don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    That's actually pretty damn cool, and something I never would have thought to try myself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    That was actually the first thing I did. :V

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Me too, but without thinking if it was possible before or not, I was just double checking because I didn't remember the layout.

Well, finished my CD run in a dissapointing way because savestate-ish shenanigans and what not, and no, you don't need to touch story mode to unlock everything: I beat the 4 games in random order and got all the video gallery the same. And the best part: I went to beat story mode after that because 0% on screen looks ugly and wanted to get bad endings for every game, and no, it doesn't affect story mode at all. The bad ending scenes on SCD's do appear, yet there isn't an option in the museum to watch both and I don't get why.

On that story mode I stopped at the beginning of S2, and, well, S1 and SCD are really short when you don't stop to get 50 rings or travel in time to break stuff. Never had such a short run through those.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  4. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    So, there's savestates in these?

5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    No.

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Has anyone tried seeing what happens if you beat any of the games in story mode without grabbing the Chaos Emeralds/Time Stones? I imagine everything just occurs as normally but it would be a jarring oversight.

7. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I'd imagine it just doesn't play the cutscenes with the emeralds in them? I dunno, I got all 34 macguffins myself.

8. I completed Sonic 1 without all the Chaos Emeralds and it still played the Sonic 1 outro where Sonic has all of the Chaos Emeralds and then it tells you that you need to try again to get all the Chaos Emeralds (or was it to tell you to try again then the outro? Sorry, been a week since I did this)...then Sonic CD's intro plays next.

9. I just did that for the first time the other day. Didn’t realize it was an addition, but I was surprised that I had never seen it so it makes sense.

Yeah, it’s weird that within Sonic CD there is still the visual mode menu to view it, but not in the museum. Does anyone know if the videos in visual mode are the new remasters?

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    They are the remastered videos, except for the pencil test which on the Switch anyway was the crustiest, hard to see thing ever.

11. It was the same on PS4. It almost wasn’t even worth having. I don’t remember ever watching it on the older version - was it the same?

12. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

The pencil test it seems was only ever mastered at Sega CD playback resolution; I cant remember ever seeing a version of it where it looked higher res than that

13. Malchik

Malchik

You know something, I'm going to be contradictory - I hate the new cutscenes. I can't stand that odd blend of early nineties chibby Sonic and modern Cal-arts style. I just can't stand it. I'd rather they put less effort into garbage like cutscenes and menus and focused totally on accurate recreation. It is like a movie studio putting little effort into mastering/restoring a film for HD but taking a liberal part of the budget into making stunning menus screens for the Blu-ray.

Also, I'm glad they finally made a new transfer of the Sonic CD sequences, though the film elements have seen better days. I wouldn't have expected a modern clean up of the film, so I can forgive the dirt on the transfer.

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong about a new transfer for the CD cutscenes, any info on this?

14. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I mean… they’re hiring different people to do different things. It’s like saying how Sonic 06 has such a great soundtrack, but they should have put that effort towards the programming. The game’s gotta have music, and those composers aren’t going to be very helpful at fixing bugs.

At most you could argue for reallocating the budget, but it feels like this game’s problem wasn’t budget, but time.

It is also a little different in that this is a collection rather than a brand new game, so no one has any reason to expect new cut scenes, but all the same I think it’s a bit of a distraction. Take away the cut scenes and you probably still have the exact same problems.

15. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I don’t really see how the cutscene designs channel that so-called “cal-arts style” at all. They’re kind of a slightly cuter version of the Toei style if I were to compare them to anything else. Maybe it’s the brighter colors and more smooth, flatter digital look that throws you off?

I can understand your position though. There’s a distinctly different feeling to modern Classic stuff than back in the early 90s, especially in the West. The cutscenes are also made by people who happen to be die hard fans, and when fans make official things it sometimes results in them feeling less, well… official, I guess? I personally really enjoyed the story scenes though and didn’t quite get that vibe from them, but it’s something I’ve sometimes felt with the comics so I can understand it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    The Sonic CD OP/ED are AI upscales with manual touchups, not scans of the film masters (which I presume are lost because... well... Toei animation always loses their masters from the 90s).

17. Harper

Harper

People have been reverse engineering the scripts for 1/2/CD in Origins and it's likely that they found the cause of the Tails AI bug. This thread on Twitter goes into detail about it, but to summarize: Whoever added the Drop Dash to Sonic 1/2 didn't realize that they used the same PlayerObject value as Tails's respawn timer, value43. This could've been avoided by using an unused value, value15.

• Informative Informative x 16
    • List
  18. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    I agree that the new Sonic animation isnt Cal Arts style at all, and thank God for that, I do agree that it's a bit too cute for Sonic. While the animation quality is pretty great dont get me wrong I feel that the modern style of Classic Sonic is way too cute. Compare it to Sonic CD animation and even the OVA and you will see the difference. In those animations Sonic wasnt cute, he was cool and had an edge. It seems that cool factor is lost in modern representations of Classic Sonic. At the end of the day Sonic is supposed to be Cool, not cute and I dont think with sensibilities of modern animators will bring that cool factor anytime soon.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  19. RikohZX

RikohZX

That Tails AI glitch with the Drop Dash is definitely a universal timer screwery if that's the case, even Classic Mode still gets the bug despite not even being able to use the DD. Also some testing with Classic and I think if you use the Origins blur fix mod at nearest neighbor, it's actually not triggering any pixel shimmer at 720p windowed, but Anniversary's screen scaling does? I need to test that more.

20. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Sonic is "supposed" to be both cool and cute. To quote one of the 1991 bibles: "Sonic must appear youthful, tough, and cocky - but also cute."

[​IMG]

Look at him! He's cool, he's cute, he's a determined little badass. It's in striking that balance between two things that seem to conflict that he found a lot of his appeal. When they did the redesigns for the Adventure games, they emphasized "cool" at the expense of "cute," which might be more or less appealing to you, but it was certainly a different appeal regardless. Since they brought Classic Sonic back in 2011, they tend to differentiate him from modern by going the other way, emphasizing his "cute" factors at the expense of his coolness.

But Tyson Hesse's designs tend to strike the right balance in my book. His modern is always cool AND cute, his classic is always cute AND cool, and the same holds true for his movie design.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • List