don't click here

What is your preferred controller for playing classic Sonic?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by jbr, May 24, 2022.

What is your preferred controller for playing classic Sonic?

1. Genesis controller

39 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. XBox 360 or similar D-pad

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. PlayStation or similar D-pad

14 vote(s)
    18.4%
  4. Other controller D-pad

16 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. Analog stick

7 vote(s)
    9.2%
  6. Keyboard

9 vote(s)
    11.8%
  7. Joystick (am stuck in the 90s)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Touchscreen (am a psychopath)

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gold lightning

gold lightning

If I'm not using an OG six button pad, my go-to is my 8bitdo m30. That thing is nearly perfect for any 2D games I play.

2. Yuzu

Yuzu

If I’m not using a Retro-Bit Saturn pad I’m pretty much exclusively using an Xbox Series controller, love the d-pads that both have.

3. RainyRoses

RainyRoses

See You Next Post Member
    I prefer the newer gen Xbox 'Series' controllers or the Switch Pro controller. I've used mostly the Xbox ones for Mania and other games on my pc. PS4 controllers, imo dont have a good feel to them. a little too small in general, mostly the D-pad and handles, and it's kinda slippy on the thumbsticks. I haven't tried PS5 controllers but when I worked a GameStop, a lot of people wanted them.

4. Genny or Saturn pads for me.
    Random, but I've played classic Sonic games with a dance pad before.

5. I’m Wheels

I’m Wheels

My favorite dpad ever is on the Hori Pokken Tournament controller. I use that for everything 2D.

6. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    Mouse.

7. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    This thread is really interesting. I live and die by the analog stick despite growing up with a Genesis pad, at a certain point I just kinda decided I never wanna play with a D-pad again, for any reason except fighting games for certain inputs

8. ELS

ELS

Saturn easily. It's just a better Genesis controller.

9. I recently have been using my Switch Pro controller for both Sonic games and just video games in general, unless I'm playing on my actual Sega Genesis, in which I use the regular Genesis controller. It can be kind of hard to get the Pro controller set up to my PC but the layout of the controller works perfectly for me. I do kind of want to get a Genesis-like controller for my computer eventually though.

10. Nintendo Switch Pro Controller

11. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

Having just played Origins, Switch Pro.

12. Venny

Venny

I use a PS4 controller and the D-Pad primarily, but if I could I would use a Saturn controller easily

13. TrackerTD

TrackerTD

Dragon Land is Screaming! Member
    Right now I use the 8BitDo M30, but I also like using the Saturn pad and... my arcade stick! The Arcade Stick's great because the massive, clicky buttons make mashing the shit out of spin dash charging feel extremely tactile and satisfying, not to mention fast. But I hold the Saturn and M30 pad sort of like a fighting game when charging a spin with those anyway; I can just hammer the face buttons and rev up in no time. The Tax/Stealth decompilations having mappable controls helps with this considerable.

14. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I've been forced to use my XB1-type gamepad to play in Origins because Sega doesn't want me to use the arrow keys to play the games, and I recommend to not use one of those: I feel much less "in control" than I feel playing on Mega Drive, a feeling I already had in Mania, hence why I chose to use the keyboard (no, I have no more gamepads).

15. USB steering wheel

16. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Keyboard lolol

17. I have a USB 3 button Genesis controller. I use it for every classic sonic game I play. Just feels right.

18. corneliab

corneliab

I don't have one. Classic Sonic controls are very simple, so I've just never developed any sort of preference (aside from rather not having touch controls). Hell, I'm even fine with using an analog stick in these games even though I wouldn't be able to stand doing so in other 2D games.

19. Prototype

Prototype

NES Power Pad + Power Glove combo

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Alright, if we're just going to be dumb I think this can be locked now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.