don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie

Review mentions the level select codes for 1 and 3K are the same as the original, but 2 does not have the options menu anymore, so the level select code for that game are currently a mystery?

2. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

Correct, as far as I can tell, there is no options menu of any kind for Sonic 2. Unless it's a hidden code simialr to Sonic 3, I don't know how to access it.

This is likely the case sinc it seems the level select methods have been altered across the board. Sonic 1 is more or less the same, aside from the new options found in it. S3 & K seems easier to activate, I've never ever been able to do it, either on the original Mega Drive (PAL) or emulation on PC.

Yet in Origins, I can do it 90% of the time with ease.

3. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I just have to wonder what possessed them to look at ice cap and say "yeah this is fine. Just put the beta in verbatim" and then decide all the OTHER beta tracks needed to be remixed to sound worse.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  4. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Oh I'm surprised the S3 Alone code works at all. Figured it was the same as S3&K with the vines and pulleys.

5. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    You can if you use the android port. IIRC it also supports joysticks on mobile too!

6. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I didn't post at the time but I was largely in agreement with you. I like Jun as a composer but was unsure if he could craft a convincing Genesis track. I do believe Katie that he put a lot of effort in. Just turned out badly.

7. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Don't suppose you want to try any of the Sonic 2 prototype level select cheats or the one from Knuckles in Sonic 2?

8. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Good review @MrMechanic

Which level select code do you need to input in this new version of 3K?
    Is it the "Up, Up, Down, Down, Up, Up, Up, Up" from the original release of S3, or is it the grab a rope swing in Angel Island and press "Left, Left, Left, Right, Right, Right, Up, Up, Up" from vanilla 3K?

Also can you play as Knuckles with Tails AI following in S1 (you could in the mobile remaster) and 3K?

9. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    Stray thought, but I wish we had gotten something like this for Ice Cap, something like this for Carnival Night (20 seconds onwards) and something like this for Launch Base.

10. Like, this actually doens't sound too bad, I kinda like it. But then again, we got that weird thing with Carnival Night. And the fact the cutscene also use chiptune music AND IT SOUNDS AMAZING is confusing a lot. I would have ignored if the 2-player theme sound weird, but out of all themes, it was Carnival Night that had to suffer the most... my favorite song from the prototype. I'm very confused.

I think I need to sit and think about this for a while.

11. SSUK

SSUK

Oldbie
    Can someone go check on the Sonic 3 soundtrack? I think it's fallen and cannot get up.

12. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    [​IMG]

Can't believe they botched the CNZ proto music. It's garbage on S&KC, but it's a banger on the Genesis. What do they use? They S&KC version with the lower key. Sigh, what a disappointment.

Yeah, I guess I'll skip buying this until its on sale. Not worth the 40 bucks for me, sorry. I'm glad the cinematics look good, though.

13. RibShark

RibShark

Regarding the Sonic 2 level select, has anyone tried the code from KiS2 (Up Up Up, Down Down Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, A+Start)? I believe that was the code used for the mobile ports when a controller was plugged in.

14. Taylor

Taylor

Music stuff
    This new music sounds like you're listening to the original prototype tracks while you're underwater

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Linkabel

Linkabel

There are a lot of good gems in the image museum, but

like so much is missing when it comes to rare promo art. It would've been great having all the calendar, puzzles and Harmony cover artwork but seems like they just limited themselves to what was in the screensaver.

They could've even reached out and used some of the art we have found and put it in there. Along with no S3 concept art from Rock the Rock are my biggest disappointments from this game.

16. _Sidle

_Sidle

In S2-2013, it's the Knuckles in Sonic 2 code (Up,Up,Up, Down,Down,Down, Left,Right,Left,Riight) on the title screen while the ocean and islands are visible. Does that not work in Origins anymore?

17. RikohZX

RikohZX

Yeah listening to this stuff again I feel that
    Ice Cap Zone as a whole and Launch Base Act 1 should probably be fine, IC effectively sounds like Jun got the prototype version of the song in mind and kept it mostly the same besides changing the lead instrument for act 1 to be more like act 2's. Weird but okay. But Carnival Night did what the PC version did, turning the lead instruments into nasty blobs of 8-bit sound that don't match the rest of the soundtrack, and it sounds so shoed in while having off-tune notes and noises all over the place. LB act 2 is all sorts of volume issues, the backing tracks somehow got botched so hard that it devours the foreground audio.

It feels like there was some effort but overall it got rushed out the door without any real refinement.

18. RDNexus

RDNexus

Listening better to the tracks currently available, I can say ICZ & LBZ aren't all that bad.
    The worst offender seems to be CNZ, the proto track sounds better to my ears.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

I'm going to get some rest since, I've been awake a dangerously long length of time right now, but I'll try and remember to check this one tomorrow.

Feel free to... I dunno kick me if I forget and I'll check.

20. Mustapha

Mustapha

A+ Oldbie
    A+
    A PLUS
    At least the DLC is data that needs to be downloaded instead of just an unlock key.

PS5 version is 2GB more than PS4 version. Animations in 4K, HDR? Higher resolution menu assets?