don't click here

Hack [WIP] S3K multilanguage

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Nik Pi, Jun 25, 2022.

1. Rrose80149

Rrose80149

Are the Russian translations, Polish translations, and other translations use the MJ tracks while the French translation uses the prototype tracks? I just made like how translations are similar to Sonic X where in Episode 52 (26 for Season 2 or Episode 26 for Season 1) the music for the Japanese dub version and other dub versions that have the Japanese dub version uses the DVD music while the French version, I saw, uses the TV music (Natsu no Hi is Summer Day by OFF COURSE, Kotoba ni Dekinai in S1 Ep.26 and Midori no Hibi in S2 Ep.26).

2. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Switching between prototype music and final music will be presented in all versions.
    Would be strange, if all versions had a one type of OST, and one version had a another type of ost...
    Also, in the French version, we can just make the proto OST as default OST, and MJ tracks by default in other translations.
    But it needs a time.
    P.S.: Thanks for uploading this .asm music archive! ;)
    (But unused theme anyway will be plays in super form, without the way to change it. Live with this :))

3. Cool, although some of the tracks (particularly Ice Cap Act 1's) are incomplete in the prototype and would probably require improvement.

4. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    I agree with your opinion. I don't sure, how to improve it, but would be cool to make proto tracks more finalized, a-la bouncy glow music's versions.

If I'll find a time, I want to learn how to make it

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  5. Rrose80149

Rrose80149

Ice Cap 1 has the FM drums from Plus. Japanese might have the proto tracks too even Chinese and Cantonese. If you want the S3 credits you can change the 15 to 26 in MusicPlaylist.bin.

6. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Thanks for information, @Rrose80149.
    Also, here is..
    sonic3k_007.png
    French HUD!
    Honestly stolen from S1's French translation, and bit changed (:<
    I want to contact with peoples, who translated Sonic 1 for French and Spanish. I hope, they will agree to work in this project)
    Also, what do you think about that S1 translations? Should i use that as basis for this project?

7. Rrose80149

Rrose80149

Notes is actually "Score" but sure.

8. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    You should keep "score", it exists in French.
    "A.Or" looks strange to me. Do you have room for "Anneaux" ?

9. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Yeah this is rough. I'd recommend starting from scratch, ether me or @Adamis can handle the translation; since there's so little text to actually translate it shouldn't take much time.

10. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Ok, "Notes" will be changed to "Score".
    "A. Or" exists, just because it was in French translation from Romhacking.net, and honestly, I dissatisfied with how it looks now. But I hasn't space for "Anneaux". Ofcourse, I'll try to make all for implement this.
    You mean text only, or realization of text in game?
    Anyway- thanks for it. But a small request: try to make the translated words not too long than the original ones, because there are tiles and VRAM limitations, so it will be difficult to implement Bacefshwsmwvasg* instead of the word "Island"
    *This "word" is just a example. I didn't mean to offend anyone with this "word". Peace to everyone.
    Note:
    To translate text from the result screens (like "Someone get a something emerald"), use a limited number of letters (26)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  11. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Yeah but we can't invent words either. I mean, "rings" translates to "anneaux" or "bagues" in French, in this context. There's no shorter word for it.
    "A.Or" is just a short version of "Anneaux d'or", meaning "golden rings".

12. in sonic 1, it's possible to view and edit the title card maps from within sonmaped. you just have to extract title card mappings from sonic.asm
    upload_2022-7-26_12-18-9.png
    if only it was that easy in sonic 3... :/

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Yes, I understand it. As I said- I'll try to find the way to make a better translation

14. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    From what I've seen at a glance the translation isn't right at all and I think it'd be better to start from scratch.
    Of course, there's technical limitations to take into account, but as Adamis said...we can't really invent words either.

In some Sonic games, "anneaux" is kept as "rings" even in the french version, but of course the goal of a linguistic exercice like this is to translate everything, some leaving some english would be a bit of a cop-out.

What I think we should do is translate everything first, and take limitations and compromises into account afterwards.
    Is there dump of Sonic 3's text available anywhere? Or do we have to comb the game and get everything ourselves?

Translators working on localising video games have a very limited amount of time; budget; and context.
    Compromises have to be made, perhaps more so than any other media.
    As someone who's dream is to be a video game translator, hearing the tired "lAzY trAnSlatOrs!" argument over and over again is honestly exhausting.

Not only that, but leaving some English intact would be a cop-out in the context of this project.
    In a professional translation it's perfectly acceptable, "rings" are supposed to be these strange collectables, there's a reason the translation teams decided to leave the term as is or phonetically adapt it.

edit: I would like to clarify I'm not against discussing and debating translations.
    I'm a huge languages nerd, I could spend hours talking about why some translators decided to translate a word to something or something else. In fact I don't even agree with the decision to leave "rings" as is in the french version myself.
    It's just the "lazy/incompetent translator" part that I'm not okay with. Please be more respectful:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2022
  15. here is the current translated title screen:
    upload_2022-7-26_13-18-9.png
    trying to figure out how to remove the 'Sonic The Hedgehog' subtext

16. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?posts/1012931/
    @SuperSnoopy it's nice to see a human, who worry about the quality of the upcoming translation. It is useful to have such a stubborn person in your like-minded people. I sincerely regret that I upset you with the quality of the translation. Keep in mind that I had to be guided by an online translator, notes from PAL manuals, and translation of 3 a.i.r. from Rrose80149. I don't mind starting the translation again, the main thing is that people are satisfied. And if such knowledgeable people like you will participate in this project, it will be a very great honor for me :)

17. yes, there are 2 shared versions of the english word list: the original one i believe by nik pi which lacks flying battery and updated one

18. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    just cover it up in photoshop, import it via SonMaped, and export the graphics

19. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    Thanks, that's gonna be a major time saver.
    I'm sorry if I gave the impression I was upset with the translation, I wasn't at all!
    I was just sharing my thoughts and didn't realise you were the one responsible for it. If anything, I respect your passion for translation projects and willingness to step out of your confort zone and deal with languages you don't speak.

I'll update this post in a little while with my translation, and we can work on it from here.

edit: here it is, it's a quick and dirty translation so I'm open to feedback, of course :p
    SONIC the hedgehog 3 > SONIC le hérisson 3
    & KNUCKLES > & KNUCKLES
    1 PLAYER > 1 JOUEUR
    COMPETITION > COMPETITION
    SOUND TEST > TEST SON
    SETTINGS > PARAMETRES
    SONIC 3 > SONIC 3
    SONIC & KNUCKLES > SONIC & KNUCKLES
    TIME ATTACK > COURSE CONTRE LA MONTRE
    PLAYER 1 > JOUEUR 1
    MATCH RACE > DUEL
    GRANDPRIX > GRAND PRIX
    EXIT > RETOUR
    AZURE LAKE > LAC D'AZUR
    BALOON PARK > PARC BALLON
    CHROME GADGET > GADGET CHROME
    DESERT PALACE > PALAIS DU DESERT
    ENDLESS MINE > MINE SANS FIN
    RESULTS > RESULTATS
    WIN > VICTOIRE
    SCORE > SCORE
    TIME > TEMPS
    RINGS > ANNEAUX
    BEST TIME > MEILLEUR TEMPS
    LAP > TOUR
    CONTINUE > CONTINUE
    NO SAVE > PAS DE SAUVEGARDE
    NEW > NOUVEAU
    ZONE > ZONE
    DATA SELECT > CHOISIR DONNEES
    DELETE > SUPPRIMER
    YES NO > OUI NON
    SONIC > SONIC
    TAILS > TAILS
    KNUCKLES/K-T-E/KNUX > KNUCKLE/K-L-E/KNUX
    ZONE > ZONE
    ANGEL ISLAND > ILE DE L’ANGE
    HYDROCITY > HYDROCITE
    MARBLE GARDEN > JARDIN DE MARBRE
    CARNIVAL NIGHT >NUIT DE CARNAVAL
    ICE CAP > CALOTTE GLACIAIRE
    LAUNCH BASE > BASE DE LANCEMENT
    MUSHROOM HILL/VALLEY > COLLINE DES CHAMPIGNONS/VALLEE DES CHAMPIGNONS
    FLYING BATTERY > BATTERIE VOLANTE
    SANDOPOLIS > SABLOPOLIS
    LAVA REEF >RECIF DE LAVE
    HIDDEN PALACE >PALAIS CACHE
    SKY SANCTUARY > SANCTUAIRE DU CIEL
    DEATH EGG > ŒUF DE LA MORT
    DOOMSDAY > JUGEMENT DERNIER
    SOUND TEST > TEST SON
    LEVEL > NIVEAU
    GET BLUE SPHERES > RECUPERE LES SPHERE BLEUES
    PERFECT > PARFAIT
    GOT A CHAOS EMERALD > A OBTENU UNE EMERAUDE DU CHAOS
    BONUS > BONUS
    SPECIAL STAGE > NIVEAU SPECIAL
    GOT THEM ALL > LES A TOUTES EUES
    NOW CAN TRANSFORM INTO SUPER/HYPER > PEUT SE TRANSFORMER EN SUPER/HYPER
    GOT THROUGH ACT > A TERMINÉ L’ACTE
    BONUS STAGE >NIVEAU BONUS

Attached Files:

• fr.txt
      File size:
      1.6 KB
      Views:
  20. in thatversion, flying battery is missing
    edit:
    closest i have is either paint.net, or gimp
    also, that'd look kinda weird wouldn't it? i'm just considering just translating the thing if it works