don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. I'd definely abuse all the coins I've got to use in the fucking grey (last) Special Stage from Sonic 2.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Felik

Felik

Really excited for Origins but I have one huge pet peeve. Hitting item boxes from below works like it did in S&K as apposed to how it was in S1-3
    [​IMG]
    It was so much fun to hit item boxed from below in Sonic 1-3 to make them fall down instead of just breaking them + - and potentially killing you   . I know they changed that to account for Death Egg zone's antigravity mechanic except they did it for the whole game for some reason.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. corneliab

corneliab

Hmm, I could see this happening since Super Tails is assumingly still going to be in this version of Sonic 2 (and 1 as well, technically). I didn't think about this before, I wonder what they'll do:

-mobile-style, flicky-less Super Tails with the Chaos Emeralds, flicky-enabled, perhaps now-Hyper Tails with the Super Emeralds
    -Super Tails remains consistent with the originals for S3&K specifically and is unusable at all until the Super Emeralds are collected
    -the above but the super flickies are cut in a bad attempt to be consistent across the remasters (absolute worst-case, borderline unacceptable scenario lmao)

Honestly, I've always liked this behavior. It's convenient to be able to pop them open this way.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    We already know the flickies are in because we’ve seen them in the initial trailer.

5. corneliab

corneliab

Ah my bad. I haven't watched much actual footage of this, or maybe I did at least watch that reveal footage and forgot. This collection has been something that I've mostly been content to just read about.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  6. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

No, Amy just has a new hammer made from two of these duct taped together.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 28
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Reposting some personal thoughts I just posted on Twitter…

having grown up with both sonic 3 only on genesis and s&k collection for pc, it's safe to say I'm more excited for the revamped updated s3k proto ost tracks in origins than I am for most whole ass video games, lol.

it feels like closing the loop on a story that has been a part of my life this whole time. i was always intrigued by the soundtrack differences, and they stuck in my mind more and more as i became interested in VGM as a creative passion, which sonic led me to in the first place.

genesis ice cap music is obviously a devastating loss and the music of genesis launch base is such a big part of why it's one of my all time favorite sonic levels, but the original versions and sonic 3 AIR will never cease to exist, no matter how much sega delists.

this is a chance for another perfectly valid ost to shine, and i'm so excited for sonic fans new and old to [re]discover these zones with sega sound team's honestly more stylistically cohesive take — especially CNZ, which I think is just a brilliant pair of tracks outright.

To expand on that for this post: I think a point bring missed by people who are arguing about which soundtrack is "more valid" or "more original" is that both soundtracks are simply equally valid. It's clear this game had a hectic, rushed, crunch-y development cycle, and that these two soundtracks were mixed together fairly haphazardly. In an ideal world, the whole set of Buxer & co.'s compositions would completely come out of the vault, too, but I really am excited that we're getting a completed version of the Sega Sound Team take on the soundtrack too, just on its own merits.

Anyway… just one week to go!

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Really appreciate that they hired Dorkly to do the trailer. :doge:

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I actually thought this may be a case of the Sega Pico being named the way it is that lead to this.

10. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

put together all the opening animation footage we have so far and it already feels real nice, cant wait for the real thing

11. You just spoke to my heart lmao

Genesis Launch Base fans unite!!

12. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

Yeah!!! Even my Wi-Fi SSID is named Launch Base Zone, lol…

(Though to be clear I also have a lifelong softspot for PC/proto LBZ.)

13. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Still holding out hope that they let us play in 16:9 with lives and don't keep lives gated to classic mode. Makes no sense since the initial remasters were in widescreen with lives, so it should be here. Let us pick and choose. Widescreen with lives or coins and 4:3 with lives or coins.

14. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Sega are a stubborn and foolish bunch, as much as I want the same as you, I think we're gonna have to wait for modders to step in and do something about it. And with Denuvo's obfuscation, we're gonna have to wait for them to take it out like they did in Mania, if they feel generous enough to a second time around.

Not to get too off-topic, but Denuvo is the reason I didn't buy Mania day-one, which I originally planned to until the DRM news broke. I later played Mania at a friend's house, and turns out I don't like it very much, so now I won't buy it at all (or even pirate it for that matter). Sega could've had my money, but now they don't. I can't be the only one (even if I'm in the minority here).

Despite Origins' apparent shortcomings, I am actually interested in it unlike Mania because I like the original games, but 40 bucks in this economy is asking far too much for a repackage of remasters I already bought years ago. And again, no sale from me until and if Denuvo's patched out.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  15. RikohZX

RikohZX

People can still mod in spite of Denuvo, so long as Sega designed the overall wrapper and program's files competently and not as a heap of nonsense and encryption or compression of its own.

16. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

I can see this being the case after all museum stuff is unlocked and maybe after every game has been full cleared once

buuuut probably not at release

i’d expect it to be in an eventual update a little like how Mania Plus’ Combi Pinball machine was used to fix Base Mania’s previously useless-once-finished bonus stages

17. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    I mean lets be honest, it will take what? a few days/weeks to mod in the MJ soundtrack? I dont really see the big deal tbh, the guys at Sonic A.I.R have done a great job remastering the soundtrack including finding higher quality samples of some used by Jacksons team, including directly ripping the "JAM!" section and the glass smashes from In the Closet, so I'm pretty sure people can port over that or the original.

18. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I was talking about the lives system. I'm one of those weirdos who massively prefers the SST tracks over the Jackson tracks.

19. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    ahh ok my bad, sorry.

Thats cool, if you grew up with it/prefer it then thats your preference ^_^ I dont mind a few tracks, especially since the beta got leaked, they sound great on the Megadrive hardware, I especially like Carnival Night act 2 and the knuckles theme

20. Hydra Spectre

Hydra Spectre

Tails Fan Member
    Unpopular opinion but I will be very happy if they used cleaned-up (with better instruments) PC General MIDI music for Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

The MIDI soundtrack has always been a controversial favourite of mine as it sounds much cleaner and more advanced than the Genesis FM synth. It sounds like if Sonic 3 & Knuckles was ported to the PS1.
    I always thought of MIDI as being cheap and lazy since the local TV shows in my place use the fakest and cheapest sounding MIDI synths imaginable, but I started liking MIDI more and more as I have been getting into retro PC games like DOOM and Duke Nukem 3D. Star Wars: Dark Forces is also another great MIDI soundtrack that even changes depending on what's happening in the game.

MIDI sounds great with the right soundfonts.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022