don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. I like my adorable hedgehog being cute.

2. I absolutely love Hesse's character designs, there's nothing I would change about them. His animations are pretty damn good too, but for some reason the cutscenes in Origins appear to have less frames per second than the ones from Mania and Mania Adventures... I haven't personally checked if this is indeed the case, but they definitely feel less fluid to me. Animation can be pretty expensive, so this might very well have been a deliberate cost-cutting measure.

I still think that the new animated cutscenes are some of the best highlights in this collection, though! Awesome work!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  3. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Classic Sonic is just a little cutie in 99% of the stuff he's in, I prefer it when media leans in on the cute aspect for him. That being said I do think Hesse's Sonic strikes a decent balance, he manages to be cool in some scenes but cute in others. It works well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    If there's a lower fps rate, it may be indicative of a time crunch to complete the animations.

I think Hesse's Sonic is fine, but not my preference. I never liked the anime-like happy expressions on Sonic starting with Mania, and continuing today. That's not reflective of how Sonic was when I grew up. When I looked at Sonic, even when he was smiling, he always looked annoyed or angry. That's probably due to the eyes. But that coinciding with tapping his foot and Sega pointing out his "attitude" pretty much cemented that image in my head. And although Sonic Adventure onward didn't portray Sonic as the annoyed smart ass that I once sensed, it wasn't completely foreign to the image either.

So the giddy smiles just don't fit. But otherwise, generally speaking, it's fine artwork. And the animation quality is quite good too.

5. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Quick question re: Sonic 3 & Knuckles - I've heard a few people mention a glitch in the Origins version which wipes out your Super Emeralds on entering Lava Reef Act 2. I've now collected all the Super Emeralds on my Story Mode playthrough and intend to play all the way up through The Doomsday to get the good ending in each game - however I'm worried I'll encounter this glitch and lose the opportunity to do so. I've heard some people saying they were able to recover their Emeralds by restarting, but I'm unclear on whether they mean restarting the stage from the pause menu or closing out the whole game and reloading from scratch. Does anyone know the correct method? I'm presuming you have to have not saved within the stage (i.e. hit a Star Post) after the glitch has activated to be able to recover your Emeralds - is this correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated - I've still got half of Flying Battery and all of Sandopolis to go before I have to worry; just double-checking in advance in case it happens when I get there...!

6. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

you sure you’re not misremembering about Regular Chaos Emeralds?

I could totally see a coding oversight where HPZ specifically yoinks the base chaos emeralds given the time crunch and how we already found that bug where resetting from a Super Ring puts you in HPZ proper (meaning the game can’t always quite tell which entrance you actually took), but I can’t imagine what would have to go wrong for the Super emeralds to get taken

7. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Definitely Super Emeralds - I've seen it mentioned a few places, but the easiest reference is that both Super Emeralds and Hyper Sonic are specifically mentioned if you search it on Twitter.

Happily, having done this it looks like there's actually a tweet which clarifies the issue a little - it sounds like quitting Story Mode and re-entering should fix the issue. No word on whether saving within the stage via Star Posts makes it permanent, but I'd err on the side of caution in that regard and assume that it does. The tweet in question also seems to suggest the Score reset at the same time - I'm not sure if this happens every time, but if it does, the Score zeroing out would be a nice clear indicator that you need to quit and restart in this instance without risking the change becoming permanent. Will keep an eye on that when I play through - the only person who's mentioned what platform they're playing on said it was the Steam version, so I have no idea whether this particular glitch will happen for me as I'm playing on Switch.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. I mentioned this happening to me somewhere in this thread on release day. I lost my Super Emeralds and Chaos Emeralds after hitting a big ring either in SPZ or LRZ and was unable to fix it. I’m pretty sure I backed out and re-entered but nothing changed. Not sure if I hit a checkpoint, but I imagine I must have.

Super (hah) annoying especially since it screwed up a 100% run through all 4 games as you don’t have enough chances for all 14 emeralds at that point in the game.

• List
  9. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Hesse's Sonic is my favourite contemporary take on the character. Don't really have any major complaints other than I think some of the exaggerated cartoon expressions can be OTT.

10. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

The glitch happened to me back in Marble Garden Zone long before I had super emeralds, my score reset to 0 and I could no longer super transform. Exiting and reentering worked.

• List
  11. RDNexus

RDNexus

Well, it seems someone already tried their luck at ripping the island models ^^"

And (I kinda feared it a little) now I understand why the camera is so limited.
    SEGA has done it again, the islands have no modeling behind, they're empty.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  12. Miles3298

Miles3298

I am among those that have had the Lava Reef 2 emerald-wiping bug happen. I lost my hyper ability and the big ring I found ended up being yellow instead of flashy. I'm not sure if this made any difference, but I didn't enter the big round I found, and I didn't hit any checkpoints yet, because I knew ahead of time about this bug. What I did do was just exit to the menu and then continue straight away and then they were returned to me. You don't have to close the entire game out.

If you want maximum safety, I guess you can just exit to the menu a bit after first starting LRZ 2 and then just continue again, because you won't really lose anything by doing so.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I was just watching the original Sonic CD ending and I just had a thought. Is the part of the video between Palmtree Panic and Collision Chaos a taste of what R2 could've been like? Given the concept art we got here showing they planned it to be a Marble Zone esq stage, and that segment involved collapsing floors in an otherwise unrecognizable environment for CD, could that be a rough take on what R2 mightve looked like? Some moss covered ruins with junk tech lying around and sandworm esq badniks?

Every other stage in the ending cutscene save for Tidal Tempest can be accounted for in there, and that 2nd environment is not Tidal Tempest

14. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    This has been known for a long time. In the original 2011 remaster thread- taxman post unused badnics sprites from this zone, where are was included that robot with claws, crawling out of the ground in this video

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ah, I'd of been shocked if no one else saw that but hey you never know lol.

16. Yeah, that’s the theory that’s been going around for a while. I’m surprised you never came across it on here. I think the mech that grabs Sonic was revealed by someone (Taxman maybe?) as being from R2 effectively confirming the theory.

Edit: Whoops. Left the page open for too long before I responded.

17. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I just completed Story Mode recently and luckily for me I have not had the bug happen to me so I didn’t lose any of my emeralds.. there’s definitely something that triggers the bug but as of this post we still don’t know what that is.

One of the playthrough videos I saw on YouTube saw the player fighting the Lava Reef Act 1 boss but his score was already maxed out at 9,999,999 so when Act 2 started, his score reset to zero so that’s when I knew.

I thought maxing out the score would cause it but then I saw someone had it occur in Marble Garden so I’m surprised there hasn’t been a cause found yet

18. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    Why can't this be an intentional design choice?

Instead of the line of thinking "they limited the camera movement because the islands don't have any details from behind" I think the more correct line of thinking is "they designed the islands without details from behind because they decided that they didn't want the camera to be able to 360 around them to begin with".

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  19. RDNexus

RDNexus

When I first saw how the camera worked, that's precisely what I thought, that they simply wanted it to work that way and designed the islands under that principle.
    Given how much land Never Lake has behind, a free camera system would show the limits of the overworld model, so it wasn't much feasible to begin with... ^^"

20. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

Right, my score was like only 1 million or so at that point. For me it happened immediately after the transition to Marble Garden Act 2.