don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Retro's own David the Lurker reviewed Origins with us in this podcast episode:

2. RikohZX

RikohZX

I get the itch this will get stability patches at best and they'll ignore how they broke so much.

3. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Yeah, this. This is probably one of the more gnarly parts of Origins as it’s an instance where the games are worse than the mobile versions.

I just don’t understand why they didn’t use a Sonic 3 style save system for everything. Not only is it better, but then it would have made the package more consistent (as its bizarre that all the games use one system and Sonic 3 uses another one).

I’m hoping they will fix this in a patch, but I’m probably setting myself up for disappointment.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  4. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    I mean, I've played the game recently, I've beat Sonic 1 with Knuckles and half of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, yet I haven't encountered any problems*. Switch version.
    Am I lucky or something?

I mean other than the weird sounding OST of Sonic 3.

5. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Just finished 100%-ing Mission Mode and I have to say, "Extreme! Sonic's Spin Dash Attack!" is my favorite mission in the game and I wish there were more like that. Weirdly, it doesn't specify that killing enemies while in roll lock counts as a "spindash kill", so it took a few minutes for me to figure out why some enemies counted toward the total and others didn't. But if you're going for an S-rank I feel like that mission really wants you to take advantage of Sonic's mechanics and exploit the level geometry, and that's really neat and fun and something I would love to see more of. I'd honestly really love a "Sonic challenge pack" or something that tasks you with doing cool stuff like that or using your intuition to complete different platforming challenges. In general though, the missions had some moments of brilliance that I really enjoyed, and the difficulty scaling isn't half bad.

I'm curious, what are everyone else's thoughts on Mission Mode?

6. VenomTH

VenomTH

With the game having been out for a week, is there any chance that it will arrive on Game Pass or PlayStation Plus any time in the future? I'm not sure if I see SEGA signing a contract to a subscription service.

7. Harper

Harper

SEGA has had a ton of Sonic games on Game Pass and PS+ before. I'm sure a year or two down the line they'll add Origins to those services.

8. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Forces, Mania and TSR were all PS Plus games, I'm pretty sure. In fact I believe Forces is the second most downloaded PS Plus game behind one of the Modern Warfare games.

9. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    You mean, like Sonic VR and Sonic 3 & Knuckles: the Challenges?

10. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    Has anyone else noticed depending where you are in S3&K effects the island on the menu screen? When the death egg drops after LBZ if you back out to the island menu the death egg has also dropped.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  11. VenomTH

VenomTH

As far as Game Pass, I believe only some of the Backbone games were made available during the launch period and later removed. Mania and Forces were available during free weekends but were never offered on Game Pass. Mania, Forces, and Team Sonic Racing were offered as free monthly games on PlayStation Plus and they were also available on PlayStation Now but were removed before the rebranding.

I knew that they were given away as monthly games on PlayStation Plus and that they were available on PlayStation Now during last year's Sonic Central but I'm actually surprised to learn that Mania was downloaded so much. I believe Mania was also given away for free on the Epic Games Store and other SEGA IPs were on Game Pass but I can't recall any other examples off the top of my head. It seems like SEGA is fairly impartial when it to subscription services, I guess we'll see a few years in the future.

12. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

You didn't play Sonic + Tails in Sonic 2 yet. Tails is broken worse than the Genesis version.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Harper

Harper

I went back the mobile versions to make sure I wasn't going crazy and Tails's AI works just fine there. Somehow, Tails's AI broke during the integration into Origins.

14. _Sidle

_Sidle

Has anyone managed to look inside S1 + S2's RSDKs and figure out what the deal with Tails getting stuck is yet? My working theory is the changes needed to add split-screen 2P VS when it didn't exist in 2013* are applied to both V4 games (for some reason), and something about those changes isn't gelling with 1P respawning.

*2P VS existed in S2-2013 but wasn't split-screen.

15. Harper

Harper

Sonic 2 not having a normally accessible Super Tails is weird especially when Sonic 1 and 3 have it.

16. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

I suppose the theory was to pay homage to the classic "Super Tails" glitch from Genesis Sonic 2, but I agree.

17. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    For those who haven't seen, steam reviews are mixed overall, but recent ones are almost universally negative now.

The tide has turned against the collection, and surprisingly, few of them talk about Denuvo. All talk about the game being a buggy, rushed, crunched, expensive mess. I left one myself too.

Again, hopefully this pressures SEGA to change something, as this could be at least partially fixed with a little effort. I've seen many games recover from much worse. A lot of people want to like this and are making it clear Stealth/Retro Engine/Headcannon aren't to blame, but rather SEGA themselves messed up what should've been a slam dunk. Not many of the reviews mention the music either, so this is almost entirely about the bugs/gameplay.

Like it or not, leaving this an unpatched mess will absolutely hurt this game's sales now, which is not good for the brand as a whole. Will that pressure SEGA to fix some of these issues? I don't know anymore, frankly.

Edit: Also, modders are already dropping their "overhaul" attempts, partially because no one is doing script mods yet. Not sure if Denuvo is to blame for that or what, but it's a bit premature when SEGA could still do the patches themselves.

https://gamebanana.com/mods/386116

Sadly, it looks like even the fans might take a long time to fix this properly. And if Denuvo is blocking them, maybe this collection will never be fixable, in which case... ouch. SEGA just killed off the legally most modabble versions of CD&3K and replaced it with ones that can't really be fixed yet? Hopefully, this isn't true and they either fix it themselves, or the fans find a way later.

18. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Got another one of these today.

EDIT:
    On the topic of whether or not people like Chemical Plant, SEGA posted a video with fan picks for most popular Classic Zones. Not sure if it'll get posted to YouTube or not, but you can find it on SEGA's Facebook page. The votes apparently say these are the crowd faves:
    Sonic 1: Starlight Zone
    Sonic CD: Stardust Speedway
    Sonic 2: Chemical Plant Zone
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Ice Cap Zone

I can get on board with most of these, though I've always been a huge fan of Flying Battery so that'd probably be my pick for S3K.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think pretty much every Sonic game as of late drops Denuvo a certain amount of time after the game's launch, hopefully the same applies here.

20. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    You can't really gauge user reviews as an accurate measurement of the public's reaction since they're really easy to manipulate. (See: The Last of Us Part II, basically any modern Star Wars movie/TV show, etc.)