don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. unAWARE

unAWARE

Mmm...morphball! Member
    Southwest Michigan
    Raising my son

Point taken, but Taxman did work on the original ports of S1,2, and CD, and Retro Engine and his studio Evening Star are credited in this game.

And like I said, because of those involved with the gameplay side of things, my hopes are high those bugs will get fixed. Stealth and Headcannon have a relatively good reputation for fixing bugs, especially early on. But as far as the rest of the collection, the menus and such that SEGA is responsible for? Not holding my breath there.

2. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    A-ha, that's it!

I couldn't pinpoint it consciously, but my subconscious was diggin' away at my brain tellin' me something ain't quite right. Thank you! I've quoted your reply in a pinned comment on the video, and linked to your post. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  3. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Yeah, you only see that scene in the bad ending.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Xilla

Xilla

Are the sped-up versions of the tracks also within the files or is it the game doing the tempo increase itself? They sound bloody awful, like someone has ran them through Audacity, increased the tempo and called it a day.

5. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I was pleasantly surprised to see that I could play after midnight (I could have sworn third party stuff on PS4/5 lagged behind other consoles and didn't get released until 9AM Pacific), so I played through Sonic 1 before I went to bed. Had a great time and it was nice being able to restart the Special Stage upon failing. I always had trouble with those (always thought they felt "off" to control), though I got the last 2 or 3 on the first try. I guess I just don't do them often enough (nowhere near as often as the halfpipe or Blue Spheres) so I have to get the hang of them again each time. I'm itching to keep playing, but I've got to sit here for another 5 and a half hours watching time crawl by first.

I'm waaaaaaiiiitiiiiiiing...

6. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Yep; checking older videos and that’s absolutely it. Wild I hadn’t noticed till now, that’s on me. Still seems weird

I’m also noticing that the cutting of the sound effects is absolutely why the footage plays so fast; they start cosmic eternity at the very beginning now and had to speed it up to keep the sync intact

edit; though I wonder if maybe what we’re seeing is the intended playback speed? Ending always felt at least a little slow and I was never sure if it was intentional. Someone could ask the Discotek guys if that was them I guess; I’d trust their judgment

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  7. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    this is driving me fucking crazy. not enough of a pussy to say "game ruined lmao" but it's still pretty unnerving

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. nesboy43

nesboy43

https://mobile.twitter.com/head_cannon/status/1516777998719983620

Tweet thread from a few months back but, I did not realize Headcannon was only responsible for Sonic 3 and Knuckles in Origins. Everything else was done by Sega. This means the porting of Sonic 1 and 2 mobile as well as CD were done by Sega (although these builds are from Headcannon/Whitehead just from 10 years ago).

That being said, S3&K also seems to have the most glitches in this collection.

9. Harper

Harper

Okay so I just found a new title screen cheat but it doesn't appear to do anything. On 3&K's title screen during the "press button" segment press Up Up Up, Down Down Down, Up. Nothing appears to change, I'm going through every corner of this game trying to find a change. This can be combined with the sound test cheat code.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. nesboy43

nesboy43

I think Sega has likely lost the goodwill they once had regained from classic fans. I mean these games are in my opinion the pinnacle of the medium of videogames.

The glitches and poor presentation is so sad to see for classic Sonic games. I expect this from EA and Activision with their latest title, but not from Sega.

Given the many issues on each platform, Sega knowingly sold a broken game to their fans. The same fans who have been buying these games for 30 years now.

I also noticed when Mania had some bugs we actually had Stealth and Taxman in these threads acknowledging any issues brought up and fixing them.

Is Stealth sworn to secrecy/silence when it comes to Origins?

This is not a cheap collection and is insulting to Sega's mascot of 30 years as well as their fans.

Is someone in Sega going to give us an apology or plan forward for these issues?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. LucasMadword

LucasMadword

LucasSaturn Member
    Welp, with all of the issues, I'm glad I didn't buy it. Music and SFX woes, high system requirements for 2D games, no macOS or Linux versions, new glitches. I'll wait for a sale, and wait for the isses to blow over (especially if they ever decide to do a phyiscal release at some point).

I would urge anyone who is holding off on buying Origins (but still want to support the developers) to consider grabbing a copy of Pier Pressure on Steam from Headcannon and Stealth (and co.?). Given the fact everyone seems to rave about both Headcannon and Stealth, and how amazing they are... there's a severe lack of people who have bought their own personal project and left a review. The music is a bop and the gameplay seems fun (although maybe not my kind of game!). I own it, but I might gift it a few people as well, as I think my money is better spent going to those guys, rather than to SEGA (especially given from what we know, they get no royalties from sales).

12. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

this shouldn’t exactly be surprising; it’s the newest, and sega seems to have rushed them out the door in some respects

Sonic 1, cd, and 2 had like 10 years of post-launch patches and updates. Hopefully the stealth team will be allowed to update it as well

13. nesboy43

nesboy43

Very good call. People should not be throwing money at Sega for this. You would only be supporting them releasing poorly made classic Sonic games full of glitches.

People should know that Headcannon/Whitehead were contracted for any work they did with Sega. They do not get a portion of the sales.

Don't buy this game folks. Pier Pressure looks super cool and I'll be purchasing it myself.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List

14. It is kind of amusing how its mainly things that only Sonic fans would care about.

Shit like this is why outsiders think we're insane.

15. Swifthom

Swifthom

A Friend Remembers... Member
    I think the incorrect music issue had permeated through to wider gaming culture.
    MJ's music was so important, so culturally relevant for the early 90s, Ice Cap and Launch base have basically been defiled into abominations of their former self.

But... save for that, yeah... A lot of the stuff is things that drive speed runners wild not the average player.
    I didn't bemoan the media attention the little changes that the HD release of SM64 had got so much media coverage (seriously - there was a lot) so I won't bemoan this, particularly when its far more significant than what happened in that game.

16. Harper

Harper

I just figured out what the "Up Up Up Down Down Down Up" code enables. It allows you to play as Super Tails with no flickies, you only need the Chaos Emeralds.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Idk exactly how game development works but seeing that S3K was built off Mania, it's weird some things that worked in Mania don't anymore (mainly how the music is handled, no speed up on blue spheres, weird loops and resets, not the music itself)

Oh and I tried all the Mania codes in S3K out of curiosity, none of them work anymore. Shame but not shocking. What is surprising though is that Knuckles & Tails wasn't added to S3K like it was in Sonic 2... and only Sonic 2.

Decisions were made but some of them are confusing.

18. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Most likely because the gameplay is handled by the Retro Engine while the menus & music is handled by the Hedgehog Engine.

19. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    I bought Pier Pressure on release day and became his patron. I'm still sad Vertebreaker was cancelled.

20. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    There are no sped-up versions among the files.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List