don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. I'd assume that Jun will have listened to all versions available, including the PC midis, to determine how to finally complete them in a fashion that suits the Genesis. Still the exact same unfinished songs though, and since those are the only songs deemed necessary to refine, then there clearly aren't any versions that were deemed complete.

2. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Ehh, not quite. Some of the proto tracks have some significant compositional differences, even whole key changes. Like LBZ2 for instance, you'd have to be deaf not to hear the difference between these two:

Sparks also posted a comparison of CNZ1 on page 164.

3. Yeah, I hope and suspect that the refined compositions will be very good. I honestly doubt Carnival Night will change too much as that one's prototype form got some good reception online when compared to the other proto zone tracks.

My main curiosity is actually now with Music Slots 26, 2E and DC...

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Mine is subtle hope that they'll use the opportunity to give Super a unique theme in S3K, like that unused theme.

5. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

I think this is well said. In this spirit I will cease further debate on the subject.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  6. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I miss when this forum used to automatically cull excessive quote nests. The above is nigh-unreadable.

In any case, I'm really hoping that these new versions of the tracks turn out well. A week has never felt longer in my life. :P

7. SEGACast

SEGACast

I had a dream that I met Jun Senoue.

Somehow, I could drive to Japan by car (it only took several hours, too!) and he just happened to be walking around.

Bad news though, I didn't know enough Japanese to ask him any questions regarding the prototype tracks.

He did seem like a nice guy, however.

Maybe a continuation will happen at some point, and I'll get another chance! Haha.

8. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    I met Jun Senoue once and somehow it wasn't a dream.

I asked him if he composed the Act Clear jingle. He said he couldn't answer. At first I heard it as a yes because the convention noise was very loud but then he corrected me and I felt embarrassed.

EDIT: got this tho
    [​IMG]

9. Simon A.C. Martin

Simon A.C. Martin

Fixing railways
    My apologies for asking a really basic question - but feeling a bit confused at the music issue, which seems rather complex!

My go-to game is Sonic 3 & Knuckles (UK release), which had Sonic 3 on the top of the Sonic & Knuckles cartridge on the Megadrive.

If we play this specific game setup in the Sonic Origins collection, will it be

1) exactly the same music wise as that I had as a kid

or

2) tracks will have been replaced due to whatever issue there is with copyright

Is that correct? Or is this entirely specific to Sonic 3, and any playthrough of Sonic 3 & Knuckles will entirely familiar?

10. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    OST in origins will be taken from PC version (S&K collection). It's also used in early prototypes:

All difference in Knux, ice cap, launch base, carnival night, credits, and comp. mode themes.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. RDNexus

RDNexus

It'll affect both Sonic3 and S3K. The tracks are from Carnival Night, Ice Cap, Launch Base, Competition Mode, Knuckles Theme and Credits Theme.
    Knuckles Theme could be switched with the S&K/S3K variant, but the others will have new tracks, derived from the prototype Sonic3 tracks.

It's been said Jun Senoue will remaster the themes present in Sonic3 Proto using the original song tapes.
    Hopefully, said themes will sound WAY better than those heard on S&K Collection on PC.

• List
  12. _Sidle

_Sidle

Some Megadrive tracks are getting replaced. Specifically the CNZ, ICZ, LBZ, and Competition Menu done by MJ's team. The rest will likely be some kind of mixture of the &K tracks you know (Miniboss, Boss, Knuckles, Invincibility), the uncompromised S3 tracks you mostly know (all other zone themes are fine, S3 title theme is being used instead of &K), and redone PC/proto tracks that you likely don't know.

S3&K might also be permanently combined?? We haven't seen any options for it to be split up yet iirc. If there is a way to split it, the S3 Credits tune done by MJ's team will also get replaced by a redone PC/proto track.

• List
  13. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    I belive in Jun. He's S3D tracks is a masterpiece.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  14. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    i hope Jun removes all the music. i am so tired of not being able to play sonic games in silence. and he is a man of reason so we will see.

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Well as long as Sega didn't fuck up implementing global game options, you can just mute the bgm volume entirely :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Well, this topic is a place as good as any for me to drop my own smps renditions of LBZ2 and CNZ2 since I mentioned them before.

17. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Well count me as one of those nitpicky people who will be online complaining about the music then because that's an L.

Edit : He never said in his tweet that they will be using the prototype songs. He said they will sound familiar but that could mean he's being inspired by them and making songs that actually sound finished to replace them.

18. RDNexus

RDNexus

Did you read my previous post? Or any of the prior conversations here? Or that very tweet all the way to the end?
    It's been said they have the original song tapes of the themes heard in Proto Sonic3, and Senoue will work on those to get them as alike the others kept in the game.
    Why the need for new themes when there's been original ones all along?

19. After listening to the proto and release-tracks again, I think I will be pretty happy with saying goodbye to the MJ team's contributions for this release. Listening to them again makes me notice how out of place they really sound amongst the Sega-composed tracks, so this may ultimately serve to give us a more cohesive experience. That is, of course, assuming that the new arrangements of the proto-tracks are well done.

Ice Cap will be missed, but I think the increased variation we will receive for the Act 2 arrangements will outweigh that for me. We super-fans still have the Mega Drive releases, Jam, and Mega Collection, so it's not like those who care have no access to the original. Furthermore, I don't think the loss of the release-tracks will diminish the new fans the series may receive from actually having Sonic 3 available on modern platforms.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  20. Simon A.C. Martin

Simon A.C. Martin

Fixing railways
    I have mixed feelings about the music now I am aware of the changes being made. However, I will likely still buy it for the chance to play them all plus Sonic CD together, so it's not a deal breaker.

Even so, a shame after all of these years that they haven't been able to sort out something as basic as a settlement in order to reproduce fully the original experience. That means I suppose the next closest things are the mega collections on Gamecube and the original Xbox that were released for a "proper" Sonic 3 & Knuckles experience, outside of the megadrive itself.

Perhaps my MegaRetron purchase last year was more timely than I imagined!