don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Algo922

Algo922

Agreed on the collision issues. If updated in the next patch, I think it will make the changes much more manageable for everyone in-terms of how everyone controls in Sonic 3K.

Also, honestly in a perfect world where Stealth's team had the opportunity to update the original remasters, I would have liked to see anniversary mode go further beyond and implement the Mania physics in Sonic 1,2 and CD. Of course keeping in-mind the Mania mods that currently exist of the original games, the more methodical level design approach in Sonic 1 and CD, and going further beyond eliminating the control lock in Sonic 1 & 2.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
  2. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Of all the things they could have added, they put in a toggle for the S1 spike bug??

3. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    That was in the original iOS release, no? In my experience that has been a point of import for purists.

4. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I’m disappointed to see that they removed Super Tails from Sonic 2 Anniversary mode. I get removing it from Classic, because that’s supposed to be more authentic to the originals. But removing him from Anniversary makes no sense at all. They could at least make it a toggle option. The only way to access him now is via debug.

It also seems Knuckles isn’t accessible in Sonic 2 classic mode (unless you use level select), which is daft, because he was in the original when you locked on S&K!

Also, how do you get Hidden Palace accessible in the level select? I’ve beaten the game in story mode and in save mode with Knuckles & Tails, but Hidden Palace is still inaccessible in the level select.

5. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Super Tails was never playable in the remastered version of S2 in normal game mode. You could only enable Super Tails via debug mode by using an "S" monitior, which is exactly the same for Origins in Anniversary & Classic Mode.

Here's a quick video I did showing Super Tails in S2 in Origins:

In Level select you need to enter the following code in soundtest: 03, 03, 03, 0B, 10, 10, 10, 04, then select Hidden Palace to play this zone.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
  6. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Oh, I guess my memories was playing tricks on me! It's odd that they didn’t put it in the mobile original, as you can go Super Tails in Sonic 1 Remastered. I am surprised that for Sonic 2 Remaster, they didn’t even give a toggle to enable it. But at least that clears up Origins!

7. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    The final standings, one month later.

Opencritic - 77 "Strong", 75 reviews, 66% of critics recommend

Metacritic:
    PS5 - 78 "Generally favorable", 42 reviews
    Switch - 74 "Mixed and/or average", 20 reviews
    Xbox Series X - 75 "Generally favorable", 11 reviews
    PC - 73 "Mixed and/or average", 11 reviews
    PS4 - 72 "Mixed and/or average", 4 reviews
    -
    Xbox One (1 review)

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  8. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Also wasn't Knuckles and Tails also a cheat only option in the mobile remake?

9. Algo922

Algo922

I think it's been suggested here, but wow I wish Sonic CD had a toggle feature in-game in regards to whether you actually want to time travel or not. Going to the future is utterly useless (other than checking out its aesthetic) and collecting the time-stones make going to the past to destroy the generators redundant IF you're fine just doing the special stages.

I'd like to check out Sonic CD's level design without being interrupted by the game's main mechanic, as obtuse as that sounds. I know Tidal Tempest can be completed faster by time-traveling; an in-game toggle would still make that possible. Of course, there's always mods.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It was, which makes the exclusion of Sonic & Tails mode in Sonic 1 even more confusing, as that was a standard feature (which that last speed strat video even acknowledged that Mode's existence so they know its there just for whatever reason, I'm guessing plot related, they scrapped it in favor of Sonic 2 being just the "and Tails" game)

11. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Does Sonic 1's Sonic and Tails have two player functionality or is it only CPU/one player. That could be a big deal breaker in that regard.

If it is the same though, yeah it's a bit odd, unless it was simply to break the consistency of the select screens so no Knuckles in CD didn't seem as glaring.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I think that the main take away from choices like this (which are further backed up by the explanation for the Tails respawn bug) is that the people at Sonic Team who worked on the Origins package simply didn't have a fucking clue how the Retro Engine games were made. And even if they did, the scope of the project dictated that they couldn't give a fuck either. It didn't matter what was or wasn't included in the Retro Engine versions already, or what functionality had already been designed. And god forbid anything else was changed about these games apart from a poorly programed Drop Dash that could be slapped into trailers.

I couldn't really feel much more cynical about this game than I do right now. In SEGA's eyes, the legwork for Origins was already completed years ago. All they had to do was get two small third parties to make S3K and the cutscenes so that then they could just shove in into their own proprietary shell for a quick buck.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    That's usually what is most collections right? I can understand being upset at the lack of care they have put here, which seems to ultimately be most peoples main problem. Don't most game devs usually do collections because the games are already made? This seems like you are taking your anger out on the wrong thing.

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

No, you're not getting it. All that I'm talking about is a lack of care from SEGA regarding Origins, when the whole reason that the Retro Engine remakes were so revered is because of the endless of amounts of care that went into them in the first place. Origins didn't require much work (relatively speaking) to be incredible. But it's blatantly obvious that SEGA just didn't care even to even try. The games would have been better had SEGA just settled with direct ports of the mobile versions with a simple game select screen instead of bothering with all of their own interferences. The Origins shell drags the games down.

Game collections can be great. Origins isn't. It's still the best way to officially play the Classics in 2022 and I'll recommend it to most people. But it's just not very good as an ultimate collection. I'm not taking my anger out on the wrong thing.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
  15. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    So, changing subjects here a bit to something that could possibly be more optimistic...

Now that we know post-launch support 'will' be confirmed, what do people here think of the possibility that the game might actually get some proper patches and that they could decide to bring Stealth & Co. back for the final fixes and to prepare the collection for a wider physical release?

I realize given the state of release of this title how negative a lot of us feel about it...

But a physical re-release could lead to some sort of Mania-style DLC bonus that'd be either cheap/free for buyers (free 'with' fixes would get some good will back from a lot of people), and the physical release could still reach a wider audience that I 'do' think can still exist for this collection.

I know this seems like a long shot, but it wouldn't take much. Throw in some emulated bonus roms (Chaotix, Spinball, 3D Blast), give the digital players these bonuses for free along with the patches. Cut the price down to 20-30$ and bundle all the silly DLC to reach a wider audience.

I doubt the music will ever truly be fixed, but there'd be one last chance for this here. Remember, Mania had some free changes when Plus came out even without buying the DLC (transitions, the new metal sonic kai boss, ect ect)

I think there are still things that can be done with this collection to salvage it more for the long term beyond just patches.

16. RDNexus

RDNexus

I don't think they'll lower the prices all that much.
    After all, it's money and resources spent on boxes and cartridges.
    And, if worst comes to be, said DLCs and patches might need to be downloaded first time you start the game.
    It may even be a forced requisite to be capable of playing the game.

17. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I so hope they will do a Mania Plus style update and let Headcanon come back and make this game what it should have been.

Mania had some issues at launch including an issue on Switch where it crashed the system.
    Mania got free updates to fix the issues but also received a separate paid DLC.
    They could do the same with Origins: Release a free patch to fix the bugs, but then charge for an Origins Plus update that adds new features.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie

I think at most they are going to give Stealth a budget that allows him to fix the crushing issues and a few other bugs. I wouldn't hold my breath.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I wish they'd put Stealth in charge of fixing the glitches in all 4 titles. Maybe he could address some of the inconsistencies between the other games, like the roll locks in certain games, keeping score universal in Story Mode, and maybe reposition the HUD in the 1st 3 games to match S3K's/Mania's HUD placement (another missed opportunity, classic mode should have used the original HUD, Anniversary mode should have used a unified HUD)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Realistically, If a future dlc pack does include Roms of spinoff titles, I still wouldn’t get my hopes up for Chaotix

I seem to remember some of the PR for the Genesis Mini 2 saying that the team asked M2 about 32X emulation but M2 hasn’t quite cracked the addon yet, though the phrasing might have implied they are or were actively working on it
    (And tbh as far as that product goes I’m really just happy they have a MCD shell now)