don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member

Some homebrew of mine is now able to visualise SFX and modulation. It makes for a nice way of understanding how they work, as opposed to staring at the raw SMPS data instead. Hopefully I'll be able to release this soon.

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Excellent work!

3. Giovanni

Giovanni

It's Joe-vanni, not Geo-vanni. Member
    Italy
    Sonic Hacking Contest
    Here's a first look at the new design for the Main Menu for Sonic 1 - Score Rush!

Plans are for each submenu to have a different palette and background text.

This is from a development build. The final build will have sound.

Below, the main menu's background, but without the foreground text, for viewing pleasure.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  4. [​IMG]
    Trust me when I say the level is planned to be MUCH bigger.

5. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Looks nice. But, as I understand- your hack it's just recreating of some concept art levels? I mean, without proto-story, and other references from early ideas?
    I follow for this project for a long time, and I just want to be a sure.
    Anyway, in future realeses, do you'll port something from beta/concept art?

6. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member

New project of mine that is inspired by Sonic VR. The same gist, but using Mania's objects for wacky, interesting platforming challenges. Frankly I'm not sure if this will actually come to fruition or not, but it'd be cool if it did.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  7. upload_2022-7-26_21-38-43.png upload_2022-7-26_21-42-41.png

I know some of you are probably wondering why the next build is taking so long; well, after SHC 2021, I really wanted to improve my hack for its next (major) release; progress on the hack has been still continuing, but school work has prevented any (major) progress.

Whether or not it is at SHC 2022 is dependent on whether or not I think it'll be "presentable", although I at least want another build out by Sonic 2's thirtieth anniversary.

8. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    I was digging through some old hacks of mine when I stumbled across these ancient relics from 2014 and 2016.

Remember that Project Sand/Sonic Aftermath hack that I have a few old videos about? Here's the one level of it that was worked on before the project died: Sand Zone from Cave Story.

There's not much that I can tell you about it: this one test level was made before I came up with any ideas for gimmicks and the sort. That purple mess in the middle of the stage is supposed to be spikes, but its graphics are overwritten with the level tiles.

I believe that the music is a straight port from Cave Story: the Organya music was converted to XM with the org2xm tool, then that was converted to SMPS with xm2smps, and then that was converted from binary to ASM with SMPS2ASM, allowing it to be installed in my hack's custom sound driver. This hack was either rocking my Sonic 2 Clone Driver v2, or Flamewing's Flamedriver. After all this time, I can't remember which.

This footage is of an earlier build of my hack than the one seen in the other videos. The reason for this is that the hack was remade from scratch after this build, and this level was never reintroduced afterwards.

Here's a cutscene that was one of the last things that was worked on before the project died.

This was meant to be the opening cutscene to Knuckles' story: the hack was meant to be a 'what if' scenario where Sonic 2 ends differently, leading to a different series of events in what would be Sonic 3. This cutscene depicts the Death Egg landing in Angel Island's volcano directly after the events of Sonic 2, instead of the lake like it normally does. Following this, Knuckles would have gone to investigate it. At the time, I didn't have Knuckles ported into the game, so I used Sonic as a placeholder.

Between this cutscene, Sand Zone, and the custom title screen, this is all there ever was to Project Sand/Sonic Aftermath.

9. upload_2022-8-1_17-1-14.png
    You have been blessed by "detailed Sonic" and "adorable Tails".

10. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Meanwhile, while the French text for S3K is being done by another person - I had a time to give a some PROMOTION to my another idea:
    s1built_000.png

11. DNX

DNX

... Eh. Member
    One of these things is not like the other..

12. Devon

Devon

Down you're going... down you're going... Tech Member
    your mom
    I don't think the Sonic 1 shades of blue on Sonic fit well with how the rest of the sprite uses the more blue tinted colors. Sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

13. DNX

DNX

... Eh. Member
    Was more of showcasing the egg mobile. That Sonic, in particular is just from a mod. Point is that I got what I needed working for the egg mobile.

14. Giovanni

Giovanni

It's Joe-vanni, not Geo-vanni. Member
    Italy
    Sonic Hacking Contest
    Introducing... the Quick Rush!

The Quick Rush is one of the two new gamemodes of Sonic 1 - Score Rush. In this gamemode, you're tasked with racking up the highest amount of points possible within one singular level as your score decreases.

The above video demonstrates two levels: Green Hill Zone act 1, and Marble Zone act 2, in Normal and Hard mode respectively, as well as the new Quick Rush exclusive Title Card for the end of levels.

Look forward to Sonic 1 - Score Rush REV02's release on October 10th 2022 at the Sonic Hacking Contest!

15. Devon

Devon

your mom
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I'm wondering if that's a Sonic CD hack that imports stuff from other games, or it is a hack that makes Wacky Workbench a level in every other game.

17. Devon

Devon

your mom
    It's a Sonic CD hack.

18. Looks like an easy and fun adventure. :3

19. Devon

Devon

your mom
    It's as fun as a self-circumcision!

• Like Like x 1