don't click here

Hack [WIP] S3K multilanguage

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Nik Pi, Jun 25, 2022.

1. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    That means "I have a chaos emerald". "Sonic a une émeraude du chaos" would be better.

Obtenir is infinitive. "Obtenez des sphères bleues" might make more sense as an instruction.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Rrose80149

Rrose80149

Oh, Thanks for reminding me that.

3. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    sonic3k_001.png

4. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    OMG, XDDD.

Definitely, I would use character name translations only on funny screnshots like that, and leave the actual game with those names untouched. Besides that, better do something to separate the "y" from "NUDILLOS", that doesn't get the free pass the "&" has, and now I need a version of that screenshot that uses "el puercoespín" instead. XDDD

5. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    So... I should make it "Sonic 3 & Knuckles" again?
    P.S.: It's actual game screenshot. Not mockup :)

6. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

I believe so, all things considered. I know it isn't a mockup, just saying the translated names are better for a funny screenshot, because that's cringey as hell in-game (plus what I told you about Knux's name in the translation notes).

7. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Ok.
    AAH, I spend 2 hours to make it!

8. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Sorry! :ohdear:

9. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Don't worry. We need to have a better translations. Would be bad, if I had no feedback, and i made all incorrectly ;)

10. sonic 3 i knuckles?
    i can do a polish version

mockups:
    upload_2022-7-1_20-37-20.png

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  11. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Yes. It should be based on skdisasm github version. Commented version of title card mappings I posted earlier.
    Or you can make translations of words and give it to me, like everyone.
    What do you want to make exactly?

12. i ONLY have the github disassembly lol
    i'm looking to translate the zone names, the title screen, save screen and competition menu, level select screen, etc. i can also add some changes to the disasm, but work on the translation will officially begin tommorow (it's half to 9 PM rn in szczecin)

13. Angel X

Angel X

Italy
    Here is my Italian translation!
    I used Xiao's file, in fact you can see some notes you have seen before (Italian and Spanish are similar).
    I have not translated the character names and the zone names are taken from the wiki and adapted.
    There are two characters to add, and they are:
    NOW CAN TRANSFORM INTO SUPER / HYPER -> ORA PUO' TRASFORMARSI IN SUPER/HYPER
    GOT THROUGH ACT -> ATTRAVERSA L'ATTO

If any Italian member has any suggestion please tell me, so as to improve the translation!
    One last thing, in the original file you forgot to put Flying Battery Zone, so I updated it:thumbsup:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I'm not going to check the whole list because I'm not interested into this project, but I'll comment on this one thing since you explicitly mentioned it, and yet you did it wrong:
    It's actually PUÒ with an accent, not PUO' with an apostrophe. The fact that the Italian keyboard layout lacks easy combinations to type accented capital letters isn't an excuse, especially if you're offering a translation which should be meant to be precise.

Also hi, I'm always surprised when I see more Italians around here.

15. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

I didn't even notice. here's the line:
    FLYING BATTERY -> BATERÍA VOLANTE
    (I think it was like this in the manual, but I'm making my own translation).

16. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Good. But how well do you understand programming? If it's okay, then I may need your help. And will you be able to give me your source code one day? (For implementation in the overall project)
    Also, if anybody wants to redrawn title screen- here you go:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/1r7uw

17. i'm not good at implementing new menus and such, but i am ok at coding in 68k asm, and i can do simple stuff and alterations, so i'd say it's ok
    yeah, no problem, i can also give a built rom in polish when i finish (so far i've only done the header text)

edit: there's a problem: i cannot for the life of me figure out how to edit the title cards, even when using the commented disasm, i might have to avoid editing those

edit 2:
    modified the s3k level select:
    upload_2022-7-2_9-44-6.png
    there's a significant lack of polish symbols. this may (or may not) be resolved later
    i kept "death egg" the same, and i translated the doomsday as "sąd ostateczny" (final court or smth)
    mushroom hill is kraina grzybów, like the name of the polish webseries and i thought it fit
    i translated sky sanctuary as niebne sanktuarium, but i couldn't fit sanktuarium so i shortened it to sankt.
    piaskopolis is a combination of piasek (sand) and polis (greek for city)
    hydrocity is miasto podwodne (podwodne miasto, underwater city)
    i also got a lil creative and translated flying battery as latający statek (flying ship) because 'bateria' didn't fit in the space and just looked weird
    ik, i figured THAT out whilst trying to modify the level select in S3K, THEN finding out that apparently it was in S3K.asm
    how did you do this

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  18. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Ok. As basis- we can restore S2 menu. It still in S3A code
    Excellent :)
    sonic3k_003.png
    sonic3k_004.png

P.S.: Can anybody rip new sonic origins barrel sprites and new origins S3 level select icons?

19. Rrose80149

Rrose80149

Very nice. I suggest moving the mappings, so it matches perfectly like the others.

20. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Look:
    You had a mappings, and you had a 2 graphics files: general/sprites/title card number 1 (or 2... anyway) and levels/AIZ/KonsinkiM art/title card. Understand? Next, we had a letters: E, N, O, Z from title card 1(2) and letters A,G,L,I,S,D from title card of angel island. Letters ENOZ should be universal for ALL words, because this file use for every title card. You need to redrawn some letters from main tile graphics file. If not enough etters- you can take a another title card graphics file with more letters, like launch base zone, or Mushroom valley. After redrawing- just remade mappings and it's over!

Excuse me. I just don't know how to explain it properly :/

Here is fixed KTE mappings. Now- he don't move a 1 pixel right, when he look up ;)

Attached Files: