don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Hm, so it looks at least like it'll be the same game but tuned down a bit... and with some questionable looking trees, but I guess whatever it takes to make this game run on an outdated piece of hardware. Better than I expected.

Before the impending Green Hill shitstorm is unleashed upon the world, gotta say that city level looks pretty cool. I hope the Cyberspace levels are all kinda surreal like this... btw whoever theorized the giant chairs were portals, here are your internet points. Also, I see platforming. Like, actual platforming in a 3D Sonic game. So that looks fun. But yeah, Green Hill is.... idk. Really was hoping to see something else, so this is a massive bummer. I still hope there are a lot of these stages and the reused locales are just a small piece of the bigger picture.

Also these tracks in the background go fucking hard, color me excited for the game's soundtrack because I really love the way this is sounding

Edit: wait oh hey wait OH HEY WAIT, in the end you can see that "childlike villain" that people were talking about floating in the air

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  2. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    Neat that it's a mix of old and new stuff. Just hope the levels themselves are good.

3. Things that aged poorly lmao

4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Not a revelatory trailer but it is nice. Seeing GHZ again but reverted back to the nice Gens artstyle is a reverse monkey's paw and the snippets of the level design we've seen look a little more like they'll hew towards Generations rather than Colours/Forces. Hopefully IGN gives us a more substantial look at one of the action stages.

5. I seem to remember an earlier leak or description stating Sonic wakes up on the Islands with no memories and just follows the AI voice, so having to go through distorted versions of previous zones would fit in him regaining his memories (could be the AI recreating them for him which is why they look weird?). I would definitely prefer that over the Cyberspace areas just being old locations for nostalgia's sake.

My first thought with the city level was Empire City, which was my least favourite Unleashed level, but I really love how insane it looks here. Even Green Hill looks more appealing being all out of whack. If they do insist on rehashing old zones lets hope this Cyberspace twist can keep them interesting. Really though, I just hope they are fun to actually play... Always loved the 3D sections from Unleashed, Colours and Generations but Forces kind of soured them for me. Guess we will get impressions when the embargo lifts tomorrow!

Considering the abysmal first showings, Frontiers is starting to slowly (very slowly) bring me around...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Man I was already sold on the game but this is just getting better and better.
    Looks like we got a glimpse of the AI girl at the end too

edit: and that MUSIC, my god.

7. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Honestly looked like Infinite in a new mask.

I will say seeing some faster movement makes it more appealing. Still not convinced it will stick the landing.

8. Flare

Flare

Well didn't expect that... and well Green Hill... I just assume there is some higher up in Sega that requires Green Hill makes an appearance in some form, think Colors was the last game that didn't feature it in some visual form.

City looks neat though.

9. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    Wait, I loved this. It looks like a lot of fun.

10. Well the animation on that last cutscene didn’t look too bad. However…

Maybe I am just dumb but I missed that completely. Where did you see that again?

11. MH MD

MH MD

but sill featured it in a layout form, in those co op Game Land stages, so really, we never really escaped it

12. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
  13. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    It's the second time green hill got revealed in a nintendo direct lol.
    Although this time we had leaks to brace ourselves instead of being sucker punched like with Forces :V

14. Still waiting for them showcase actual level design for these cyberspace stages.

15. Snowbound

Snowbound

Not enough was shown off for me to really a have a super positive or negative reaction. The city level has me cautiously optimistic as it appears to have multiple paths. The green hill level… well we already knew that green hill and sky sanctuary were gonna be reused but what they showed off did not look unique enough to interest me. I’m glad the level’s background plays into the cyberspace theme so maybe the cyberspace aspect will bring some new twists to the later parts of the level. That said I’m not gonna keep my hopes up.

It seems the cyberspace levels award a chaos emerald key and not a chaos emerald (unless the key is used to open something that stores an emerald). Given this it may be possible that there are more than 7 cyberspace levels:

2F69AF45-7233-4671-973C-CA57A7303919.jpeg

I’m glad to see the Switch version in action. IF I get this game when around launch time it’ll definitely be for the switch. With Origins using Frontier’s lighting engine and with beefy gaming pcs struggling to run it I doubt that Frontiers will perform better given the game’s scope and inclusion of denuvo. Switch is the only modern console I own so I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed. What they showed off looked good but there were a lot of very short and selective clips

16. VenomTH

VenomTH

I'm not sure if this confirms or disproves any of the leaks. The city shown does not seem like Speed Highway but I could be mistaken.

17. Prototype

Prototype

Movement looks jank as always.

18. MH MD

MH MD

it's not, it looks way different, and put immediate stop to any leaks that claims that all levels are from Generations

19. Snowbound

Snowbound

20. JW.

JW.

Looks as I expected the Switch version to look, rather low res and seems on lower settings. If they can get it running well in handheld mode I think it will look fine on the screen though. Not too happy to see Green Hill but not surprised either. New city level looked interesting, but they didn't show enough for me to even see what it's about.