don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Beat Sonic 1 in story mode and went to Sonic CD. It defaulted to the US soundtrack. Found I had to go to Sonic CD in the game select, go through it's main menu, select JP soundtrack, and then go back to story mode, and then it uses the JP soundtrack for the story mode. Feels like a huge oversight.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  2. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    So played it for a bit on the Switch and wow is it rough. I was planning on double dipping like I did the Sonic CD version but thank God I did not do such a thing. It feels pretty unfinished and there's so many small things that a lil bit more time would have fixed. The game themselves are still good but as it is right now this is NOT the definitive way to play the originals. SEGA should have hired Taxman and Stealth like on Mania to work on this collection to be honest. They let M2 work on the SEGA Ages stuff just fine I dont understand why they felt the need to take development man power that could be use on Frontiers to work on Origins. I'm 100% sure had Stealth and Taxman teams worked on this from day one we would have had a more polished experience overall.

3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Holy Rings, this game is a broken ass mess... I didn't go all the way to the boss's bounary and it never centered the camera on him, and now if I lure him over here his platforms go invisible and completely break the sprites (look at the fragment on the right).

I've ran into half a dozen glitches like this in 20 minutes of play. The physics are also very different in some aspects... like... wildly so.

HolyTails.jpg

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  4. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Anyone know if there is a code to use elemental shields in story mode? Thanks!

5. Unlimited Trees

Unlimited Trees

we Do a Little Mischief, Mischief... Member
    When
    UNITRES, Project Time, etc.
    so . they removed All of sonic and amys voice lines in sonic cd. they even replaced the extra life sound with the same sound as tails extra life sound . this is bullshit .

6. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

At the very least I hope they give the PC version what they gave to the Genesis Classics collection; an alternate, low-end launcher that doesn’t outpace the requirements of the actual games ten times over

7. RikohZX

RikohZX

This should've been a slam dunk. Instead this is kind of a rushed mess, which is weird because they definitely made it seem like they were real confident in the release date and yet they tried to play turbo coy about the actual quality control and functionality.

The non-Sega people involved are probably getting their hands on the final product for the first real time themselves, and if that's the case I can only imagine how exasperated they must be that Sega dropped the ball.

Again.

8. Some stray thoughts after an hour of playing:

—Tails being able to fly in Sonic 2, and pair with Knuckles, and carry Sonic or Knuckles, is awesome.

—The special stages in Sonic 2 being smoother and on a TV immediately vaults these special stages to the top of the list. It's so so much better.

—Player 2 jumping in Sonic 2 doesn't put them ahead of player 1 in the special stages. I like this.

—I think Sonic has a new idle animation in Sonic 3, nodding off standing up? Or am I crazy and that was in the original? I don't remember it being there.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  9. corneliab

corneliab

Yeah, the issues reek of Sega negligence, and there are a lot of them. Kinda regretting my purchase at the moment.

10. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

I don't know why this bothers me so much, but Youtube compresses videos to hell and back. I'd wager the Mania Adventures shorts are in better quality in Origins than on Youtube.

11. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    Was never a fan of the remastered tracks. Synthesized hi hats sound different than white noise, and a few tracks lose the original feeling they had with psg envelopes that are either wrong or just gone all together (mystic cave 2p I'm looking at you)

12. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Guys.

The physics are a total mess in Sonic 3. The characters acellerate to top speed way too quickly, there are glitches where Knuckles was literally teleported from one side of the screen to the other in the act 1 burning cutscene, tails' flight is rocket powered and moves upwards far too quickly...

Sure, there were subtle differences in the retro engine before, but nothing like this. Something went seriously wrong here. I've been playing AIR a whole lot over the past 2 years, and this isn't even close to either it or regular emulation. If you're a casual player you might not notice it, but any speedrunner will notice a huge difference in the controls instantly. Hitboxes seem like they're out of wack too.

I'm sorry for the hyperbole, but I'm legitimately in shock at how off Sonic 3 feels right now. It's about halfway to GBA Sonic 1 bad, and this was coded by the guy who fixed that when SEGA couldn't.

Something went seriously wrong behind the scenes.

If you haven't purchased this yet, don't. This needs to be fixed, badly. I can't even... just... why...

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Knuckles can’t use his abilities in Sonic 3 competition mode which is dumb (Tails can). I feel this must be a Sega mandate to stick to the original as I can’t see Headcanon not wanting to fix that.

Luckily Knuckles can use his abilities in Sonic 2 splitscreen. So that Ars Technical review is mixed up!

Also it’s bizarre how Knuckles opening cut scenes in Sonic 3 starts in Mushroom Hill but then he ends up in Angel Island. The Sonic 3 remastered pitch had changed the cut scene to Angel Island so I’m surprised they didn’t keep that.

14. Unlimited Trees

Unlimited Trees

we Do a Little Mischief, Mischief... Member
    When
    UNITRES, Project Time, etc.
    Me When They Change A Single Byte In My Beloved Baby Game

15. Devon

Devon

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Tech Member
    your mom
    I absolutely do not like the remastered audio for Sonic 1 and 2 on the mobile version; they sound weirdly hollow and the hi-hat used is irritating (particularly the open one), so, minus the decision made for CD, to me, this is preferable.

16. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Maybe I'll avoid this game altogether. I have the original games on cartridge and CD and mobile ports for my Android device including a few 1990's home PC ports. Sega screwed up bad.

17. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    This was an unused animation in the original game.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  18. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles special stages music do not seem to speed up plus the music restarts when you get a 1up/Coin or Continue. I'm starting to think that there was either no QA involved or they were totaly ignored.

19. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Not to say there might not be issues in the launch version of a top down remake of a game that has signs of rush to print, fix it later publishing practices but uh

It kinda undermines what you have to say if you have to hedge it with “Only speedrunners will notice”

20. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    Any new codes or something found yet? It's a bit of a long shot, but I was curious if anything was hidden away through sound test codes that wasn't known about (we do know about Debug).