don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

Interesting work, though not a fan of the plan to try to rearrange FBZ in the level order - that really only makes sense if you're doing a mod for Sonic 3K.

2. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Just remembered: has anyone made a thorough translation of the museum material? I'm most interested in the shield concepts, which someone translated the names of like 40 pages ago, but I wanted to know every word on those papers in case they're useful for fan projects because I already found some of them surprising.

3. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

I started a topic here, which has some translations provided.

https://forums.sonicretro.org/index...t-art-research-thread-with-hq-pictures.41094/

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I admit given the number of animations they made for this game, I'm surprised they didn't use the opportunity to give Tails his own cutscenes in CD at last.

Heck it would have been a more feasable excuse for Knuckles being missing.

5. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

I think it can still make sense in S3A IMO

if anything, Sonic 3 and Knuckles is so long that, in the release order, it obscures the connection that the Flying Battery was supposed to be the same airship that bombed Angel Island.

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Well, I've beaten story mode and all the missions and completed the museum. I've only beaten Sonic 1's boss rush and I haven't done any non-story mode playthroughs. To keep it brief, I do think this is the best Sonic collection to date even if there are flaws ranging from negligible to baffling. Sonic 1 and Sonic CD were technically solid (albeit CD's music has volume issues and the changes made to the ending cutscene are regrettable), Sonic 2 was fine aside from the Tails jump glitch and Carnival Night forced me to bring up task manager at least twice and even caused me to have to hard shutdown my laptop once. The Eggman graphical oddity in the transition cutscene between LBZ and MHZ is jarring but otherwise the game was fine, everything in these games was more or less as I expected it to be minus those gripes. I should, however, mention that I have a mod installed to replace the soundtracks with higher quality versions, so that should speak to my feelings on the sound present in the base game.

Story mode's animations are nice. A wee bit spotty in some places (such as Tails look a little odd when he realises he's flying in the Sonic 2 intro), but otherwise they're a really nice bow on top of story mode, with great music to boot. Mission mode, however, is where things truly get creative. The folks at SEGA clearly had a lot of fun mixing and matching all these different elements and finding new ways to push the player. The final Sonic 3 & Knuckles mission (Tails' Balloon Burst) was equal parts frustrating to fail but extremely satisfying when you begin to get the hang of things, leading to an immensely gratifying finish, which is true for many of the harder missions. My main complaint with the mode is the grey boxes littered about everywhere. I know to some it may seem inconsequential but to be frank the artwork is naff and they break the theming of the level. Moreover, the choice to use them is just confusing when these layouts are already so heavily modified to the point where I was surprised they even bothered to list exactly which act each mission supposedly takes place in. Surely the devs could've put in just a bit more work to use the respective level tiles instead? It ends up being a blemish on a very strong part of the game.

Boss rush, as far as I've played it, is not fun. The presentation is lacking and each attempt should really start out by giving you some rings, rather than having to get 3 boss fights in first. The way things are now, it's just frustrating and I have no plans on doing anymore with it past the first run of each game. If only they had been realised in an Egg Gauntlet style, with the bosses being in one, continuous level. Museum content is fine. Other than being very appreciative of the fact that we can now watch Mania Adventures uncompressed, I don't really have anything to say about it. I do, however, wish notifications and the navigation for unlocking premium content were bother quicker and more convenient. Also, the presentation of the in-game menus for Sonic 1 and 2 could really use a revamp to a Sonic 3 style.

All in all, I'd say Origins really doesn't fall short by much. Sure, the places it does fall short in stick out like a sore thumb, but the gaffes aren't all that big in the grand scheme of things. I really hope SEGA puts in the time and effort to fix these issues because this really isn't far off being basically perfect for what it sets out to do. Hopefully, sometime in the next year, there is a Plus version with a physical release that puts Knuckles in CD and makes Amy playable in all titles (drawing on more fan talent to make such a thing possible), with a new set of missions for each and maybe even the addition of expanded 2 Competition Zones for single player S3&K, per the original TaxStealth pitch.

7. Harper

Harper

15 unused cheat codes have been found in 3&K's code. Most of them are dates, some are random. I'm guessing the dates for Sonic 1, 2, CD, and Mania would've been for the unused sprite and sound swapping feature.
    Source

Edit: I should probably include the actual codes here just in-case this tweet ever gets deleted.
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    I believe I used the Sonic 1 code in Sonic 2 and got a sound effect confirmation (I believe it was the continue sound?), yet nothing changed in game, so I guess it may have been on the table for all games?

9. Harper

Harper

I'm testing this on Switch and PS5 and I'm getting no confirmation sound.

10. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Interesting! I know what all the other dates are, but not "1999/03/06" or "2001/10/13."

11. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Hmmm I think the 1999 one may be Mr. Potatobager’s birthday, one of the folks who worked on S3&K remastered. My memory is very foggy, but I think I recall learning in a long ago Skype or Discord chat with him that he’s a little younger than me, and I’m a ‘98 baby, so go figure.

12. corneliab

corneliab

Dummied out codes? And one of them was probably a Super music toggle? This collection sure knows how to keep bumming me out.

13. _Sidle

_Sidle

Tried organizing them a smidge, but some of these have stumped me.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Harper

Harper

19930923 is also Sonic CD's release date as well. Considering the Peel-Out is in the game's code sprites and all, it might be related to this.

15. _Sidle

_Sidle

Had Spinball and CD's dates mixed up, forgot they were both 1993, CD's is actually what Sep 23 is. Fixed!

16. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Eh, you only kind of had them mixed up. Sep. 23rd was CD's Japanese release date, but Spinball, CD, and Chaos all came out on the same day in NA. (Weird how they were teasing Mania 24 years early!)

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  17. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    The way to do both would be to get six of them, then destroy the rest of the generators/Metal Sonic projectors, then get the seventh in Act 2 of Metallic Madness after destroying the last one.

18. jbr

jbr

Slight tangent, but now that a remastered S3K has been made, do we think there's a chance of getting a mobile release? And what about Mania, for that matter?

19. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Well considering the fact that 1,2, and CD weren’t delisted from mobile, I would love for Sonic 3 to finally get that official mobile treatment.. as long as Headcannon are allowed to polish it up with whatever bugs need fixing and even add extra features like original zone order and playing the games separately, I say we would be in for a treat.

This is easy money for SEGA, and if it does get the green light, do not rush the developers!

20. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    I believe Sonic Mania really isn't suited for mobile devices. Besides the fact it's a 2017 game (remember, the mobile ports we have all come from the early 90's), releasing Sonic Mania on mobile is probably not lucrative enough. The time and resources it would take to effectively run Sonic Mania on mobile for what? A few bucks?