way of internal documents from Japan... Does anyone know of anywhere that might have more internal documents Sonic Retro might not have?

16. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

12:26
    - Does the "classic world"/Sonic Mania universe no longer exist? Or the only difference between the two timelines is what happened to Sonic Mania and its DLC? I mean, all the classic games that are considered canon, are they canon in both universes except for Mania?

- Again, I can't really get into it right now, so... I'm just gonna have to say #KnowingSmile.

[again]

17. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    People are allowed to ask non-sonic questions, right? It's not a Sonic podcast?

18. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Yeah but of course Sonic is Ian’s bread and butter so that’s what the majority wants of questions are.

19. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I think at this point “knowing smile” means “please don’t make Sega yell at me again”

20. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

18:43
    - I had a question about Classic Sonic and the Chaos Emeralds. In terms of the story, why are there only 6 Chaos Emeralds in Sonic 1 when Sonic Origins shows the seventh and the others towards 2?

- I don't know. When we were discussing how to compose the cutscenes for Sonic Origins, it was like: 'how do we want to tackle this?' and we had a very limited means of doing so, so we just skewed towards what it was presented in the games and let it remain a bit of a mistery. Let the Chaos Emeralds be kind of mysterious.

28:01
    - sorry i am just wondering now that Sonic CD is confirmed to be before Sonic 2, does this mean Metal Sonic is the first ever Sonic robot? Or did secret prototypes like Mecha from sonic 2 gg exist

- It makes Metal Sonic the first to appear, but you could argue that the old Mecha Sonic (or Silver Sonic, whatever you want to call the thing) predates him. We just didn't see it until the Game Gear games.