don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Ok, fair.

Still, you are a Sonic developer, and so I still find that significant.

2. Blast Brothers

Blast Brothers

I wonder how close the "FM makeover" will be to the proto tracks. I can't imagine that Senoue's workflow will be anything like it was then, and surely the original project files are long gone from Sega.
    I also don't know if he would really feel beholden to match versions of those songs that were never released.

3. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    I mean, "SEGA Developer", he may have more information than us surely, but it still good ol' Stealth (Wanna call it Headcannon go ahead)... I feel it was yesterday that I saw Megamix and E02/HeadCannon Game Engine topics on the other subforum lol :V

Ha I got ninj'ed while writing! I keep telling people that, over and over.

Jokes aside... I don't mind the original tracks at all. In fact, I think that Carnival is 100% better, Icecap is alright, and Launchbase? I love both, I'm gonna miss the sample usage (was very distinct for Launchbase in particular with the go's)... but I'm good with all the original tracks. Hopefully the FM Makeover is enough to make them feel genesis-like at least.

Worse case scenario, people will find a way to mod them to their original tracks anyways :shrugh:

4. ELS

ELS

PC wins again, the music mods will be out in a week.

5. Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  6. Turbohog

Turbohog

I'm excited to hear the new renditions! But I hope to God they sound nothing like Sonic 4.

7. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    F to Ice Cap.

I grew up with the S&K Collection, so I'm fine with Beta CN and LB. I can also tolerate Beta Ice Cap, but will definitely mod the original in ASAP.

8. I'm just glad SEGA gave a chance to Jun Senoue re-work with the "prototype" songs. It have been really a while since Jun Senoue worked with music for a Classic Sonic game, so I really want to see how things work out.

9. Garth

Garth

I've spent some time looking at the latest with regards to the situation with the Sonic 3 music in this release.

As I'm sitting here I am actually quite excited to hear the different music perhaps only out of curiosity and novelty of the implementation being completely alternative to any other version of sonic 3 we have had in the past.

As S3&K is my favourite Sonic game by some distance though, I have the sinking feeling that when the cold light of day hits as I see our man grab that snowboard not to the tune we all know and love, it could lead to some pretty visceral disappointment when I realise the game we know and love has (in some ways), fundamentally changed forever, for better of for worse, (at least in an official sense).

Still to this day, as a Star Wars guy, I find myself looking for the old versions of the movies which to many an old fossil like me, are the superior versions ( For example: The removal of the song "Yub Nub" at the end of Return of the Jedi being a great point of contention for many fans of those movies.) I hope this is just me worrying too much but I do worry...

I guess we will see very soon which way the wind blows...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

I'm going to miss the old Ice Cap and I hope that the intro of Launch Base's music gets reworked, but that's honestly it. I always thought the "Michael Jackson" music was off and unfitting.

11. Dehry

Dehry

Ohio
    Sega not checking if they had the rights to music isn't anything new to them. Just look at Sonic Spinball a couple months prior.

12. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Based on my experience reading posts here (And generally comments elsewhere online too.) over the years up to today, I think I'm one of the few people who actually really likes the intro of proto' Launch Base Zone: Act 1. In fact, I'm very fond of the entire track overall! Act 2 is definitely a very solid track too, and proto' Carnival Night Zone: Act 2 is tied as my second favourite track alongside final Hydrocity Zone: Act 2 out of all tracks in the Sonic 3 portion, beaten only by "Big Arm(s)" at the top spot for me in the Sonic 3 portion.

Sure, proto' Launch Base Zone: Act 1's intro may be a tad cheesey, however I can't ever agree that it's "cringe" or "awful" or such. Granted, I do have a general leniency and tolerance for corny music (I totally dig various country genre songs and various MIDI tracks from old computer games for example.), but still...

... I hope the refinements to it by Jun Senoue didn't alter the intro too heavily, or worse yet omit the intro entirely. It's a nice little introduction segment to branch into the main melodies.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  13. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie

Also, I'll just say it now since you've finally popped in.

Thanks for all you've done over the past decade for these projects. We're a fussy bunch, but to me you're a true hero to this community that hasn't gotten enough credit/praise at times. I've been following the scene since 98 with some of your earliest work, not to mention since the original Sonic 3 pitch in 2014. Seeing you finally complete this trilogy (plus Mania) means a lot to me, and I hope that once all the usual prattle calms down, this helps further elevate your career and talents. They deserve some serious recognition as the rest of us speculate what else may still be hiding in these versions.

• Agree Agree x 24
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  14. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    Whatever you say, Sega :V

+ - omfg its the man himself  

15. Garth

Garth

Cheers for everything Stealth :)

Nice to see you posting !

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  16. nesboy43

nesboy43

Not the original soundtrack in my favorite game soundtrack of all time. Absolutely devastating news. This collection has so much amazing potential, it's like 90% a dream come true but with a few major shortcomings.

I'll buy this when mods are out for original soundtrack, 16:9 classic mode, and separate sonic 3 and knuckles games.

Not hating on the devs who made it, thank you for making this project. Just disapointed with Sega's poor decision making.

This could be a slam dunk and definitive Sonic Collection, now it's more likely just a good baseline for mods to finish these shortcomings.

17. RikohZX

RikohZX

I mean, if Sega has to change the music, then one way or another this isn't really something Sega can do much about besides their current solution. This isn't a simple licensing fee problem like how Rockstar and these other companies keep releasing new versions of old things and refusing to shell out the money for the songs again.

Blame whoever decided to put the MJ Sound Team music into the game at the last minute at Sega in 1994 rather than the Sega of today for this decision. Blame Modern Sega more for their withholding the info until like two weeks before release.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. nesboy43

nesboy43

Isn't this whole thing due to Sega not compensating the composers of the game? Sounds like it's Sega's fault entirely.

19. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Since others have chimed in, I will do the same. Thank you, and amazing work, Headcannon team! Looking forward to seeing everything the remaster has in store; it's definitely been a long time coming.

20. Harper

Harper

Thank you Headcannon team! I still can't believe we're finally getting a remaster of Sonic 3. It feels like the petitions for Sonic 3 Remastered were only a couple of years ago. It's nice seeing this finally become a reality. The first thing I'm doing in Origins is heading straight to Sonic 3.