don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. WHO did the animated songs tho? Because they sound so good.

2. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop

I disagree. These tracks look like they are very much based on the prototype versions as far as the arrangements go.

For example, the melody at 1:37 in this video:

does not match the melody at 0:30 in the PC version:

and instead matches the melody at 00:29 from the prototype:

There is a similar situation at the beginning melody of LBZ 2 where it seems to go up a fourth in prototype and Origins versions (it's hard to tell with the poor mastering of the Origins version) but clearly stays the same note in the PC version.

However, the instrumentation, especially for CNZ 2, is a different story. It sounds more like the PC version with instruments in the wrong octave altogether.

3. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    Sat on it for a bit: I feel like ICZ sounds perfectly fine, LBZ sounds kinda...muted, for some reason? Not bad, just a bit wonky.

CNZ got murderized though, especially act 1. That's the biggest loss from the proto tracks to here, though. I know it's just the PC collection versions, but MAN why not use the proto tracks, because they're ALREADY USED IN OTHER PARTS OF THIS RE-RELEASE. Super Sonic OST would be fine if it wasn't arranged like that. (Sonic 1/2 drums????????? Why) Again, Jun's a very talented guy, but he hasn't done FM synth music in years and it fucking shows

It's not ruining the game for me, and I'm still excited for the collection (I will buy the Retro Engine Sonic CD port as many times as I am legally able), but CNZ is gonna be a zone I kinda listen to something else on. I'm kind of holding on to some desperate last hope that there's a code in the game to replace the tracks with their proto versions. Absolutely I'm grasping at straws for hopes, but man, a girl can dream can't she? :V

4. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

Jun composed and arranged the score for the animations, though I think he may have had assistants helping him with a few parts.

• Informative Informative x 15
    • List
  5. Sai Start Marker

Sai Start Marker

Born in 1947 but made for the 90's Oldbie
    All they had to do is give them to Yuzo Koshiro. That's all they had to do.

Ah well. Onwards to mods.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. Neo Geo MVS

Neo Geo MVS

Giga Power Pro-Gear Spec Oldbie
    As far as we know, Masaru Setsumaru and Masayuki Nagao were the ones responsible for arranging/programming the tracks in Sonic 3/S&K. I believe Masaru is still working for Sega, so I wonder why they didn't just ask him instead of Jun?

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    So this pretty much makes it clear that Genesis arrangements aren't Jun's best forte.

8. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Interesting... Hearing that Jun may not have implemented any of his music into Mega Drive tracks back in the day doesn't surprise me given what he did with implementing Origins' prototype Zone tracks.

Man, this whole music situation is a right mixed-up mess. The prototype music in Origins is a combination of re-used untouched tracks, slightly edited tracks, and significantly butchered tracks; I really can't stand how musically inconsistent this is.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  9. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

I think Sega had the presence of mind to realize Jun’s name attached to remixes of older music was consistently a hit with the older sonic fanbase, but not enough to really notice or care that FM tracks are not his strong suit

i really do hope enough of a stink can be raised to at least take a mulligan on CNZ and the Super theme. Maybe rebalance LBZ2. Everything else is at least okay.

this really has to be sorted out asap though and hopefully in the life cycle of this title because barring the legal guys working out a miracle or a deal with the devil these tracks are sonic 3’s soundtrack from now on

10. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Sonic 3 music comments I guess:

Even assuming the TSS recordings of Origins music are "inaccurate" , I really can't imagine that it makes a world of difference; like whatever that's currently circulating out there is a complete sabotage masking something substantially better.

People from the community were already re-arranging the PC collection compositions into accurate-sounding MD compositions with stuff like Sonic 3 AIR, Sonic 3 Complete, and individual remixes; long before the 1993 prototype was found. This falls well short over virtually all of those.

Another part of the frustration is that people from the community had given suggestions to Senoue prior on how to make better MD-authentic compositions (as well as what equipment to use) from the Sonic 4 days (particularly after the Partnernet beta and after Episode I's release) as part of the whole "fan feedback" cycle.

The one positive thing I will say is that I actually don't mind the new Super Sonic theme though. Could be better, sure, but at least it's something versus using the original choice of just blaring the invincibility themes. (Though it's a bit odd in that the PC collection already has that one unused track that sounds a lot like a Super transformation theme.)

But other than that...yeah, to say this is a disappointment is for me, something of an understatement. For the most part, I prefer the proto/PC tunes over the final/MJ team compositions; and was super stoked to hear their 1993 MD arrangements from the prototype. Whatever going's on with Origins simply does not do them justice at all.

11. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member

That explains why the final animation's music (21:40 in the video) spams Sonic 1/2's snare every beat, just like in Sonic 4's soundtrack.

12. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Honestly, listening to the tracks in the context of actual gameplay, they don't sound as bad as first blush, but perhaps I just don't have much of an ear for these things. They still sound muffled, mind, but closer to the Sonic 3 sound than I first thought. That said, the same does not go for + - the new Super Sonic theme   .

13. corneliab

corneliab

That new Super Sonic theme is so bad that I won't even want to use supers at all in Sonic 3 & Knuckles unless I can turn it off.

14. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
  15. RDNexus

RDNexus

I wonder if there'll be a mod to hide the HUDs and such from the main menu?
    Or even a mod to get the island camera to fly around? I'd like to see those...

16. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    ^ this

17. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Yes but that's not the entire point I was making. The point I was making is that I think these are OLDER VERSIONS of the prototype tracks, which were eventually used as the basis for the S&K collection.

18. Fadaway

Fadaway

Imagine having something like the Mega Drive Mini/Genesis Mini menu music as Carnival Night's theme. Great stuff. In fact, that gives me an idea...

19. Neo Geo MVS

Neo Geo MVS

Giga Power Pro-Gear Spec Oldbie
    Yes, I noticed that too when the screen moves up toward the end. The + - new cutscene   is very cool, but that part just looks like a glaring bug. Hopefully they patch it...

20. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    If you activate during a boss, the boss theme keeps playing.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List