don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Unlimited Trees

Unlimited Trees

we Do a Little Mischief, Mischief... Member
    When
    UNITRES, Project Time, etc.
    i think itd be really funny and awesome if they just permanently removed the american soundtrack from sonic cd. its about time fans of 'sonic boom' suffered

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. RikohZX

RikohZX

It is interesting to see the solution for the "wrapper problem" of Sega's own work being to basically reinstate the actual vanilla style menus for the games individually, even if it meant a new menu approach for Sonic 2. After we've had the mobile menus for all these games that then load into a title screen and then the game, it's a nice bit of intentionally-produced nostalgia to try to make them a bit more authentic to their, ahem, origins.

3. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Exactly what I was looking for thanks!

I also notice this article mentions some Sonic 3 standalone songs that are overwritten in 3K will still be in the museum, which is interesting!

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    This is a theory worth testing.

So hey guys what about that gallery of supermodels cosplaying Rouge the Bat in the premium museum?

*runs*

5. The Deleter

The Deleter

Not sure how much this would impact Sonic 3's soundtrack in hindsight but I did have this shared recently, thought it might be worth sharing here:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  6. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Heard Brad Buxer say this before and I believe him completely. It makes a lot of sense that MJ was brought on the project, had nothing to do with it practically, and so his team got the credit. Which is why MJ is not credited on the game but his team are.

I guess the point of contention is probably how much Brad Buxer did (he always implies he did the majority of the work) and how much the rest of the team did. I've always thought that the legal disputes are probably of a more banal nature between the members of MJ's team and SEGA rather than involving MJ's estate in a significant way.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. RDNexus

RDNexus

Now that I think about it, there was at least another island they could've added to the menu map: Chaotix's Newtrogic High.
    I'm not sure right now if there are other islands from the Classic Era that could be contenders as well... ^^"

8. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Tbh that actually would have been my bet for the Museum island

that the Veg-O fortress got rep is still really Surprising to me

9. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    The timing is interesting although Buxer has been open about his work in Sonic 3.

Regardless, the fact that SEGA are keeping quiet about the Sonic 3 music makes it pretty obvious the prototype tracks are getting used and they don't want to make a fuss about it.

And again, as I've said before, I still believe that the prototype getting found with those music tracks allowed the door to be opened on Sonic 3 & Knuckles getting released again.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    If I were to guess what the licensing issues are with the other musicians are, it's probably that they wrote other songs for the game that went unused; particularly the tracks that weren't replaced. I remember some other musician our fanbase has talked to (Scirocco?) mentioning he was working with MJ on a water track for stage 2 (Hydrocity); but we know that wasn't changed. The issues about not getting paid might have partly to do with them not getting payment for songs they were commissioned to do but went unused. Because otherwise it sounds like Brad might've been responsible for every "MJ" track that made it in.

I wonder what this means for Origins overall though. Is this being publicly spoken right now because they worked out something on Origins and it's alright to speak about now? Or is it because they didn't work out something on Origins, and Brad's here to spread awareness right before it becomes apparent to the public that the music has changed? I guess we'll see.

11. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    This was beyond insufferable to read. Honestly, why are people even still bitching about the inclusion of the US track at this point? The 2011 Sonic CD, which gives players the option to choose the JP/EUR soundtrack (which I personally don't think is all that special), has been around for over a decade now.

12. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    That mini video with Buxer talking about Sonic 3 was stuff he had already touched upon back when he did the MJCast interview in 2019.

I honestly believe that it’s as simple as the composers wanting royalties for all the previous re-releases of the game with their music. It would explain why we first found out about the legal threats in 2012, after the Steam release of Sonic 3. So some sort of agreement was definitely reached recently that allowed the game to come out of legal hell. But then again we don’t know the details of their agreement with SEGA, and likely never will, so this is only speculation.

Also correct me if I wrong, but do composers still get paid for unused music, whether in games or movies? Or is it only for whatever makes it into the final product?

13. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Speaking as an indie developer, I've always paid for commissions upfront or upon job completion, and in the event something goes unused I just eat the cost. Contract work is different of course, usually I agree to pay a fixed amount before work begins, with the contract detailing the scope of the work in advance. I'm not entirely sure how larger studios handle things in comparison but I wouldn't be surprised if they were more proactive in pinching pennies.

• List
  14. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    You're taking the sentence "its about time fans of 'sonic boom' suffered" at face value. Honestly, the tone of your response makes me feel like you didn't really read the post you're quoting at all.

15. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    Oh, no, I did read it, but you're right that I may have taken that post a little too seriously.

16. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

I don't think this is the case at all. Here's a 2016 Huffington Post interview (https://testkitchen.huffingtonpost.com/michaeljacksonsonic/#/) with all of the major players. This is years after the so-called legal threats and not one mention of anything related to a legal or financial controversy. I found the link to this from the well-maintained Retro wiki: https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3/Development/Music.

The article was actually pretty interesting, getting some earlier stories from Buxer related to the included compositions and the process as told by Brooks, Cirocco and Grigsby.

Jackson's team refutes the idea that he was removed from the credits by Sega in response to the Evan Chandler allegations and insisted that he asked to be removed due to the sound quality of the Genesis. They claim the sounds are in the game and make no mention of money, contracts or disputes.

Roger Hector, formerly of Sega, claims that they were needed to remove the Jackson team compositions in response to the ensuing public scandal and that Howard Drossin was "tapped" to do it.

Drossin says that he never replaced anything and that there were a lot of music already done by the time he started working on it. He was told on his second day that he'd be eventually be working with Michael Jackson on the project but that abruptly informed him the plans were changed and that Jackson was out.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Interesting. Michael was so upset at the time, he didn't even care about the Sonic 3 project anymore. And Buxer was under the impression that the Sonic 3 soundtrack deal was still on by at least mid-September when Michael was in Moscow.

18. Snowbound

Snowbound

The reason your original post tripped me up was because I recalled seeing a youtube video by a Latin American fan who said that Sonic & Knuckles wasn’t released with the lock on feature in his country and he had no idea about Sonic 3 and Knuckles for his entire childhood. Given that I thought it wasn’t out of the realm of possibility that it just wasn’t released in some countries.

• List
  19. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    My favorite part about that video is how casually Buxer.... just flat-out says that Michael did ostensibly nothing for the project. Nothing screams "teamwork" like writing over 40 cues while the other person writes... 1. :doge:

I'm still holding out hope for the final tracks to be in the game. IMO it's not that fishy to me that they haven't shown any of those stages. I mean, it's not like they've shown us a whole lot to begin with, just some tiny little breadcrumbs of gameplay footage and an overview of the Museum and menus, plus a little sneak peek of the new animations. If there's any reason for them to not comment on this whole thing, it could honestly just be the fact that they don't want to give it any attention or further credibility, or that doing so could create problems.

20. The island from SegaSonic the Hedgehog, unless it happens to be the same as the similarly structured island from Spinball. I would really love it if the Isolated Island/Mysterious Island from Chaotix was some unlockable along with the OSTs. Perhaps unlocked upon purchasing the music dlc?