don't click here

Unpopular Sonic Opinions

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Londinium, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    What are your unpopular Sonic opinions? You know, opinions like 'Sonic Mania is trash' or 'Sonic Mania is not the real Sonic 4' or 'Sonic Mania only appeals to the lowest common denominators' or 'Classic Amy isn't cute' or 'Amy's relationship with Sonic is essentially the same as Pepe Le Pew's relationship with Penelope Pussycat except people think Pepe Le Pew is weird but Amy is funny and adorable'. You know, opinions that may or may not get your head chopped off.

Personally, one of my unpopular opinions is that Metropolis Zone in Sonic 2 isn't even that hard. The level is so damn linear that after a few tries you'll essentially stick to one path and fully expect whatever dumbfuckery some developer in 1992 put in. The Asterons aren't that hard to dodge. Half of the time they don't activate and the other half you'll either run past them or, if you're on the giant screws, you'll just stop running for a few seconds and wait for their projectiles to pass.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Doesn't this topic already exist buried somewhere?

3. Londinium

Londinium

The only thread I found which was talking about unpopular opinions was some thread about the Game Scoop! video 'Sega doubles down on Sonic.'

4. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I think Marble Zone, Labyrinth Zone, and Sandopolis Zone are pretty fun.

I think it's totally fine for Green Hill Zone to keep coming back.

5. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Special Stages are never good. They can only be harmless at-best if they're not required to get a special ending. Randomly switching the gameplay to a one-and-done challenge where you have a totally different set of controls and mechanics to keep track of and you have to fulfill weird arbitrary stage requirements to retry is just dumb. I long for a Sonic Heroes mod that just distributes the things after boss fights (probably 2 per story except Team Dark, since Shadow has the green one).

6. This topic is a little Reddit-y, but I’ll go ahead since I never participate in ones there lol.

Unpopular Sonic opinions:
    Unleashed’s drift is cooler than Generation’s.

Sonic 06 has examples of top-tier 3D Sonic level design (not the entire package - just certain stages).

Pepe Le Pew is hilarious and any offense displayed by people is purely performative.

Marble Zone is pretty fun and detractors ignore that every block ride but 1 can be skipped.

I’d much rather a 3D Sonic game designed by Yasuhara than anything else from Evening Star, current Sonic Team, etc.

I despise the art style of Sonic Unleashed’s NPCs.

The entire Sonic canon should be rebooted.

The Sonic OVA has my favorite interpretations of the characters and the world.

Special stages don’t deserve the hate they receive… and I actually like the ones in Sonic 4.

7. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    The Sonic Boom character designs are really cool and I'm tired of pretending they're not.
    They aren't suited to replace the regular designs of course, but I really wouldn't mind more spinoffs using the boom designs just because I think they look great.

Sonic's extra spines and bandana are awesome, Tails' design in general suits the 500 IQ scientist vibe much more than his original design ever did, plus his gloves look really cool, and Amy is just adorable and I love her outfit.
    As for the complaints, starting with Sonic's blue arms, which is stupid and I don't think I even have to explain why, a lot of people hate Knuckles' design too, but honestly it fits the lovable doofus personality he's been given recently quite a bit and honestly the design works really well for that personality and he looks stronger than OG Knuckles ever did.
    My only real complaint myself would be the excessive use of sports tape that ends up being pretty useless, but that's just a nitpick really.

8. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    There has never been a bad vocal performance for Eggman/Robotnik. Each actor is memorable and brings something interesting and unique to the character - Long John Baldry's tRRRRRils and cartoonish flamboyance, Jim Cumming's more sinister take in SatAM, Deem Bristow's dramatic grandiose in the Adventure era, Mike Pollock's range and overall friendly pompousness befitting of a longtime adversary, Jim Carrey being Jim Carrey, the list goes on. I've enjoyed hearing and seeing every one of his actors.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Agreed all the English Robotniks are great.

Hmmm, unpopular opinions.

• 06's soundtrack isn't that great, some songs are fine but eh, just find that soundtrack weaker than other games.
    • Meanwhile I find Sonic R's music unironically good
    • Riders makes more sense for a Sonic racing series than the Mario Kart clones. ASRT was great but it's been done, just a shame after Riders 1 things went off the rails

10. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    This...is not a Sonic opinion, and I'm not really sure you're in a place to declare other people's opinions disingenuous.
    I agree with this, to a degree. There are a lot of elements of those designs that I think should be more incorporated into SEGA's designs, but I'm not a huge fans of the Boom looks themselves. I don't need Knuckles to be five feet tall or whatever, but making him wider is a good idea for diversifying character design. I don't think his current look really communicates strength or fighting other than the gloves. Sonic could use more fringe quills to fit into his wild (and..."hedgehoggy"?) nature, as well as keeping people from thinking his hair is an actual part of his skull and flesh. Tails's goggles should be a part of his regular design. Ironically, Amy was probably received the best on-reveal just for not having any sports tape, but I think in retrospect her design is actually my least favorite of the bunch. Her new dress is shorter and doesn't flare out, and while that helps with the upskirt problem from SEGA's normal output, her smaller shoes, longer legs and really long leg-warmers make her torso just look too small. She looks both under- and over-dressed.
    Is this really unpopular? I don't think I've really ever heard complaints about Eggman's voice the way I have other characters. Eggman is the consistently best acted -- and written character in the whole show. If I had to declare a weak link among the bunch, I'd say Garry Chalk in Underground never quite managed to be as wacky as Baldry or as menacing as Cummings, but he's still not bad.

11. Sonic Robo Blast 2 is the best Sonic game ever made. In my opinion, it’s actually the only good.

I would be completely, perfectly fine if Sonic games never had boss fights ever again.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  12. Londinium

Londinium

Not entirely sure if this is unpopular, but I'd say Sonic Unleashed is equally, if not more, fun to play without boosting. Sure, it's fun to absolutely demolish everything in your path at super speed, but sometimes it's just as nice to just jog through the levels.

Seriously, boot up Rooftop Run and go through without boosting. You'll see just how beautiful the level is. So much detail crammed into a 2008 game. Sonic doesn't even control that bad, the turns in the levels are usually wide enough so that you can turn without even drifting.

13. Sonic Lost World OST is better than the Sonic Colors'.

Bye.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oooofff there's a doozy lol

15. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    This is the first one that really got me in this thread. Like what.
    The entire point of the boost games is to move through the levels in one motion as fast as possible.

I'm at a loss for words, no offense.

16. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    Sonic is actually fun. :eng101:

17. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    Sandopolis is the best S3K zone

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    ...That's unpopular? Because I mean. It's fantastic.

19. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Sonic 3K has many levels that are quite boring.

20. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    The Fleetway setting is the better than the canon games, its way grittier and darker. It handled Robotnik and Metal Sonic (Metallix) better than the games.

Sonic Spinball is underrated. And its not even that difficult.

Some of the 8-bit games are genuinely great games, I have a lot of time for Sonic Chaos, Sonic Triple Trouble and Sonic Drift 2.

The Barrel of Doom was never a problem and I figured it out when I was 8 years old on my first try.