don't click here

Tweaker knocks down another wall...

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yep. This time, I finally figured out how to port voices from Sonic 2 and other games just about perfectly. From what I can hear, anyway. :thumbsup:

The method is as follows:

1. Swap bytes 02 & 03.

2. Swap Bytes 06 & 07.

3. Swap Bytes 0A & 0B.

4. Swap Bytes 16 & 17

Remember that this is counting in hex. Starting with 00, ending with 18 (or you can pseudo-start with 01 and end at 19)

And that's it! Enjoy porting new music, because I know I did. =P

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Can someone edit my above post to include my corrections? Thanks.

3. Elusive

Elusive

Sparkster the Rocket Knight Member
    You can't edit your own posts? -_-

What do you mean by 'voices'? Whole chunks of sound data? Any idea how many games this can be used with?

4. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    Voices are instruments.

Actually, they're FM settings for a channel, but they simulate instruments. See here.

5. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    I've always wondered, why does Tweaker have two accounts?

6. Mask of Destiny

Mask of Destiny

Tech Member
    So basically there are a few word-values that are little-endian in Sonic 2 (because it uses the Z80 for music) that aren't in other games that use the 68K?

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Nibesto is my original account, and I use it at school. Fuck that though, I'm logged in right now, so :P

I'm not sure if that's the case, but it appears so. Every other Genesis game as far as I know uses the normal voice format in Sonic 1 and etc. The ymx file format is a direct dump of YM2612 registers, so I'm guessing Sonic 2 uses register dumps to apply voices. Not sure at all on that one, though.

8. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    It do. Those voice tables in the sound data are applied directly to the YM2612 registers.

9. Dr. D'nar

Dr. D'nar

I wouldn't trust me if I were you Member
    Does the YM2612 have a regulat Z80 or is it a special model like in the Gameboy?

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    [quote name='Dr. D'nar' date='Dec 14 2005, 09:06 PM']Does the YM2612 have a regulat Z80 or is it a special model like in the Gameboy?[/quote]
    Regular Z80, as far as I know. Originally left in the system for back compatibility with the Master System, it was put to better use as the main sound processor for the Genny. That way, all the CPU cycles are left for more useful things. =P

11. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    YEAH! :D

Sorry.

Sweet job, Tweaker, you've proved yet again how amazing you are.

12. Mask of Destiny

Mask of Destiny

Tech Member
    [quote name='Dr. D'nar' date='Dec 14 2005, 09:06 PM']Does the YM2612 have a regulat Z80 or is it a special model like in the Gameboy?[/quote]
    The gameboy doesn't really have a Z80 at all. It's an 8080 clone (the Z80 is also an 8080 clone) and like the Z80 it adds instructions to those of the 8080, but the instructions it adds are different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.