don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Turbohog

Turbohog

Yes, it sped up in Mania too. It would certainly be an odd change to make intentionally.

2. nesboy43

nesboy43

Funny how a week ago we had people in this thread claiming somehow Jackson’s team replaced the “real Sonic 3 music” and that the Beta music is what the game should have been.

I will say this, the beta music and 97 PC music is actually way better than this music which is devoid of any room to breathe and is incredibly over produced.

The original soundtrack is and will continue to be the best soundtrack.

This soundtrack blunder and lack of a true classic mode or 16:9 with the original gameplay is absolutely baffling. This should’ve been my favorite games of all time but made even better.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. RikohZX

RikohZX

Can we not do another "original / prototype was better" argument again? We can debate the quality of the Origins mixes, sure, but no more nostalgia waving about who had the better opinion of their childhoods please.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Pie Eyed Piper

Pie Eyed Piper

In the midst of all the Sonic 3 music discussion (which'll continue long after I post no doubt), I thought about how it seems like the Sonic 1 & 2 music has been reverted from the iOS remasters, and checked if the same is true for Sonic CD. Turns out, it has. The Proto loops in the 2011 have been omitted or the 2011 .oggs (I'm guessing) have been swapped. I have not seen anyone else mention it and I've been following this thread pretty closely, so I figured I'd post some proof.

At 20:19 here:

And one more, about 2:49 here:

Also, since it was brought up quite a bit in this thread, something I've noticed for a long time is general talk of "supporting the fans", and with some speaking directly about Headcannon/Simon specifically (or personally). Unlimited Trees brought it up rather jokingly, but in all seriousness, I wonder how many came through in that regard and purchased Pier Pressure for that reason? In terms of a near direct line of support (short of a direct bank transfer or Paypal), that would have been the time to do it. I assume most are aware that the professional fans work with SEGA is contracted, and they don't get any of the sales profits. In fact, they've already been paid. The money being spent here going directly to SEGA, and yet, in Headcannon's case, all sales proceeds for Pier Pressure would have been going directly to Headcannon (the studio) and Stealth (minus fees, granted). This is especially at a time when he wasn't doing so well financially and plenty of people knew something about that.

I know it's a Sonic forum and all, but it's always been on my mind ever since Headcannon released PP a couple of years ago and seeing the lack of any buzz whatsoever, not even from Sonic Retro. I wonder how much direct support Headcannon got from his own IP instead of moral support and well wishing when it came time to put money where one's mouth was. Well wishing doesn't put food on the table. Honestly, nobody even talks about Pier Pressure on this forum! I thought it was pretty great, myself aside from the game breaking bug at the end of stage 4.

All said, though, I do agree that outside of direct monetary support, there's also having a good working relationship with a AAA (?) company such as SEGA, as so, there's also "support" in the "they do great work, consider contracting them again" sense, which is what I assume most people are referring to. It's about making voices heard, I get that. I just don't want anyone to be so tunnel visioned on the brand of "Sonic" that people end up neglecting "their own" directly (while saying another thing when Sonic is attached). It makes me a little worried for Evening Star.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  5. It sure was fun not having to deal with typical Sonic discourse for a few weeks after the Movie was out, but I guess the honeymoon period is over.

Yea, I'm mostly disappointed by the new tracks but I don't have the energy to get angry about it on here or Twitter, so I'm just gonna not buy the game until its on sale or something. Not getting it on PC, because I can just play Sonic 3 A.I.R.

I don't like the new tracks but like with anything bad with Sonic, I'll learn to tolerate it eventually.

6. Patrolman

Patrolman

I feel that the music won't be distracting to me if I played the level. I saw the footage and I felt it flowed well with the level

7. Harper

Harper

So does Sonic CD just not have a level select now?

8. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I wish I didn't feel so petty being turned off the collection because the MJ music isn't there. I know I was one of the people saying that was childish but like...

This game is $40. Sonic 1, 2, CD, and AIR are all on my phone for only 1/4th of that. If not for the story mode I wouldn't even consider getting this.

It's not even about the music being replaced its the fact that they replaced it with such mediocrity that bothers me. Sonic 3 and Knuckles is my favorite platformer of all time and the MJ music was a huge part of that.

It'd be like if they re-released Star Wars but redid the entire score and made it worse. Like yeah it's the same movie but with the music being such a core part of the identity I don't see myself liking it as much if the replacements were subpar. Or at the very least I'd just stick to the original versions and not buy the one with the new music.

It sucks but it is what it is.

9. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    SEGA's official TikTok posted this 12 hours ago apparently. Conveniently right as the music changes became common knowledge. Hmm...

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I can't get over the fact that the Super theme is just completely different in style. It's not using the genesis sound chip, it's using completely different instruments and Sonic 1 drums. All the other tracks that Jun Senoue supposedly "replaced" sound like they're recorded from a real Genesis. Why would he go out of his way to make tracks with two completely different styles?

In fact, all of the music in this version's s3k sounds like it's been recorded straight from a Genesis. My theory is that the problematic tracks were recorded off a Genesis from an earlier prototype that we have access to, given the in-between-ness the tracks have between the leaked prototype and the S&K collection.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    SEGA tiktok is amazing. There's just something so funny about the fact that they're performing relatively normal skits but just while wearing a goofy sonic mascot costume.

12. RikohZX

RikohZX

Honestly the more we notice about the "new tracks", the more it sounds like he just recorded off of a prototype he had lying around, or recorded those tapes he supposedly has of the songs from development. Which would explain why they sound Genesis authentic yet so muffled and less crisp. When Katie said his job was remastering the tracks, I guess it was a literal sense of remastering the mixing and audio of songs he didn't actually have to directly produce and rework himself.

You know, of tracks from potentially before the prototype we all know, where the sound driver was still unfinished and kind of broken. Which would go a fair way in explaining why Carnival Night as a whole and Launch Base 2 sound so borked. Also makes me wonder if the Prototype and S&K Collection are two separate divergences of these old tracks being adapted, the Collection just stuck closer to things like CNZ's instrumentation.

13. corneliab

corneliab

Did the 2011 release even have the traditional code-based level select? I don't remember using it and I couldn't find a mention of one when I looked it up. I only ever remember the unlockable one (which is locked behind time attack and is not easy to get).

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  14. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    And in 10 years or so will probably create a forth or so group of fans who'll believe all previous tracks don't hold a candle to the Origins ones, cause fandom's a bitch :V

15. Linkabel

Linkabel

Probably less than that, kids that are 7-10 who are going to experience the Classic Sonic games for the first time are going to be more socially active online in 2-5 years.

16. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

2011 didn’t before
    Least not a traditional one like the 1/2 remakes and 3 do

I distinctly remember thinking it it was such a bizarre choice because unlike the original the saves remember what act you left on so if you finish a playthrough without all the time stones that save is just like that forever

17. nesboy43

nesboy43

Your quote about Star Wars isn't too far off from whats happened to that movie since 1997. Sonic 3 and Knuckles are now also revisionist products.

18. At least the most badass music of the game is still intact: Flying Battery Zone. :eng101:

19. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    FBZ Act 2 FTW
    going off on a tangent but this song's bassline is pure joy, i love it.

20. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Am I crazy or are the sparkles in the Sonic 2 title screen ridiculously fast?

EDIT: There was usually a little delay between the 1st and 2nd sparkle.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022