don't click here

Hack [WIP] S3K multilanguage

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Nik Pi, Jun 25, 2022.

1. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    I think, it can works, If I study the mappings enough.
    Actually, this is a good idea. It really can works. it will be based on the same source anyway, and it won't be difficult to unite all later.
    I post here a commented mappings for title cards. It can help some peoples, who want to do a translation. Or for another hacking.

P.S.: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10tKgYjKxlP2IonycItkUWSbDjgm_9QO4/view?usp=sharing my incomplete translation. As you see- game translated halfly, and some title cards are broken.. anyway, its beta :)
    P.P.S.: Who knows, how to extract HUD mappings from S3 alone ROM? Don't ask me why, just tell me, please.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  2. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Ok, but I forgot to highlight something: Jardín Mármol.
    You'll have to draw additional characters or at least append that above the existing ones. French will have even more of those.

3. Angel X

Angel X

Italy
  4. Dulappy

Dulappy

koronesuki Member
    Greece
    sonic
    I guess something like that could work for Greek too. S3 zone names could look something like:

Ζώνη Νησιού των Αγγέλων
    Ζώνη Υδροπόλης/Υδροπόλεως (if written in caps, the first writing could cause the same problem as the name "Hydrocity" in English in terms of pronunciation)
    Ζώνη Μαρμάρινου Κήπου
    Ζώνη Νύχτας Καρναβαλιού
    Ζώνη Παγοκαλύμματος
    Ζώνη Βάσης Εκτόξευσης

But again, there's that same issue as with a bunch of other languages where there are accent marks. I think the best way to solve this issue with any language would be to load the marks separately to save ROM space; for example Greek would require an extra 11 characters if we were to include the full characters, as opposed to just 3 if the accent marks are included separately.

Then again, Greek would only really need one accent mark (¨) when the zone names are written in caps, so this problem can be mostly avoided, especially since only two extra characters (Ϊ, Ϋ) would be needed, and they'd most likely go unused anyway.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Oh... it's difficult..
    I want it, but game had a limitations. I write about it earlier. I can remake levelselect, but title cards i can't redone. It has too much different letters... sorry... I'll try to make it, but don't expect too much :(

Another languages I find in wiki:
    Screenshot_20220629-084926_Chrome.jpg
    It looks not hard. It's possible. I'll try to make a level select on French and Deutsche.

6. neonsynth

neonsynth

Previously 'SonicVaan' Member
    Germany, Stammbach
    gaming and music production
    Honestly I'd keep the names as-is... almost. In German it would be "Sonic der Igel", "Knuckles der Ameisenigel".. as for Tails.. I'd keep it as it is.

7. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    You talk about characters only, or about zones too?
    Anyway, Knuckles will be K-D-A :)
    I tryed to translate zones names in level select, and...
    sonic3k_000.png
    It's a Deutsche
    sonic3k_002.png
    And it's a French...
    As you see- first is looks not bad, but second...
    i think, if i enough learn the code- i can move some names a bit left, for getting best results ^_^
    Also, in you'r languages one letter can use for another?
    In russian- you had a "Е" and "Ё", it sounds different, but you can use "Е" for "Ё", you can use a number "4" for the letter "Ч", number "3" as letter "З" (c'mon, you don't understand where are is a letter, and where are is number, yes? ;) )

P.S.:
    KJ.png

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  8. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Oh wow, that screenshot of the wiki makes me think that they used the wrong meaning of "Carnival" for the international translations. According to Wiktionary, they used meaning 1 (e.g. "festival"), but I always assumed it was meant to be the third one (e.g. "funfair"). On a related note, I never knew that they translated the zone names.

9. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    I think he means the 1st meaning.
    Translations getted from PAL manual.
    Also, where are I can get a S3C protos credits music with all zones medley? As I know, we hasn't S3C disasms, so... I need to start researching with HEX editor? Or we had a easy way?

10. Rrose80149

Rrose80149

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  11. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Thank you for following the project and pinning your hopes on it. This is very important to me! Yes. Having proto tracks as an additional option would be really cool.
    At this moment i had a lot of work: I need redrawn some graphics in different languages, put it in game, and сome up with a way by which you could switch them between each other.
    Also i had a some ideas for another functions, like smooth sprites and fixing super sonic frame bug.
    I hope that there will be even more people who will help me with the code.

12. Rrose80149

Rrose80149

In case you didn't know, It's the Carnival Night, Ice Cap, Launch Base, the S3 credits, the competition menu, and the unused (super) themes.

13. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Um.. i know. But i really don't know where are i can get it. I don't know how to extract music using HEX, lol.
    @Rrose80149, YOU can help me with translation. You just need to translate word list (I post it at previous page), and give it me. I'll put translation in game. I don't know French, and if I'll translate words alone- I'll use Online-translator, and some words will translate wrong.
    Thanks for attention

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  14. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Sorry, I haven't seen that. I'm I blind or you mean Hivebrain's Sonic 1 list?

15. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan

@Xiao Hayes, Under this post- .txt file :)

16. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Here you go. I included some notes to explain my train of thoughts and choices you have. I can already tell you there's no good choice for Knuckles' name in the HUD.

Attached Files:

17. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Thank you very much ^_^
    I think, to end of the next week, I'll make a demos for Deutsche, French and Spanish.

18. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

I don't like much how I translated "Match Race", so I'll try to give you a better translation if I find it. Special and Bonus Stages are alright, but I think I can find a better term for "stage" than the one I chose, so I might change that one too.

19. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Ok. Thank you for your efforts

20. Rrose80149

Rrose80149

Got A Chaos Emerald translates to J'ai une Emeraude du Chaos, Got All Chaos Emeralds to J'ai obtenu toutes les émeraudes du Chaos, Now can be Super/Hyper to Peut maintenant être Super/Hyper, Can Go to Hidden Palace to Peut aller au Palais caché, Time/Game Over to Temps/jeu terminé, Got Through to Je suis passé à travers, Act to Acte, Azure Lake to Lac d'Azure, Balloon Park to Parc à ballons, Chrome Gadget to Gadget Chrome, Desert Palace to Palais du désert, Endless Mine to Mine sans fin, Bonus Stage to Bonus Scène, Exit to Sortie, Time Attack to Contre la montre, Match Race to Course de match, Data Select to Sélection des données, 1 Player to 1 Joueur, Competition to Concours, Sound test to Test de son, and Get Blue Spheres to Obtenir des sphères bleues. You can use flamedriver for those tracks.

Attached Files: