don't click here

Sonic Triple Trouble 16-Bit

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Noah Copeland, Nov 13, 2019.

1. RDNexus

RDNexus

The Metal Sonic fight's theme, mixing 3 different themes into one, was cool.
    Stardust Speedway JP & US and Death Egg's Eye. A good reference, indeed.

Also, I just noticed that 4-part teleporter in Atomic Destroyer is another X-treme reference.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Funny thing, I remember being in the stream when Noah made that song and suggesting Never Let It Go. That’s my tiny input on this game.

3. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    I put together an episode of my new youtube show Game Facts Special with trivia and facts of both versions of Sonic Triple Trouble.

Congrats Noah!

4. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    I haven't cleared the game yet. I'm currently on Robotnik Winter Zone but I want to say what I have played so far has blown me away. Once I beat it I'll definitely be replaying it.

5. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    On my + - Knuckles   playthrough and...my god...Tidal Planet 2 is just atrocious like this. *Especially* the boss. I'm sorry, but the whole thing is just such a drag. Had a game over, which has killed my motivation to keep playing right now tbh.

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Ooh this thing. Nice job actually completing it - you now belong to a rare breed.

It's a bit janky in places - with each passing year it becomes harder to overlook snapping cameras and the falling ring physics, but yeah, pretty decent - people should play it.

Though I won't lie - some of the graphics could do with more time in the oven. Some of it is maybe out of your control - Sunset Park has always been BROWN ZONE and Tidal Plant is shaped by Game Gear limitations, but there's a mixture of "very smooth" and "not remotely smooth" animations which don't quite gel together. I get the psuedo Mega Drive-style sprite scaling is meant to give the impression this is a Mega Drive game... but it doesn't actually feel like a Mega Drive game, so I'm not sure if it works?

I guess it's like biting the hand that feeds you since finished fan games are so rare, but it's like, are awkward Sonic 3 sprite edits good enough in 2022? I genuinely don't know. The music of the later levels is a mixed bag... bit it was in the original source material too. It's an interesting case study.

The other thing, which I haven't decided is even really a thing yet, is that for a game called "Triple Trouble", it seems weighted towarwds Nack.

In fairness I'm fairly sure this was Sega of America's marketing giving false impressions - neither Nack, Knuckles or Eggman give you much "trouble" in the original game (see: most of the bosses just being big badniks), but I'd probably want to give them equal-ish screen time in a remake - have all of them gett in the players' way (and each others' way).

I know narratively it doesn't make much sense for Knuckles to have a big role... but uh... look there's a switch in Meta Junglira that Nack pushes just minutes after you ram his face into the ground - it should be Knuckles here instead

If I were a younger man I'd come up with more detailed examples and possible solutions, but again, very well done. People will say that the Sonic Chaos remake had the edge, but you've won by default because yours is finished ;)

7. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    I cant get my Hyperkin or Retro Bit USB genesis controllers to work properly with this game and there seems to be no controller options except rumble. Am I missing something?

8. Linkabel

Linkabel

I really love the game!

Like the Easter eggs and surprised moments. Towards the end it did something I wish official Sonic games would actually do.

The only thing I wish is that you would be able to use Super Sonic after completing the game and getting the emeralds. At least in Free Play.

Not sure if anyone ran into this big issue, but I'll put it in spoilers since it happens during a cutscene towards the end.

If you get all the emeralds you get a cutscene where Metal beats you up and transforms. Then Knuckles saves you and starts pushing Metal away.

For some reason, the game would just stay with Knuckles, Metal and Fang and would not move back to Sonic and Tails. It was funny seeing Knuckles pushing Metal offscreen and Fang standing like an idiot.

Quit the game, went through the Eggman gauntlet and unfortunately happened again.

Saying that, I found minimizing the window snaps back to the Sonic and Tails scene allowing you to keep going forward

9. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Heads up, turns out you can actually go Super by going back into story mode after beating the game with all emeralds. The game does nothing to indicate that this is the case.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Played through this as Sonic and Knuckles, lovely little reimagining you got here (and thank you for including widescreen as an option). My only main issue would be the default control layout for an xbox one controller. Screen resize is mapped to clicking the left stick and pause to clicking the right stick (and the D-pad just felt weird). But seriously overall bravo, definitely one of the finest 2D Sonic fan games to date

Another unfortunate... Playing as Metal Sonic. To get him you have to beat the game as Knuckles, and after all that hype with his boss powers and his involvement in the plot he just... hovers down slowly when you press jump twice. Realllyyy weak implementation of a character to an otherwise fantastic package.

Like couldn't he maybe fly or turn into Knuckles or something? Fang's really fun, and Knuckles adds his usual flair, what happened with Metal?

Oh one other suggestion, Tidal Planet 1 is in desperate need of an earlier checkpoint.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  11. Linkabel

Linkabel

Ok, I must be dumb but how do you turn into Super? I try every way to do it (pressing jump twice, every other button, etc etc) but nothing happens.

12. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    It is just pressing jump twice… I don’t know what's going wrong for you.

13. Linkabel

Linkabel

So I tried it with a different gamepad and that seemed to work (?)

Another glitch I encountered is that Knuckles loses lives when entering bonus stages for some reason.

14. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Oh, you did end up adding widescreen? Very cool, I'm eager to play this this weekend. Congrats on joining the elite few who have finished a fan project! That's gotta feel good.

15. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
  16. Xilla

Xilla

Really been enjoying this, I'll give my full thoughts once I've finished it with all characters.

Dunno if it's intentional but nothing happens when you press jump+up when playing as Knuckles, maybe just a little oversight here? (I personally only notice it because I have a habit of holding up when about to jump+glide into a wall when playing S3K/Mania)

17. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Oh hey, been looking forward to this!
    ...Except I can't download it. GameJolt is down/dead? Please put up a mirror!

18. I have been LOVING this game!!

...But I seemed to hit a bug in Robotnik Winter Zone, this crash happened during the chase sequence:

of Step EventobjRWZ_AvaFlameGate
    for object objCharacterSnowboard3D:

bool argument is unset############################################################################################
    gml_Script_scr_character_die_script (line 14)
    gml_Object_objCharacterSnowboard3D_Collision_objRWZ_AvaFlameGate (line 12)

19. Noah Copeland

Noah Copeland

Good ear! It also references the original Triple Trouble Metal Sonic theme very briefly at the start as well. So it's a medley of FOUR themes! woot
    As yes, there are several X-Treme references. Good eye!

Hi everyone, forgot to update here, but yes, obviously the game is released now XD
    A new hotfix just dropped here to fix some issues: (save files should transfer)
    https://gamejolt.com/games/sonictripletrouble16bit/322794

Some highlights:
    -improved Knuckles physics
    -removed ADZ2 softlock
    -redid gold shield
    -improved sprites/animations
    -"roll jump lock" toggle
    -options lag fixed
    -reduced badniks falling through floors
    -and more!

In next patch, I'm looking at redoing all the controller input code, as there seem to be a lot of people getting issues with their gamepad.
    Man, developing PC is tricky cause there are SO many controllers and configurations out there!

Anyway, thanks for playing my game everyone. I can't believe so many people are actually playing it and also not hating it XD
    It's been a five year journey for me, and I'm very happy to be done!
    (and by done, I mean, still suffering in bux fixing hell for the time being. I can't wait to take a vacation)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2022
  20. RDNexus

RDNexus

Final Boss too, it seems. Your work got me curious to check Sonic Wiki about X-treme. That's how I found out.
    About Metal's theme, since I didn't check TT's Metal fight, I didn't recognize said 4th theme ^^"
    Also, did you even consider putting Metal Knux in TT16 instead of Metal Sonic? I think it'd have been a nice addition.
    And Metal Sonic would be free to do its thing during Chaotix's events ^^"