don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Snowbound

Snowbound

DC18AE50-9BD7-433F-A635-25265B5DA76B.jpeg
    Hmm… Methyl was used in Headcannon’s Path Tracer system
    C625E88D-F888-4D16-A893-E0142A9C7188.jpeg so maybe this is related to Origins improvements? Regardless I will definitely be supporting Headcanon’s indie work.

2. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    It's probably unrelated to Origins. I'd say that at this point any hope of Origins being fixed of all it's issues are pretty dead and buried, especially after Stealth's outburst on twitter.

I'd love to eat my words, but it's probably not happening.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    The Path Tracer is a component of Methyl that was implemented into the Retro Engine for S3K. That's all it is. There's nothing to look deep into here.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Stealth had his Denuvo outburst with Mania and sure enough they hired him again. So who knows?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Are the weird ledge-detection issues, which result in, say, not being able to reach that last Giant Ring in Hydrocity Act 2, the result of the Path Tracer and Methyl? If so, then Methyl getting an overhaul of some kind just before an Origins patch might mean the ledge-detection issues are going to be fixed.

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Counterpoint: If Stealth has not been brought in for post-launch work, surely he'd have no compunction telling us as such? If the bridge has already been burned, how much more damage could it really do to let us know that?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Thomley, Whitehead et al. are fans. They love Sonic and want to see it do well. They have integrity for their work obviously, but I think there is still a level of courtesy involved even as they are frustrated with the way the company has treated them.

8. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    also didn't Katie say there were fixes coming. I swear I remember her saying that

9. Snowbound

Snowbound

Yes:
    That does not mean that headcanon is necessarily doing the fixes. It could be the “team” at sega… hears hoping it’s Headcannon though :)

10. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    This time we're talking about SOJ. The entire collection was developed in Japan.
    As I understand it, SOA commissioned S3K from Stealth and then SOJ redeveloped that product into Origins.

Involving Headcannon again could make the QA harder as their fixes could break mission mode or the Criware audio implementation in the final software since they didn't touch the Origins code itself.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    True but who else would fix the S3K bugs? I doubt SoJ has the technical expertise with the Retro Engine that they'd be capable of doing it themselves. Although apparently most of the bugs are related to how they implemented S3K rather than S3K itself.

But it would make the most sense to give all 4 games back to Stealth so he could bring them up to speed. He made them after all, should've given him more control over this.

Still can't believe most of these problems stem from their insistence on using the Hedgehog Engine of all things to make some cute little dioramas. Talk about square peg in a round hole, it makes no sense (this was the project to outsource Sega, not Colors Ultimate, you know the game you all made originally only to give to someone else. THAT should have been shoved into the Hedgehog Engine).

Sega logic:
    Didn't make the originals = compile them yourself
    Did make the original = have someone else touch it up

And both ended up as they did... Good :eng99:

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Ideally, Headcannon would be given all the games to work with with as much time as they need. But I don't think that's likely. They'll be working on fixing S3K only, if anything at all. SEGA were already happy with to stick their oar into 1, 2 and CD to implement their broken Drop Dash and make a few other changes, so they could get involved with 3K too. Whatever they do, my expectations are low

13. Surely the S1/S2 Tails respawn bug would have to be a priority to fix in any patch?

14. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I'm hearing similarities between parts of Launch Base Zone Act 1's new music and the hook of Ozzy Osbourne's song Centre of Eternity. Anyone else think "hey, this sounds familiar?"

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Apparently according to the cutting room floor that glitch is due to a fuck up in their drop dash implementation, so I would hope they'd fix that

16. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    It appears that a patch has been released for the PS4 version of Origins (version 1.04):

- it fixes the Tails AI issue
    - incorrect song titles have been fixed for the classic music pack
    - additional features in S3&K’s sound test (hmmm…)
    - Blue Spheres music apparently speeds up again
    - no longer able to jump over boundaries in the mission mode (like in that one Mushroom Hill mission)
    - additional bug fixes

EDIT: The patch seems to have rolled out to all other platforms and there is a detailed list of bug fixes on the Asia SEGA site for Origins

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 11
    • List
  17. Pengi

Pengi

Have the various S3&K issues been fixed? The Hydro City Act 2 boss ceiling, the Marble Garden falling rubble, the misplaced springs in Mushroom Hill, the Death Egg graphics in the Launch Base to Mushroom Hill transition?

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm guessing they reactivated some of those dormant S3K codes, like all animals are squirrels, all items are bananas, maybe even Egg Reviere flight and the Super Peel Out, all of which are welcome additions in my book. I wonder what the codes are (Stealths birthday I'm guessing for the squirrels, maybe they recycled some Mania codes?)

Oh is the sound balancing no longer piss? But great to see they fixed the glaring issues with this collection (and I hope the Tails fix applies to Sonic 1 as well). Now if they could just let you continue from a finished save file we'd be set (at the bare minimum do that for Sonic 1 and 2 as those options used to exist and were removed. CD not so much, and I get that'd be adding extra work)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  19. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I’ve read comments from other players on Discord saying that they actually fixed the audio quality issues for the games.. I have no means of testing at the moment so I can’t confirm.

I’m curious to see if:

- They fixed the score tally to remove the hidden cool bonus in Sonic 3
    - The HUD has been fixed for the Glowing Sphere and Gumball bonus stages
    - The infamous “erase your emeralds/progress” glitch has been removed
    - The “sixth emerald hard crash for Sonic 1” when doing a Sonic & Tails run has been fixed (however this appears to be Switch only)

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I doubt they'll restore the Cool bonus. Even if it's there lying dormant, that's more clearly a Mania leftover and not a cut feature. It wasn't a feature in Sonic 3, and if it's not the drop dash they're not going to add it. Kinda like the combi ring in debug mode (I wonder if they fixed that glitched Mania HUD though)