don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    There's already a Sega Retro page for Guru Guru Cho (thanks Akane!). I have fixed the things.

2. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
  3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    If that's how it's listed in Gems Collection, we need to reflect that (although I'm also curious to see what it says in the Japanese version). I've brought over Sega Retro's footnotes mechanism, so if we find other cases like this, use that.

4. Pengi

Pengi

Some of the Japanese version's captions were different. They name the individual Sonic CD and Chaotix enemies, for example.

5. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    From memory, I think if you pop the PS2 version in a DVD-ROM drive you can browse all the text used in the game.
    I extracted the Japanese text back in the day. Here's what it says:
    No.293 「ソニックのスペースツアーズ」(1994年)
    So I think it's also Sonic Tours.

6. Pengi

Pengi

What does No.294 say? That's the one that was wrong in the English version.

(Actually the full Japanese text file would be great to have!)

7. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    Within the span of just a few months, Sega have gone from discreetly featuring the artwork from their "in-house newsletter"/Harmony on their socials in calendars and frames, to outright naming it and posting those pieces. And as an excuse to celebrate Marine Day.

Alongside the full editions from 1994 that have been scanned and analysed, as well said artwork featured in Origins, it is nice to see Harmony get much more exposure this year after a while of it being considered lost/forgotten/unobtainable by the fans and researchers.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

South Africa.

Sonic is here because obviously.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    As I know- exists a lot of random music discs from 90s, where are was art of Sonic on the cover.

10. Linkabel

Linkabel

Where is that Sonic art from though? It's similar to others from the time but the face looks different to me.

11. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Lol, it looks for me like NA Sonic, but with Japanese style face...
    Also, it's strange, some time earlier I was think, stuff like this was just pirated CD discs, with random character on cover (ofcource unlicensed), but why here is copyrights? I don't understand, why SEGA credit is here...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  12. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    The CD advertises 16 tracks plus 2 bonus tracks. Perhaps those are Sonic themed?

I believe that Sonic art is original? Looking into the CD, the artwork was made by someone named Andy Wood. I suspect Mr. Wood was given some Sonic art and remade it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2022
  13. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    No.294 「ぐるぐるっちょ」(1999年)

I was having trouble converting the files into a web-friendly format (or any format), so I just put the original files here.

On Mac OS, you can read them with Text Edit. Click File > Open > select the options button in the open menu and then select encoding to UTF-16.
    I'm not sure how to do it on Windows. I think you could use something like Notepad++ maybe?

Other finds in file show strings for an Xbox version of Gems.

14. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    [​IMG]

When I was a kid I got these figurines from a local game shop. Late 90s. I think they might be handmade? It was a slightly dodgy game shop which would charge for hard modding services.

15. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I live in the Uk and have those figures too. They were released as “Sonic & Knuckles collectibles” (blind bags that had those figures, plus Eggman, Tails, Knuckles and Sonic 1 badnicks). I got mine from the local newsagents.

Selected figures were released in (non-blind bag) sets. I think they also showed up in other places too.

• List
  16. Xilla

Xilla

Yeah they were available in 3 forms - The blind bags, a box set with 4 figures, and the example posted above which I believe was supposed to be exclusive to SegaWorld.

I only knew a single shop that had the blind bags and saved up for a few weeks to buy them all. Got to said papershop and some kid was walking out with the whole lot!

• List
  17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I remember those bags and I remember not being in a position to buy any. Really wanted the Knuckles figure to complement the Sonic and Tails I'd got from Christmas crackers previously.

• List
  18. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Thanks for the info guys. I always wondered where they came from!

19. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Doesn't sure, is this real, or fake, but looks like somebody find unused CNZ melody part....(?)

20. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    That's real if I'm not mistaken. There's some unused music sequence data in Sonic 3, and I know it applies to CNZ and Sky Sanctuary.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List