don't click here

Obscure, irrelevant things you find odd in Sonic games

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by charcoal, May 16, 2022.

1. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    How about some more Sonic Unleashed stuff?

[​IMG]

This specific area of Spagonia piques my interest. You can obviously tell they probably put that giant wall there just so they didn't have to add anymore stuff to the area, but the interesting bit is that they felt the need to put a fence there.

They don't need that fence since the walls already block off the area. It seems like a waste to have those fences.

2. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    There's actually a ton of unseen geometry just... sitting there in the Spagonia hubs. It isn't accessable by normal means, but you can see a TON of modelled city just... out there that's barely seen by going to the Exorcist minigames and using those blue flying dark gaia bads to grab yourself up and out of the invisible walls. I've taken a few photos and videos of it but it's crazy just how much detail is virtually unseen unless you have sonic go WAY up or deliberately glitch yourself into them

3. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Does anyone else think it's weird that in the title and opening cutscene of Sonic CD that the Little Planet is entirely covered in metal, and yet you can see the sky in the levels?

4. Londinium

Londinium

Just how big is Little Planet

5. Pengi

Pengi

The levels aren't set underneath the metal surface. The metallic Little Planet is probably supposed to represent the bad future.

6. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    But Sonic starts in the present, if Little Planet’s present is Earth/Mobius’s past, then logically the present would be called the past. Also, you can still see the sky in the bad futures.

Also, in the good ending cutscene, you see the metal casing break off. That’s not the planet’s surface.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  7. Pengi

Pengi

Why wouldn't Sonic be able to see the sky? The levels aren't underneath the metallic coating, in any time period. It's an abstract representation of a Little Planet conquered by Eggman and his machines. The representation of the Little Planet in the D A Garden differs.

The mechanised Little Planet could be interpreted as either the Present or the Bad Future. The ending has the Eggman tower from Stardust Speedway in the background, before everything collapses and the Little Planet is returned to normal.

8. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

If I had to headcanon an explanation, it might be due to Little Planet's time shenanigans. Like, it was encased in metal at one point in its history, but not during the time periods Sonic explores. Time just flows differently in Little Planet from the rest of the universe, as evidenced from Eggman retrieving Metal Sonic from Little Planet's bad future in S4E2 despite Eggy being in the "present" of Sonic's world. So the time period Sonic was dropped in when he entered Little Planet didn't coincide the time outside of it.

As for when it was encased from the point of view of Little Planet's inhabitants, it was probably in its more distant past when Eggman was sowing his seeds to conquer Little Planet by planting his robot teleporters. At some point between that era and the past period Sonic explores, the shell presumably fell apart from decay. Or was its destruction by Sonic in the ending that caused it? Like I said, time shenanigans :V

Hope reading that didn't give anyone headaches :V

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  9. Londinium

Londinium

How many clocktowers does Spagonia have?

There's a clocktower in the overworld, both for the main area and for the level select. Then there's the ones used in the levels.

All of these clocktowers are different. Rooftop Run day's clocktower is nothing like the night one. Then you have to deal with the issue of the overworld clocktowers. You could shrug off the level select clocktower as noncanon, but you can't for the main area's.

The main area's clocktower is probably also the daytime level clocktower, because I recall an NPC telling Sonic they saw them go down the clock, unless the NPC was actually watching us on a different clock.

This means there's either 2, 3, or 4 different clocktowers in Spagonia.

10. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    On the subject of Rooftop Run, where the hell do that blimp in Gens comes from?
    Seriously, it's nowhere to be seen in Unleashed. And Generations is usually faithful to the original levels so I just don't get why Sonic Team added a blimp of all things to RR, present in both the modern and classic version of the stage.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  11. _Sidle

_Sidle

Balloons that were in the source level are featured a lot more prominently in the level design of Gens Rooftop Run, and iirc tons of hot-air balloons are added in the background scenery that weren't there in the original. Maybe a blimp was chosen to loosely go with the new balloon theming?

12. PhazonHopper

PhazonHopper

Isn't the "blimp" supposed to be Flying Battery? I remember there was some quiz on an old official website that asked which two classic levels Rooftop Run Act 1 referenced and the correct answer was "Hill Top Zone and Flying Battery Zone".

13. RDNexus

RDNexus

I actually thought it was the blimp from SMS Sonic1's Sky Base ^^"
    The design reminds me a lot of that.

14. Londinium

Londinium

>Rooftop Run Act 1

>Hill Top Zone

what

15. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    It's probably referring to the Gondolas.
    [​IMG]

16. Londinium

Londinium

Why would they consider a level set piece a reference? By that logic, essentially every Sonic game after Sonic Adventure 2 is a reference to City Escape because City Escape had rail grinding.

17. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I find odd in S3K that defeating a couple of eggmobiles on a platform under the death egg makes the space station explode and fall again at the end of launch base zone.

18. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Probably because the lifts were a level-specific gimmick, whereas rails were present in plenty of levels in SA2 and after.

19. PhazonHopper

PhazonHopper

Little known fact, City Escape is actually a reference to 81's Donkey Kong because you can jump in it.

20. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

I get the feeling from the way the struts sort of collapse underneath Knuckles that perhaps the Death Egg just wasn't ready yet ? Hence Eggman next stealing the Master Emerald to get it out of the Lava Reef.