don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    There's nothing wrong with asset reuse. It's very useful for developers.

2. From reading/watching new info on the game, I'm actually starting to feel a slight emotion which I think could be called excitement.

Looking forward to seeing more.

3. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  4. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Asset reuse isn't a problem. Level reuse is.

5. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I'm very okay with the reuse of Sky Sanctuary.

I'm not so okay with the possible reuse of Green Hill, and I'm not gonna be so okay with a possible reuse of Chemical Plant.

6. Hmm need to see more.

I'm 100% done with level trope reuse / callbacks so I hope it isn't.

7. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    Yeah, that's just Sky Sanctuary, huh. Oh well, lmao

It sucks to see rehashes but I never minded it too much, just as long as the level design is interesting. If it's a 1:1 of Sonic Gens levels, that kinda stinks.

8. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Except we don't even know if that's Sky Sanctuary. What's making everybody so sure this is the same stage? That big grey thing that only appears in the original level for a few seconds? That could be the Space Colony ARK for all we know. You do realize the series has had several space stations, right?

And even if it was Sky Sanctuary, so what? Why quibble over reuse of assets one way or another. Everybody loved Green Hill's return in Forces, I don't see why this is such a big deal. I bet the same people whining about this were dancing up and down about Hydrocity in Mania being identical to the original.

If it really bothers you that much, just change the settings of your television so the colors look different and add some imagination. Boom, there's your "new level". People are so spoiled nowadays. :doge:

9. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    I've definitely seen people utterly slam Forces for having Green Hill, so maybe not everybody :V

Definitely agree that it's not as big of a deal. Obviously it'd be cooler to see new stuff, but while it doesn't drag down Mania to mostly be old stages (though it is still something people were slightly disappointed in) it somehow drags Modern games down. Someone told me it's because modern Sonic hasn't had many wholly original boost stages lately, which...I guess is fair, but I still don't see the issue all that much. I don't blame people for not being happy, but I also think it comes from a place of people just generally being upset with how Modern's games have been lately. I dunno, the entirety of Frontiers seems pretty fucking original to me, given the whole new setting present as well as the brand new gameplay style. I'm willing to let some reused levels slip, even if it's like "Aw, kinda wish this was something new". Of course, all this changes if the levels are just 1:1, which I'd be a bit more annoyed with.

There's definitely people being very doom-and-gloom with the game when any info drops, which is a bit much. I don't think you have to be super excited for Frontiers, if you watched/saw footage and went "Well, this doesn't look like it appeals to me", that's one thing, but some people on other social media sites are ALREADY writing this off as a big failure, and that Modern Sonic will never be good again, and the series is ruined forever.

EDIT: I realize now that I somehow agreed with a joke post. This is what I get for not reading properly.

10. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    It's not level reuse though. It's asset reuse. As I said earlier, it's not a question as to which option ("reuse the same generic cyberspace assets in every level" or "reuse unique assets from previous games") is the better option.

11. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Were you even on the internet during Forces pre-release?

12. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    pretty sure Beltway is being sarcastic in that post
    I mean, I'd be genuinely concerned if someone unironically thought this was a good defense. Buy the game and simply just imagine that it's something new lmao

13. I will just wait to SEGA officialy post the cyberlevel / action stage gameplay to be 100% sure if I can say it is Sky Sanctuary / Green Hill (plot twist: it could be the same levels lol).

14. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Yeah, they can reuse assets from all the previous Boost games for all I care, as long as they level design is actually new. That matters way more.

Though, now that I say that, imagining all the stages from Unleashed, Colors, Generations, and Forces just shamelessly packed together as cyberspace levels, inadvertently making this into a "Boost game collection" with a huge hub world.....sounds pretty sweet to me in its own right.

Thinking more about this, though, if these "cyberspace levels" are basically existing locations Sonic has visited before, I wonder if there might be some Time Eater or Phantom Ruby-related tomfoolery going on with the plot?

15. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    Wasn't one of the major plot points that Sonic has amnesia? The cyberspace levels could just be trying to jog his memory, in that case.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    That's fair, but I still would like to see something brand new. Feels like budget constraints have severely hampered whatever vision they had for this game.

Time will tell how far they go in either "asset reuse" or "level reuse" directions but it's gonna be a mark against the game either way for me. Not a deal-breaker, but a definite "this is ok but I wish it was different" kind of way.

17. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    It's now been 12 years since we last got a sonic game that didn't recycle zones.

As Aerosol said it's not a dealbreaker for me, but man... what do sonic have to show for this past decade, aesthetically speaking?
    That's what saddens me the most about this whole ordeal: creatively speaking, the series has been at a standstill since 2010.
    We got glimpse of something great with the original stages in Forces and Mania, but they're bogged down by their association to the retro stages in each respective game. We need a fully original game, with no recycled zones.

I can't believe it's something I actually have to wish for sonic of all series, which used to pride itself on its unique aesthetics and soundtracks...

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  18. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    6 years, actually.
    Oh that's actually a fair justification. But it seems that they have by now dropped that plot point and instead gave Amy (and possibly Tails) amnesia, and maybe Sonic's running through these levels to recover their memories.

Regardless, people will innevitably still call out Sonic Team and Sega for their level reuse, no matter the excuse.

19. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    I hope it's not a case of Generations 3D in which they just ported an old layout to the new engine *laughing my fucking ass off*

20. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    "Just buy a Game Boy and imagine it has color."

To be completely honest, at this point I don't care whether levels or assets are reused. What matters most is that Sonic has good controls, is fun to play, and there's a good foundation set for future entries. I figured Generations had already done that over 10 years ago, BUT...I'll take what I can get at this point.