don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Linkabel

Linkabel

You have to see it from the perspective of the manga's setting where she plays the role of Nicky's girlfriend.

2. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    I don't have access to the game yet over here in the U.K., but what I'm hearing from various people across here, Twitter, and a live stream I'm watching, is that the music quality, organisation and volume levels seems to be all over the place in this collection.

In the Story Mode live stream I'm currently watching, while it does include commentary and sound effects, it seems fairly clear that the Japanese Speed Shoes music in Sonic CD is significantly quieter than the regular level music. I'll have to check this music stuff out more thoroughly myself once the game releases for me on Steam.

I typically look forward to music in Sonic games, so it's pretty deflating having the feeling that the audio in this game is disorganised and having inconsistent quality. From what I've seen in another live stream, the Museum doesn't even play any music at all, just awkward silence besides menu sound effects.

Quite questionable decisions in the audio department overall. :(

Last edited: Aug 13, 2023
  3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Anyone know when the steam version unlocks? 10AM, sooner? Later?

4. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Game is unlocked on Switch, haven’t played any game yet but I’ve checked the museum…as mentioned earlier in the thread, chaotix’s tracks are all misnamed, and the descriptions don’t match either the name or the actual track for good mesure.

This is…the most sega thing ever lol

5. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    At this point I'm super curious who the fuck was in charge of audio management and audio quality control for this collection, because the more that I'm seeing and hearing the more it becomes apparent that they've half-arsed that effort by quite a margin. This would be disappointing for any game, but it's particularly sad for a Sonic game in my opinion.

To add to my previous post, the Sonic CD Japanese Special Stages music is quite loud, while the level clear music is fairly quiet. It's almost like they grabbed tracks from multiple sources and didn't even bother volume balancing them, either properly or at all. It's rather frustrating to hear.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  6. Xilla

Xilla

I'm not too sure, but I *think* they've removed the loops that were reinstated for the Japanese Sonic CD tracks for the 2011 version.

7. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    That seems to be the case yeah, according to what Pie Eyed Piper posted some pages back.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. RikohZX

RikohZX

Sounds a lot like Sega didn't care about the auditory efforts Headcannon had done over the years and tried to wind everything back with variable quality? Like, someone had to make the conscious decision to wind back all the audio changes and then some.

I was hoping the ports had mostly been untouched besides the menu interface stuff and the Coins system, but so much for that.

9. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Okay had a quick try for the night, and it's pretty good. :D

Biggest downsides are the sometimes weird audio handling (aforementioned critiques plus some odd sound management that reminds me of how Jam worked) plus odd details like no Knuckles in CD, but otherwise it's a pretty neat package. The animations, the music, and the games themselves of course. It's a pretty sweet deal, even if it has some imperfections. Here's hoping some patches will solve that in time.

The mission mode is also a nice touch for people who have played these games a billion times already. Yeah it's just basic minigames tacked on, but some of the challenges are fun. Either way it's a neat side attraction.

Not unlocked all the museum stuff yet obviously, but some of that art is a pretty neat find, especially that conceptual stuff for Knuckles.

10. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    This will be a perfect opportunity to report this feedback to SEGA… if the audio quality is all over the place, as well as incorrect names for certain BGM, that definitely calls for some sort of major patch/update

Would also be a good opportunity to give feedback on the Origins Sonic 3 replacement/PC track quality, but that one might be wishful thinking.

Here's hoping SEGA actually listens and takes this feedback very seriously in order to fix these bugs

11. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

The audio is definitely the most consistent sore spot of the collection, loads of cut corders everywhere, especially considering the remakes and Mania handled things mostly fine.

I'm hopeful these are just rushed spots that they intend to patch up, though I guess it depends on whether Headcannon or SEGA have the say on that.

12. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Chiming in to say that Origins turned out to be a huge disappointment on just about every level, I'm glad I didn't buy it. I figure, if you're gonna redo the S3 SST music, you might as well make it better than the 93 proto, not worse as ended up being the case. Oh, and good LORD that new super theme is the pits. I'm getting Sonic 4 Vietnam flashbacks, and I neither fought in Vietnam (wasn't even born yet) or ever played Sonic 4.

Maybe I'll pick it up if they remove Denuvo and I can mod the stuff I don't like, but only if they remove Denuvo. Tax/Stealth and associates, you guys kick ass, but I'm sorry, I'm gonna have to pass for now. SEGA's fault, not yours.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  14. RikohZX

RikohZX

15. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Apparently there are a ton of left over mania art assets in there too

can’t really blame em or anything; it’s the latest version of their engine so might as well

16. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    If they significantly remedy the audio problems (Which I seriously hope that they do.), Sonic 3 & Knuckles gameplay related aspects need patching while they're at it. This and this require addressing, particularly so the latter as the punishment is instant death.

17. Just got to Sonic 3 on the story mode. Some thoughts:

-It's annoying that Sonic CD defaults to USA soundtrack even though I'm on the Euro version (not that it should ever default to US anyway). I had to back out of story mode, then go to the Sonic CD menu and change it, then return.

-Sonic 3 has the rolling jump-lock removed. It's pretty jarring to go jump-lock in 1, to no jump-lock in CD, to jump-lock in 2, then no jump-lock again.

-In Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, you cannot drop dash in the opposite direction when executing from a jump-lock. This is not how the move behaves in the Sega Ages' implementation and feels bad. If you don't know what I mean, let's say you're rolling to the right, then jump and charge a drop dash while holding left. In Origins you will just dash to the right, while in Sega Ages Sonic 1 and 2 you will turn and go left.

-Having BGM tracks with the wrong titles is so embarrassing.

Edit:

- There is no dust kicked up from the drop-dash in Sonic 1, CD, or 2, but Sonic 3 has it.

- You can drop-dash out of the bubble-swallowing animation in Sonic 1, CD, and 2, but not in Sonic 3.

18. President Zippy

President Zippy

Zombies rule Belgium! Member
    I'm sorry if I'm only the 10,000th to say this in the past couple days, but they RUINED half the S3 soundtrack. Those "remixes" of the S3 proto tracks are even worse than the S3K collection without a SoundBlaster card.

Sega could have just paid for the fanmade S3 redux by Leila Wilson and Sean Evans if Michael Jackson's tablescraps were too rich for their blood. I would argue that their alternate soundtrack is better overall than both the proto AND the 1994 final release:

I'll admit the S3 final version of Ice Cap is unbeatable, but tell me this isn't a great way to tease the Death Egg!

19. corneliab

corneliab

First time hearing that track, and I agree. Damn I love everything about that.

20. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    Kinda off-topic, has the behavior of this item been documented? I still don't understand the rules by which it divides the ring amount.