don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Kyro

Kyro

I had the impression they were referring to previews, since most previews seem to be saying they really enjoy the cyberspace levels, some even calling them the highlight of the game.

I think we should be taking previews from folks who arent big sonic fans with some pinches salt, as they are probably just happy to be boosting in more linear stages and do good ol' homing attack chains. We could be totally wrong and the levels could be a proper step back towards gens level design but we wont know for sure until we see more.

Personally, as long as there are a few different paths with a good flow to the stages, I think they should be fine. I honestly didn't hate modern sonics stages in forces, I just thought they were mostly too short

2. Ohtani doesn't do much Rock/Metal song as Jun Senoue, but when he does, it goes hard.

And I really liked that city level, not so sure if it's a original or a old level, but still looks awesome.

SEGA needs to release an trailer already...

3. Frostav

Frostav

Me too, though in my case, I have more problems with the cyberspace angle being used to make the levels completely incoherent messes of level design with no thought into making them a cohesive world. Compare Empire City to the highway one in the direct and the difference is obvious. The Frontiers level is just a mess of highways everywhere--it's surreal, but not in the way I personally would want.

4. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Keep in mind that professional gaming outlets openly praised the gameplay and level design in Forces. They don't value all the variety and routes Generations's levels had, like we do. They don't see "wide, empty corridors", they see "exhilarating speed with spectacular visuals". Here's Game Informer's review of Forces's Modern stages, for instance:

5. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    That's just the same clip from the game...? I don't get it

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I was actually referring to people on this board rather than the previews. I've learned to read passed critics opinions about Sonic games because so often they praise the shit that I hate and throw a wobbly the moment Sonic dips below the sound barrier. Critics saying that they like the cyberspace levels for being like Generations is a red flag for me. I don't think that Generations is all that for starters, and they said the same thing about Forces which is just so much worse.

People on here on saying positive things based on what little we've seen and heard so far, but it's just setting alarm bells for me and I'm surprised that it's not doing the same for others. Of course, if you liked Colours and Forces (and the other boost games) then I can see why you like this. They're similar. But if you weren't so hot on this games, I don't know sky this is any different.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  7. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Some stuff:
    • One of the impressions mentions that the demo began with SAGE telling Sonic that he had escaped cyberspace. This suggests to me that Cyber-Green Hill is probably the first stage.
    • SAGE herself is...weird. She evokes a lot of Infinite's design hallmarks. I'm not sure what to think of her.
    • Hey, some music with pumping intensity, and none of Forces' annoying synth (as far as I can hear). Show me more, SEGA
    • SPIN DASH into a new zone? You fucking teases, we all know that's not in the game
    • According to one of the previews, the slide is, though. It's not really surprising, but we hadn't actually seen it before, and even in Forces you can roll down slopes with it. Hooray?
    • The highway level looks neat. I'm glad that the first one we saw officially wasn't a reused one.
    • That said, Green Hill looks...pretty cool. The cyber aesthetic does work to alleviate some of the tired tropes.
    • One of the previews mentions a "futuristic zone" different from the two we've seen
    • Another mentions a 2D stage. Which...gives me some good feelings, and some bad ones. It seems like there's more 3D than 2D, and my only thought is that the total segregation of these styles between stages will essentially require the stages to have more interesting design than just hallways. Even Forces had Mortar Canyon.
    • The switch version...hoo boy, LOOK at it. If you thought the graphical pop-in couldn't be worse than the first reveal footage, welcome to the next fucking level.
    So I'm overall still pretty optimistic.

8. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

This leak seems credible, people might become very optimistic about this game if it's true.
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  9. RDNexus

RDNexus

If that leak is proven true, then it's good old SA1/2 storytelling with a pinch of nowadays plot structure.

I'll still take it with a grain of salt, given SEGA's latest endeavors...

10. Wildcat

Wildcat

Cyberspace levels look really cool. I can’t tell if they’re reused assets or not but I don’t care.

I only have a Switch as a current console. It looks great to me. Some really close up textures look a bit blurred I guess. I know the Switch is the least powerful of the 3 major consoles but I’m sure it can handle it since it could run Breath of the Wild. I’d have to see a comparison to tell if it’s a huge difference.

I’m not against them. I have other PlayStations and Xboxes I just haven’t gotten the new ones.

11. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    People keep posting that leak and I'm not sure what specifically is supposed to make it credible. It got that SAGE and the AI ghost are one and the same, and that the "sexy ghost girl" leaks were full of shit, but I feel like both of those things could be good educated guesses. All this trailer has really done is confirm that any leak who says pink hair lady is the AI was bullshit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    If that leak is true, then I just got spoiled on a massive plot twist.

13. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I dunno what IGN paid for their "exclusive" Sonic Frontiers coverage, but they deserve a refund and a consolatory pizza party.

Anyway, aside from Green Hill Zone Act 13, Frontiers continues to look interesting. It'd be pretty bonkers if Frontiers turns out good after Origins came out a mixed bag.

14. MH MD

MH MD

the "chibi anime girl design" and "she fights with a titan" are on point

15. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    Sonic Colors vs Sonic 4: The Seconding :V

16. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    I know, that's what I'm saying. You coulda guessed both those things back in may.

17. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Frankly that seems too good to be true, especially the chao garden bit is what gets me.

18. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    You know, I think Sega purposefully tried to undersell the game in marketing. It feels to me as if they wanted to keep expectations low on purpose so they could impress people with the final product. The execution of it is completely terrible and it's kinda backfired on them, but to an extent, it's kinda having the effect they wanted. Now that we're finally seeing more and more, we're getting more and more hyped.

We're not being presented with a grand bombastic and beautiful game with promises of being the best thing ever and then having our expectations dashed when the game comes out. Instead, they're being conservative in what they're showing us and building up hype slowly and in a controlled manner. It's had the unfortunate implication that they don't trust the game and what little they've shown us hasn't exactly created good press until very recently.

Izuka and the team seem very excited about the game though and it seems like the former is kinda pushing against this marketing strategy just a little bit because he believes in the game more than Sega Sammy seems to.

19. VenomTH

VenomTH

I'm worried about the level design as well. I was hoping for a subtle Cyberspace effect where perhaps the world appears completely normal but only occasionally flashes or enemies disintegrate into particles but instead the entire levels are hallways surrounded by a void of empty space. There don't appear to be skyboxes showing parts of the level or many non-playable areas. But there were only 10 seconds of two stages shown at most.

20. Patrolman

Patrolman

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List