don't click here

Eternal Champions cheat (or not)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Bobblen, Jun 14, 2022.

1. Bobblen

Bobblen

Continuing my never ending quest to find push button codes for Sega games to add to the wiki, I've come across an odd one. Eternal Champions for Mega Drive (which I remember being ridiculously hard when I rented it back in the day, but you know, it had a comic in Sonic the Comic so I had to have it!).

A bunch of sites list a low damage cheat which appears to be complete rubbish like so many others listed on the cheat sites. There's even a topic on Sega16 which says it's rubbish. But then I find this bizarre 'blog' claiming they got it to work in the genesis classics version. Is this really a fake blog to promote a fake cheat? Just seems like such a strange thing to go to the trouble of making up, as surely the only people even remotely interested these days are people like me that want to document this stuff. The bit about 'it's worked if the character does such and such on the logo' is clearly nonsense, it just describes Blade's standard logo animation.

I just wondered if a) anyone has ever pulled it off and can recreate it or b) if anyone good at using emulator debuggers can see if the game is polling for input at all on the Sega logo.

SEGA Mega Drive & Genesis Classics - Eternal Champion Secret Code (gameplay.tips)

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It's probably a better idea at this stage to trawl through magazine scans for cheat codes rather than the internet. I suspect they might be more reliable, although you might also find the code is exclusive to certain versions.

This isn't an indication of the code's success, but I can see how someone might think it was. Each of the main cast has their own Sega logo, but it looks like their victory celebration is randomised(?), meaning rather than there being nine intros like YouTube compilations suggest, there's technically 18. Or at least more than 9 (I don't have time to check) - sometimes Blade punches the air, sometimes he takes off his glasses, but everything up until that point plays out identically.

And if you're playing on an emulator and performing hard resets all the time, you might not even notice there's more than one.

3. Bobblen

Bobblen

Yeah, definitely starting to hit diminishing returns after knocking off some of the more obvious gaps. Any recommendations for good english language magazine scans on the wiki to pick through?

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I must admit I've never sat down and looked specifically for cheat codes - I'd probably start with GamePro (US) or Electronic Gaming Monthly (or their off-shoots), as American mags were really big into their fighting games in the mid-1990s (and as the most popular gaming mags in the country, is the most likely place where cheats were copied from).

That being said, I have more faith in the Japanese magazines being right because they'd usually show screenshots. Eternal Champions is a big enough game that I'd expect most mainstream video games magazines to latch onto any cheats... if they exist.

According to us, Eternal Champions was released in late 1993, so I'd say if you can't find any evidence in the first six months of 1994, chances are Sega didn't "officially" release any codes.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  5. Bobblen

Bobblen

Thanks! I didn't mean trying to find a specific game, that's a needle in a haystack that even I don't have time for, but scanning through them looking for stuff that isn't already recorded. A few people seem to already be doing that with the Beep stuff, but I think that one is Japanese language.

Ooh, getting close. Got the fatalities right here. Also an advert on every odd numbered page, good grief. The UK mags weren't quite that bad
    File:EGM US 056.pdf - Sega Retro

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022