don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Holy fuck man, the enemies / bosses design are absolute my favorite thing of this game. They looks so creative and unique!

2. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

A bunch of gameplay videos from Gematsu, it's the same gameplay from the Easy Allies video but without commentary.

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  3. The build they’re playing is newer than the IGN footage considering Sonic actually has the rail switch animation for going to the right, so that’s nice. I never expected them to screw up so badly that that wouldn’t be addressed, but I’m still shocked that they would include that in the initial reveal.

Edit: Said left when I meant right.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
  4. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I love love love this footage.
    I'm still bummed about the zone recycling but this gameplay looks even better than the ign footage, and this already had me hyped in spades. Can't wait to see more.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    So I was correct in assuming there was a better version of the game. Better than the IGN footage.

6. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

At the end of this video, you can hear what I assume is the voice of the rumored ghost lady.

7. MH MD

MH MD

Just quick demonstration of the difference between IGN build and Today's build

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Such smart marketing SEGA :ruby:

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. LucasMadword

LucasMadword

LucasSaturn Member
    I don't even know what to think anymore. If there are Generation-esque levels too, plus an open world that seems to be much improved, then what is this marketing? This game is sounding better and better as we learn more, but the fact they thought the original footage was acceptable to show is just baffling.

Thanks to this marketing, I'll likely not buy it at launch and will hold off until some gameplay videos come in. If they would've lead with this footage instead, I'd not have been so jaded. It just looks like a mishmash of Sonic 06 and Generations, two of the games in the series I love. Like if they *do* pull this off, this game could be really great.

I'm just confused now.

9. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    These new previews sound great and are exactly what I was hoping to hear. I think this game sounds awesome so far.

10. Snowbound

Snowbound

11. RDNexus

RDNexus

Indeed, these ~5min of gameplay footage seemed way more interesting and enticing than what was first shown.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    I remember the original 4chan leak said the opening tutorial was the blandest segment and last about 15-30 minutes, and once it ended the game really opened up. In the Eazy Allies preview, they mention how they hated how the game was constantly pausing to tell you some tutorial thing, the they mention that their "30-minute" gameplay time ended just as it opened up. They also mentioned that all the areas we've basically seen so far, from the previews, is from this little tutorial portion of the map. That 4chan leak also said the actual game world is insanely massive.

So I'm guessing what we've seen in these previews is probably the most basic, hand-holdy, and blandest area of the game, much like how the opening plateau for Zelda: BotW is. The one constant in these previews thus far has been glowing praise of the actual gameplay loop, so if this is all just a tutorial area, I'm pretty stoked about what the actual meat of the game will look like.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  13. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I think the issue is Iizuka doesn't understand the criticisms of the game and is putting too much stock into the vocal cries for momentum, which isn't what the game needs at this juncture. Painful as it'd be, I would rather receive the game in February 2023 with more polish to the animations and additional time spent on asset streaming and management to eliminate the egregious pop in. If this is the state the (presumably) PS5 version is in, then I seriously worry for the Switch version.

At any rate, I'm glad to see a generally warm, albeit lowkey, response to the demo. Combat continues to look like a strong bedrock for this game and I think we've still barely scratched the surface of enemy variety. Between this and a predicted 28 action stages, Frontiers could shape up to be the best 3D Sonic period. I'd love nothing more than for this to be a strong foundation for future entries, which should take the time and effort to overhaul the movement system in favour of something more free-form and closer to the Adventure titles that would allow the level automation on show in some areas to be pared down in favour of a freer experience.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. Noticed HUD is still disabled, so.. does that mean the build from those videos were just a little older than the SGF demo or it's just the same but with UI disabled?

Either way, the actual build looks so much better than the previous IGN video. Now we just the Unleashed-Generations-ish stages.
    That's exactly why I think we need a trailer (an actual one).

• List
  15. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I found a picture of Takashi Iizuka
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 13
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Interview with Iizuka.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. RDNexus

RDNexus

If the game world is as massive as rumors state, I wonder how the Classics's islands could look like if remade in this format and context ^^"

18. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    Sega really sat on actual footage that looks fine and good for a week while going "Yeah, drop the shit that's way earlier"?

Man, this game's sure got some great marketing, huh?

19. Snowbound

Snowbound

Agreed. Anyone else notice how Iizuka avoided directly responding to the interviewers question of whether or not Iizuka has the power to delay the game: “We asked Iizuka what he felt about the recent #DelaySonicFrontiers hashtag on social media, and whether he was actually in a position to delay the game if he wasn’t entirely happy with it. However, Iizuka claimed that this wasn’t an issue, because the development team are happy with the game as it stands.”