don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. RikohZX

RikohZX

That was probably me that said that. Honestly we have no proof of it, but I estimate the completed sprite assets for Sonic in Origins 3&K (from what little we've seen in regards to the springs of Angel Island that normally make his "traced over Sonic 2 / prototype sprites" nature apparent) come from A+ rather than Sonic 3 Complete at least.

I can imagine the devs are totally free to reference fan assets, just not directly use them or so forth. I just wonder how much "new" is there or potentially things left on the old cutting room floor; we've seen them reference and recreate beta elements wholesale with 1 and 2, even if not directly implemented into regular playthroughs, after all.

2. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I wonder if Jun is aware of the proto (official FM versions) of the tapes for the PC songs he's using too. Having Carnival Night 2 and Launch Base 2 reverted to the state in the PC version (or even Sonic 3 Complete) would be a real shame.

The guys working on arranging the tracks for the Mega Drive changed them so much that transformed the compositions.

3. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    You really think that? I thought Carnival Night Act 2 and both acts of Launch Base, at the very least, sound better in Sonic 3 Complete than the protos.

4. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

I’ve always gotten the impression Jun’s not as out of the loop on what’s going on in the community as you might think.

But even then, if he’s spoken to anyone else on the Headcannon team or even just the fans in other positions at Sega privy to what he was on board for, I’m almost certain the prototype build leak as potential reference material would have come up

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Loop

Loop

Pure of Heart. Dumb of Ass. Member
    Jesus Christ, a man does not become SEGA's Music Director out of thin air.

• Agree Agree x 17
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    The first modern FM songs we got in the franchise only appeared in Sonic Forces and those were made by Ohtani and Hataya.

S4 Ep1 uses stock Korg instruments and Ep2 uses that default Vacuum VST included in Pro Tools. I think Jun is an excellent composer and arranger but the last FM arrangements he made were for Sonic 3D blast more than 25 years ago in 1996.

And being honest, the last time he finalized a Genesis song for inclusion in a newer game didn't go well.

He took this unfinished song he composed himself:

Used this tape as a reference:

And made this arrangement for Sonic 4:

I won't lie and say I'm not worried. However, S4 Ep2 arrangements sound much better and even though the instruments don't sound Genesis-y. I'd be more comfortable if they went with Yuzo Koshiro, but again, I'm extremely anxious to listen to the final results :3

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. nesboy43

nesboy43

Please explain. Thank you.

8. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

Multiple posters have shown you the retro wiki article compiling all available information, including the interview with the composers from 2016 but you still keep saying the composers sued Sega. There isn't any evidence that ever happened.

9. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Actually, there is:

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    I wasn't accusing Jun of being a hack, I was asking an honest question. Good god.

11. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

It's irresponsible to suggest the composers were responsible for this, especially when 2 of them have passed away without any evidence of this coming to light aside from some off-hand comments made through community members directly reaching out to them. When interviewed in 2016 by Huffington Post, nothing about lawsuits or royalties. I think this was the Jackson Estate and if the composers were involved it was at their behest.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  12. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    It’s Headcannon that will have implemented the music into the game. They’re all passionate fans and I’m sure they would’ve said “yo, shit’s whack” if the new old tracks weren’t up to snuff. Whether such feedback would’ve been acted on is another question, but I don’t think Sonic 4 tier instrumentation would make it through without at least raising eyebrows.

13. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Not necessarily. SEGA themselves updated all the songs in Sonic 1 & 2 to use Genesis recordings instead of the Taxman remasters. For all we know Headcannon could have submitted the game with the untouched soundtrack and SEGA could have swapped the OGGs later.

We know Stealth saw an early implementation of Origins as he mentioned "he was glad SEGA took his feedback on the island positioning." He could have confirmed the fate of the soundtrack just then.

I don't think we'll get Sonic 4. I'm just pointing to the fact there's a precedent to be worried, even though I'm hopeful the songs will be fine.

14. RDNexus

RDNexus

Still, I wonder why the remastered Classics don't have the remastered tracks.
    Aren't said tracks good enough to be a part of Origins?

15. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    This is the make-or-break for me. The PC versions sound awkward and rough, while the proto versions sound rough in their own way, but much further towards being polished and proper songs. The difference between this is most evident in how Carnival Night Act 1 plays, from the literal first instruments you hear:

If we end up with something closer to the PC version, it'll be... Very unfortunate.

16. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie

Honestly, the PC version tracks, ESPECIALLY Carnival Night Act 1, is not acceptable. I don't know how they screwed it up that badly from the Prototype version, but they did.

17. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Well, I did it: I delayed it more than expected, but I'm now one of those sinners that have purchased the digital deluxe package on Steam. You can throw me tomatoes and shout "Booo!" as much as you want. Don't expect me to try it day 1, though, I only wanted to secure the pre-order.

18. RDNexus

RDNexus

I'm sure people can turn an eye on that sin of yours...
    If you were kind enough to provide vids of the extras, that is :V

19. I pre-ordered digital deluxe a long time ago.

Luckily for me though, the day it drops I'll have the entire day to play it :eng101:

20. nesboy43

nesboy43

No one has sent me to the Sonic retro wiki. What are the legal issues then with the soundtrack?