don't click here

Hack Sonic 1: Alternate Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by XPointZPoint, Jul 7, 2022.

1. XPointZPoint

XPointZPoint

That's no good! Member
    THIS HACK IS GETTING A REVAMP FOR SHC2024 OR LATER! If you want to play it now, go play the hellscape that is version 1.

The release is here:
    Presenting Sonic 1, but it's from an alternative universe! Instead of Green Hill being farmed and milked by SEGA, it's Forested Hills! Most unused things, are now used! The game was created in 1993 instead of 1991! Instead of the Labyrinth boss being a nightmare, it's super easy! It's a work in progress and because so, here's some screenshots of the first version currently being worked on:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Please note everything may be subject to change! This IS NOT final!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
  2. oh yeah this seems like a cool project

3. XPointZPoint

XPointZPoint

That's no good! Member
    Just finished adding SRAM features! If you press A on the title screen, you're brought to the level saved on SRAM. If you press B, your data is cleared!

4. is there new progress? this seems like a nice rom hack and i'd love to play it

5. XPointZPoint

XPointZPoint

That's no good! Member
    finishing up some sega cd bonus features. i'll release the hack probably in 2 days

I had to recover from a sickness from yesterday, today, so hopefully I can release the hack by tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2022
  6. E107- Theta

E107- Theta

Texas
    Now this is looking pretty sweet.

7. XPointZPoint

XPointZPoint

That's no good! Member
    It's out!

Sonic 1: Alternate Edition is a rom hack that imagines Sonic 1, from a different universe! Here are some of the features and new stuff:
    - SEGA CD / MEGA CD Bonuses: Attach a MCD or SCD (or enable Cart Boot in Kega Fusion's .INI file) and unlock some bonus features!
    - SRAM: Save your game, and pick up where you left off. On the title screen, to clear your SRAM, press B. To load it and play the game, press A.
    - S1Beta (or every other MD game)'s Sega Screen: Supplied with it's own custom jingle.
    - S2 (or S3) level select: Press C on the title screen to pick and choose a level or play songs in the sound test.
    - New soundtrack: Soundtracks custom made or from other games!
    - Retain your rings: All throughout every act and level

I had tested this on BlastEM, an accurate emulator, since as of now, I don't have real hardware and can confirm, it should work on real hardware. I only came across one crash, while entering the level select. But you can get out of it by pressing C. Other than that, it should in fact work. If anyone wants to try on real hardware themselves, go ahead and if you want, send me feedback as to how your results were!

The download is just below, so what are you waiting for? Go ahead and play!

Attached Files:

8. uh,, if you press A on the first play on the title screen (you don't have any SRAM data) it crashes the game and hangs on a black screen
    edit: you have to press B then A
    also, DON'T go to special stage 2. it is impossible to complete
    edit 2:
    upload_2022-7-22_7-9-53.png

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  9. XPointZPoint

XPointZPoint

That's no good! Member
    oops.. left some bugs in, I will release an eventual patch. Also that HUD glitch is because this uses a SSRG member's S2 HUD code in sonic 1 patch, and there doesn't seem to be a patch for that bug. I could try to fix it myself.

10. Devon

Devon

Down you're going... down you're going... Tech Member
    your mom
    In Sonic 2, it uses a flag to determine when to draw the HUD (Level_started_flag IIRC), so you'll need to port that over. It just gets set once the level starts after the title card moves out of the way.

11. XPointZPoint

XPointZPoint

That's no good! Member
    I have decided to move on from Sonic 1 Alternative Edition. It's a shitty hack and I have better rom hacks being worked on. I'll post something about that upcoming hack soon.

12. XPointZPoint

XPointZPoint

That's no good! Member
    jk im working on a version 2, and it'll be A LOT better than this garbage