don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    There is a part of me that hopes Starline isn't dead. I'm curious to see what he would be capable of without having to rely on Eggman (and his tech) since it's finally clear to him that Eggman doesn't care about him at all and doesn't want to share the world. As mentioned, no body, no confirmation of his death. Also, the fact he doesn't turn around to see the debris fall on him kind of tells me he might've survived too. It is possible he was saved (but most likely badly injured) by the badniks he was controlling earlier. Although this is a comic aimed at a younger audience. If he is legit dead, then I think his story came to a good conclusion.

Could go either way, since this a comic and all. Pretty much up to SEGA, I'm guessing.

EDIT: Also, I get the feeling Surge and Kit won't be satisfied until they get their hands on Starline (and maybe learn about their origins?), which gives me another reason to think he might be still alive. Though it is possible they'll take what they can get in this situation.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  2. Unless Frontiers massively shakes up the status quo, I think IDW can safely ignore it by just doing a time skip between arcs. Acknowledged it happen without actually adapting it.

One of Archie's biggest problems is that the writers had to essentially put the story on hold because Sega demanded an adaptation of their latest game to advertise, effectively derailing it.

Sonic Adventure 2 basically got butchered and had to be adapted later on, and it was basically the abridged version. It also had to to awkwardly introduce Shadow and Rouge into the series with little fanfare involved.

3. [​IMG]

So uh, yeah, Dr. Starline is definitely dead. RIP.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Dude, spoilers. Comic ain’t even been out a week.

Mod edit: Fixed :V
    To the anonymous mod who edited my post: Well bugger me, I don't even remember quoting in the first place, now I look like a right mook. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  5. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    So going back to the game adaptation issue, I have to ponder: what if they just have the cast involved with the game leave for a story arc or two, and then return after?

Like, say Sonic heads off to investigate whatever Robotnik's up to with Amy in tow while, say, Cream encounters and helps Whisper for a few issues as Sonic Frontiers occurs elsewhere, or Rouge breaks into a base with E-123 Omega to look into something. Perhaps pull an Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and have the events of the game echo into the comic, where aforementioned Rouge break in sees her find some weird virus (implied to be SAGE) and they have to prevent it expanding outside the Starfall Islands, but otherwise the comic does it's own thing?

Just a thought I had regarding the topic.

6. Kyro

Kyro

7. That depends on how much in the know the comic writers are with the game development. They would have to plan ahead to write those characters out accordingly.

8. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I think Ian Flynn might have a guy inside...

9. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Who's the big boi at the back of the first page? He seems vaguely familiar but I can't put my finger on it. Also, odd to see how the badnik designs are a mix of Colours/Generations and Lost World styles, despite the likes of Stingers and Caterkillers having both.

10. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    It's and E-2000 from Sonic Heroes.

Man Ian Flynn likes concepts from that game.

11. Pengi

Pengi

Assuming that the script specified which Badniks should be in the crowd.

12. Kyro

Kyro

Actually, have caterkillers ever appeared in a 3d game outside of lost world? I was trying to think what other design they could have drawn off of but I dont remember anything else surprisingly

13. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    We do at least have Caterkiller adjacent badniks that would inform their design in such games, like the Sandworms from Colours and Generations.

14. Kyro

Kyro

Oh yeah you're absolutely right, i especially forgot about those robots in planet wisp, yeah that checks out.

Still, very interesting

15. Pengi

Pengi

16. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/s...-mecha-knuckles-in-scrapnik-island-exclusive/

Woah, looks like we're getting some goodies through the second half of this year. A 30th anniversary book focused on Tails which will bring back Witchcart(!) and a horroresque miniseries that will give us the return of Mecha Knuckles(!) - I imagine the "Wendy Witchcart" name has been scrubbed due to that originating in Archie, and of course her appearance will be far less trollish this time. It'll certainly be interesting to see a second reinvention of such an obscure and seldom used character.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Knuckles is back baby.

18. Kyro

Kyro

Mecha knuckles is cool, love to see more of the various robot designs throughout the series. Im incredibly curious about the tails comic, but scrapnik island just sounds like a lot of fun!

19. _Sidle

_Sidle

Excited for both!

re: Scrapnik Island... Mecha Knuckles looks like he's gotten a minor redesign since Advance 1. This new look has a scar on his muzzle, and what looks like shovel claws instead of regular boxing gloves. (Oh, and he's donning the OVA Knuckles hat, lmao.) Very curious what kind of personality/mannerisms he gets, since this robot has never reappeared in anything else iirc. Lawrence and Fourdraine on art is gonna be a fun combo, can't wait to see how they handle a creepy junkyard aesthetic. This will also be first full story written by Barnes after Annual 2022.
    upload_2022-7-19_15-4-52.png upload_2022-7-19_15-19-22.png
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

re: Tails 30th... Flynn gets to reinvent Witchcart and her goons a second time? Betting they'll be somewhat similar to their depictions in post-Reboot Archie. On the art team, Hammerstrom and Graham were also major contributors on Seasons of Chaos, always a treat getting to see more of that style~

20. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    So I just started reading this (sorta- been watching the surprisingly well done Adrenaline Dubs on YouTube) and it's my first time getting into the comics. I like it well enough! The characters are mostly handled well and although the banter seems a bit too "Marvel-y" for my liking it doesn't bother me enough to make me drop it or anything. I'm on Issue #26 now - can't say I'm feeling this Metal Virus arc at all. Just way too self-serious and the pacing feels weird. Does the story improve significantly after this or not really? Curious how y'all are feeling about it now that the comic has been around for a good few years now.