don't click here

Tails Tube

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Mar 24, 2022.

1. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

Yeah, you also can't save it to watch later for some reason.

2. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Because Watch Later is a playlist from the perspective of Youtube, so it could let you bypass the restriction of adding videos "Made for Kids" to a playlist by adding it to Watch Later and then adding it to a different playlist from the Watch Later playlist. Seems like it took them a minute to change that.

Don't ask me why they don't let you add them to playlists, it does not make sense to me either.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    I know of a workaround to this.

When you search up a video, find it in your recommended, or have it in your history, locate the 3 dots to the side that represent the options button. From there, videos flagged 'for kids' can be added to your playlists.

For example, here's me putting a video of Sonic Says into a playlist via my history feed.

[​IMG]

If this gets fixed soon after this post goes up, I'm blaming someone here for telling YouTube.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  4. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Episode 2 is up!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Nice to see that the Robotnik name is still in canon (shouldn't be much doubt since Gerald is tied to it, but I digress). Also nice to see G.U.N. back in the picture.

6. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Orbot, once more, proves himself to be one of the superior Sonic characters

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  7. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

Something I noticed after I uploaded a mini tweet vid of the Kung Fu Tails.

https://twitter.com/DaveLuty/status/1534933874869948416 (Turn down headphones).

Tails actually twists his wrist/arms as he punches... That's... what most Martial arts train you in how you should punch since it increases your accuracy and power.

Sonic Retro... Tails... actually does know Kung Fu!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Not really a fan of the Eggman name origin story. I don’t think it needed an explanation. Or if it did, it didn’t have to tie back to Sonic.
    Eggman is a quirky big-ego character. If he picked a nickname then it would be something he created to match his ambitions. It feels out of character for him to take something from Sonic.

I think sometimes you can over-explain things. There are some things that a better left unsaid.

Also, how does this explain Nega? He's upset that Eggman ruined the family name. But if it's just a nickname, why is Nega still using it?

9. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    This isn't new info, it's been a thing for yeeeeeears. Also I think Tails Tube isn't just here to tidy up lore for long time fans, but also to give newer fans cliff notes introductions to the setting, especially off the back of the movie, which will have brought in a lot of new blood.

10. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I thought it was only implied in the SA1 dub, when Sonic takes a dig at Eggman (and even then it's only implied. You could easily assume that Eggman came up with name and was using it prior and Sonic was just mocking it in that scene).
    These Tails Tubes get released in Japan, and are probably the canon going forward, so it's a bit weird that a dub alteration is getting canon status!

11. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    The thing with the "Eggman" nickname is that his weapons are often called "Egg something" prior to Adventure 1. He is actually called Eggman since Sonic 1. So I guess he adopted this nickname prior to Sonic 1, since the first game states it was not their first encounter.

12. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    That's a fair point. Given there's no in-game dialogue in the core games before Adventure, it's entirely feasible that Sonic had been calling Robotnik by the Eggman name since the early days.

13. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Even if you go by localizations, the whole Eggman as a nickname thing is pretty weird. In Generations Classic Tails calls Eggman Robotnik, implying that that's what he was referred to as during the classic era. But then Classic Eggman says "I haven't been called that in a long time", indicating that he was indeed called Eggman back in the day.

14. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Is that Classic Eggman's response in the Japanese version (or other localizations)? Because his line in the dub is "Nobody calls me that anymore."

15. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    So thanks to Pengi who spotted this:
    https://info.sonicretro.org/Yuji_Naka_interview_by_Sega.com_(January_2004)
    Sega.com: Did Sonic have a hand in changing Dr. Robotnik's name to Dr. Eggman for the United States games? If so, was he trying to make fun of his nemesis? Yuji Naka: To tell the truth, his name has not changed. Robotnik is his real name and Eggman is a common name taken after his shape. Possibly, it may have been Sonic, who uttered this alias for the first time! I feel, though, Sonic uses this name affectionately, rather than trying to make fun of him.

This explains it. There's a lot of love for lore in these videos, so them using an explanation that didn’t fit well and that I wrongly thought came from a dub alternation was hugely disappointing. But it looks like the explanation actually came from Naka himself, so that's why they used it. So I take back my comments, as they were just sticking to established lore. Can't fault them for that.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  16. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Is that what he says in the Japanese version?
    I remember in the English version he's saying: "Nobody calls me that anymore".

EDIT: Ninja'd by @Crappy Blue

17. MastaSys

MastaSys

And don't forget Wing Fortress Zone and Sonic Drift 2 (I think even Jam). Plain "Eggman" in sight, no ambiguous "Egg" something. If you go by the western localization prism.
    And of course re-releases makes reference to it.

It will be one of those things it's not clear for when it happened, like SegaSonic and such.

...Until Sega pinpoints specifically of course in the future, like CD.

(Still no consistency on the Eevo/Ayvo pronunciation...)

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    They're rolling back a lot of these explanations to the Yuji Naka ones, I've noticed. And I'm all for it.

19. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I was paraphrasing the English dub. The Japanese dialogue went:
    Classic Tails: There's two of Eggman?
    Classic Eggman: You seem surprised. Would you mind filling them in, greatest genius of the century, Dr. Eggman of the future?
    For comparison, the English version was:
    Classic Tails: Dr. Robotnik!
    Classic Eggman: You seem surprised. Nobody calls me that anymore. If you would be so kind as to explain, gentleman genius Dr. Eggman from the future…

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  20. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

I'm sorry, are you sure this Japanese line is correct?
    Because Classic Eggman waves his finger as saying 'no' when in the English dub he's saying "nobody calls me that anymore". It doesn't seem like he would wave a 'no' for this Japanese line.