don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. It feels just fine to me. It actually feels exactly the same as Sonic Mania, and everyone else I've asked said S3K is the highlight of the collection. More people would've been talking about this if this were the case. Maybe your game is just bugged?

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    ...good question. I'm going to assume no, but this warrants testing.

3. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    I was playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles in No Save mode a moment ago, when I suddenly picked up on some weird buzz / hiss / other artefact in Marble Garden Zone: Act 2.

At first, I thought it might be something borked with the level track recording they've used, but I then sussed out that it was actually something to do with hitting a spring.

So, I backed out of the game and turned the BGM all the way down in options, then hopped into Angel Island Zone: Act 1 to have an isolated listen, and I don't think the springs are meant to sound quite like this:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  4. RikohZX

RikohZX

Wouldn't surprise me, if I'm looking at the info with all of this right it's basically files Sega personally managed external to the games that's playing the audio, and they didn't do a very good job personally of handling it all.

5. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Thank you for unintentionally revealing this feature! This will help with CNZ, ICZ, and LBZ.

6. Snowbound

Snowbound

If anyone here is playing Origins on a mid to low tier PC or laptop: how is it running?

7. corneliab

corneliab

I see you can now actually destroy Flying Battery Act 2's laser that you get trapped in with, which is a nice touch.

I'm still having fun with 3&K, especially since I'm drop-dashing all over and that I'm past the Sonic 3 portion, but man it would be a shame if this game in particular doesn't get patched. I hope we hear of some plans to do so soon. Here's what I would prioritize based on what I've played in 3&K:

-the special stage music not speeding up
    -the music cutting out immediately once the last blue sphere of a special stage is collected. it's supposed to play a bit longer and stop just before the emerald jingle plays.
    -the special stage music getting interrupted by jingles and starting over
    -the falling rocks not going away after the Marble Garden Act 1 miniboss drills through the ceiling earlier in the level
    -In Launch Base Act 2, following the results screen, the bottom part of the Death Egg comes back into view near the end of the scene, which conflicts with the graphic of the entire Death Egg falling in the background
    -the super theme. revert it to the S&K invincibility theme like before. otherwise, at least make it sound like it belongs in this game.
    -the Hydrocity Act 2 boss room's ceiling collision being as low as the top of the screen, making it unreasonably hard to make use of the bomb explosions that propel you upward (you could previously get launched off-screen but can't anymore, as a result)
    -the delayed results screen music
    -the muffled music quality
    -the replacement tracks for the S3 zones... just use the ones from the prototype, unchanged, if you have to. carnival night is on life-support.
    -the annoying Sonic 3 extra-life jingle being used in anniversary mode (classic mode even uses superior S&K one... just keep it that way for both modes)

Also, I noticed that Sonic can't seem to jump up to the last Big Ring in Hydrocity 2 (the one near the two cylinder platforms that you get shot between from below). In the original game he would barely step up to the ring's room, but now due to engine/collision differences he just can't make it.

8. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Hmm, interesting...

I've just checked the other 3 games, and none of them have that artefacting on their spring sound effects.

9. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    The dream of 4 well made modern ports in one collection was too good to be true, monkey paw wish.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

tbh this one always sorta felt like you were Kind of cheesing how the game handles ground collision to get up to it, so not totally surprised to hear it might be out of reach now

im assuming it’s possible to get it with tails’ help now though

11. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    For these two, I noticed the first one and found it a welcome addition. It's a good way to respect the player's time since that whole segment doesn't really add much otherwise.

As for the second, I noticed that Sonic can hit the boss with the Insta-Shield just by high jumping out of the water. Completely trivializes the intended launch mechanic.

12. RikohZX

RikohZX

And none of them have audio as quiet and muffled as 3&K's is, either. It just sounds plain off in general. If everyone's threads on Twitter looking at the whole problem are right, yeah, Sega inexplicably messed up the audio for 3&K specifically (though CD has plenty of its own issues).

Plus looking at Axanery's threads, 3&K is one gigantic Mania mod, right down to numerous assets left behind and Ray and Mighty's code and assets scrubbed out specifically. So if it "feels like Mania", that's because it basically is. You can even tell by the way the screen fade transitions from Mania are totally intact.

13. corneliab

corneliab

Heh, right when I got there I even thought to myself, "well shit, this probably isn't going to work anymore, huh?" Sure enough it didn't (and I was playing as Sonic alone, to boot).

14. Xeeynamo

Xeeynamo

London
    So apparently there is a very irritating bug in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 where Tails often gets stuck off-camera and he jumps like crazy until the end of the stage. I was really losing my temper through the entire game until Sky Chase. Video that shows the bug: https://twitter.com/xeeynamo/status/1539782740350058496?t=Md5vMZx7BpnBspirvPNbrA&s=19

Aside from that, I feel that the Sonic CD BGMs are of a lower quality than the usual and Sonic 3&K BGMs are muffled. Also they did not bother to work on consistency at all in the Story Mode: Sonic CD has the old spin-dash, no games other than Sonic CD has the super peel out, CD is the only game to have the milliseconds in the Time, no Knuckles in Sonic CD and so on.

I like this anniversary collection. The idea is awesome and the mission mode fun, but it feels they cut corners here and there.

15. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    Wow tails becomes super tails with chaos emeralds in Anniversary mode. Didnt expect it as I was used to that it happens only with super emeralds lol.

16. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    LOL Yuji Naka just tweeted this, in regards to SEGA’s TikTok:
    https://twitter.com/nakayuji/status/1539897464274112512?s=21&t=l-yiMa90JQDsE17ndgG7og

I just find it amusing because SEGA has never directly acknowledged MJ’s involvement but freaking Yuji Naka indirectly confirms it in a random tweet like this (yes I know he’s ex-SEGA now)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Loop

Loop

Pure of Heart. Dumb of Ass. Member
    I'm pretty sure Jun mentioned MJ in an article in Nintendo Power and how he couldn't speak about his involvement in Sonic 3.

18. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    This can be changed by going into Sonic CD individually and scrolling to SETTINGS on the title screen, then entering it, choosing a spin dash style, then going to Story Mode. The change will be applied there, as will soundtrack changed via Sonic CD individually.

I will agree that this is unnecessarily convoluted however, and these settings should have been thought through better by SEGA.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Am I right in remembering that the original Sonic CD taxman version allowed Sonic 2 spindash as a cheat? if it did they should have forced it on for the story mode.

20. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    2011 Sonic CD had both spindashes in the options menu, no cheats, as does Origins. Anniversary seems to go off your choice in Sonic CD (as with the music selection). Mine was Sonic 2 by default anyway, but it really should ask you these things before you start story mode.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List